Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Not my first bike but its been 43 years since I last rode. I really like the Z400 as it seems like a modern version of my last bike, a Yamaha RD350 bought new in 73.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got this as my first bike. So far very happy with it. So much more fun after the break in period was done. I spent a lot of time overseas where everyone was riding It got the thought in my head like wth is my problem i should learn already. Its really amusing how 5 bucks fills up my gas tank. It takes 50 plus to fill up my suv.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
The Z400 is my very first bike as well. I’m enjoying it. Though I feel I’m going to grow out of it pretty quickly and look for something a little bigger for next season 🤷🏻‍♀️
Congrats on the Z. It's a great bike. Don't be tempted to get a bigger bike so soon. You will not outgrow it. You may get bored of it and fancy something different. But there's no reason you, as a brand new rider, will "outgrow" a 400cc motorcycle with 45HP that goes well over 100mph and has a sub 5 second 0-60 time...

Take it from someone who has owned many of the big HP motorcycles, the Ninja400/Z400 has all the power you need and is way more fun. If your riding mates on the 1000+cc bikes are leaving you in the dust on the straights, just relish in the fact that as soon as the roads start to bend, you will be on an even playing field...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats on the Z. It's a great bike. Don't be tempted to get a bigger bike so soon. You will not outgrow it. You may get bored of it and fancy something different. But there's no reason you, as a brand new rider, will "outgrow" a 400cc motorcycle with 45HP that goes well over 100mph and has a sub 5 second 0-60 time...

Take it from someone who has owned many of the big HP motorcycles, the Ninja400/Z400 has all the power you need and is way more fun. If your riding mates on the 1000+cc bikes are leaving you in the dust on the straights, just relish in the fact that as soon as the roads start to bend, you will be on an even playing field...
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm on motorcycle #10. Not going to list them all but my Z400 is crazy awesome! I've made a lot of comfort modifications but changing the front sprocket up to 15 has transformed and extended the overall feel. I'm not joking, plan to ride this Z400 until I'm 80.

·
Registered
236 Posts
SandraO,

Group riding should be done at the pace of the slowest rider/bike combination so as to not leave them behind or encourage them to ride faster than they should to try and keep up. If everyone else is tearing off and leaving you behind that's on them, and if they won't ride at your speed you should find some new people to ride with who will.

I've never ridden a Blackbird (like Boat and Ninjabird had) or a Hayabusa but I'm sure they are a hoot on the rare occasion you can unleash the power. I've done a few rides on friends' GSXR1000s. Great motors, but for riding around on modern streets filled with 2 and 4 wheeled bozos and cops looking for revenue enhancement, they've got too many gears (a good wide-ratio four speed would probably be about right) and excessive horsepower. It is a lot more interesting to ride a slower bike closer to its potential than to stay below 1/4 throttle 95% of the time.

I bought an SV650 project bike about 10 years ago and rode it about 10-15 miles at which point I decided it had more power than I needed or wanted. But then it wasn't going to the track and after 45 years of racing I'm pretty certain that riding on the street as if one is on the track is probably not going to be a good plan.

If you do look for a bigger street bike in the future consider a 650-900 twin. They've got more than plenty of usable horsepower and it is a better fit to the street than many IL4 sport bikes. The Yamaha MT/FZ07 is supposed to be lots of fun, and Ducatis and Guzzis certainly are.

If you've only got one bike that will be on the public streets, then get something good for that kind of riding. Modern supersport bikes can be very effective track bikes, but going out for a day of riding on fun roads (to me, that means 20-50 mph twisties) on one of them can get old pretty quickly.

I'm with Flash Bantam in that I don't anticipate buying another street bike that isn't a Kawasaki 400. It suits me. That is not to say that I don't eventually plan to have an N/Z400 project bike to go with the "ride when I want to ride" N400. I've got to have something to tinker with . . .

cheers,
Michael

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
I do get left behind on the straights. My riding partner does it all the time on his much bigger bike 🙄 I’m certainly not bored with my bike, maybe it’s just me running out of things on the bike to change from black to red, LOL
Any wanker can twist the throttle in a straight line, butt be'in proficient at cornering is real riding, 'n the Z400 is very good at this. Maybe wind her up a little more?

If you get bored, you can always upgrade the motor, gearing, brakes 'n suspension; this is one of the best platforms to work with. :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any wanker can twist the throttle in a straight line, butt be'in proficient at cornering is real riding, 'n the Z400 is very good at this. Maybe wind her up a little more?

If you get bored, you can always upgrade the motor, gearing, brakes 'n suspension; this is one of the best platforms to work with. :p

Oh, don’t get me wrong, my riding partner can also take the turns quite well. I’m never pushed beyond my comfort level either. He’s been a phenomenal riding teacher for me. I haven’t done huge upgrades yet, but am slowly getting there with that

21 - 40 of 51 Posts