Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How has this global COVID-19 pandemic affected you and yours? Do you suddenly have a lot of free time on your hands? What do you plan to do with it? More time to ride and wrench on the ride!

For me it's mostly the kids being home from school and the wife not being able to go into work. That makes for a lot of free time at home for chores and family time, which I must admit is something we've been lacking lately. A deep spring cleaning and de-clutter is in the works in my household. I still have to go into work myself due to my line of work...

Personally it's not the virus I'm worried about. It's people's overreaction to it. All the panic buying and hoarding has made things harder for those less fortunate. Please be sure to help those who need it if you have the means. I have to make a grocery delivery to an elderly family member tonight...

There's still a bunch of uncertainty right now, but I know we will all pull through this eventually. Try to stay positive and use this time to better yourself and your surroundings if at all possible...

I know this may come off as all "Kumbaya", but that's just the way I am... :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
I believe most of us have the idea my Daughter voiced during a conversation we had the other evening.. 'I'm young and healthy, so I'm not too worried about it'. While I'm glad, and I agreed with her.. I reminded her that her Mom recently finished a round of radiation treatments for cancer. And at least for now, was neither young nor healthy. So, it's not about "us" healthy ones, it's about those more vulnerable. It's called "Public Health" for a reason. Stay home and enjoy the time you have to recalibrate thoughts and priorities. :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Seeing that we're both retired, this is not having a great amount of personal impact at this time except for the hoarders. Even the schoolkids in our lives are of an age where they can be home alone. I suspect that our governments have gone from an irrational complacency to an irrational panic without stopping at a reasonable and measured response.

BBC and CNN both reported that there's a worst case scenario study from a medical college in the UK, which I suspect might be driving the recent panicky governmental responses.

Panic is never the answer. Except if the question is how to manipulate others for some advantage. Does anyone else have an ominous feeling since Ohio called off today's election?

And I think the economy will go further down, but I'm hopeful it will rebound after 6 months to a year assuming a return to relatively normal conditions once the panic is over.

Since my wife and I aren't elderly smokers and don't have any other troubling preexisting conditions, we're unlikely to be in very bad shape should we catch Corvid-19. So we're making it known that we can help out the more vulnerable folks should the time come.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I am just super bored. Everything here is closed. Add to that a gloomy weather and I cant get out the house with the motorcycle even just for a meaningless ride.

I am without a job at the moment (on steps for being self employed I hope and believe) so there's that. Just trying to do as many chores around the house as possible. Stocked up on some paint and re-doing some walls around the house :)

Did my first ever serious home workout today, used a pair of small chairs, a big bucket with some water to provide as a dumbbell, a mat and a foam roller. There's no gyms so...

Just wishing it would just be over, or at least for the sun to be out! a total nightmare....

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am just super bored. Everything here is closed. Add to that a gloomy weather and I cant get out the house with the motorcycle even just for a meaningless ride.

I am without a job at the moment (on steps for being self employed I hope and believe) so there's that. Just trying to do as many chores around the house as possible. Stocked up on some paint and re-doing some walls around the house :)

Did my first ever serious home workout today, used a pair of small chairs, a big bucket with some water to provide as a dumbbell, a mat and a foam roller. There's no gyms so...

Just wishing it would just be over, or at least for the sun to be out! a total nightmare....
Hang in there bud. Working out is a great way to spend extra time. And there are lots of ways to do it at home even without any equipment. Jumping rope, planks, yoga, stretchiing, pushups, situps...etc
Search YouTube for more ideas...

Also a good time to read a book...

·
Registered
647 Posts
Everything is about normal around my bubble of everyday life. Walmart’s look about the same. Some stores are out of misc things. I collect Hot Wheels cars so I am always in a dollar store or Walmart looking for the rare find.

Today apparently the thing to buy was bread because my neighborhood grocery was out of bread.
work is normal, actually pretty busy.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
We are in the early stages here and only have 20 cases at end of play today, but it was 12 yst at same time so it's coming... All are folk recently returned from overseas so the Govt clamping down on air travel on the wkd was the right move. Some tourists are refusing to self isolate though so some are being deported. Tourism is our biggest industry after agriculture so it is going to hit us hard economically. Lots of job losses announced all ready.
Air travel has made the world a smaller place. In NZ your just a longer plane trip away from what ever is being spread around the world.
Everyone's still going to work here mostly and schools are open but that may change. At home I'm mostly busy trying to get refunds on stuff I had planned, I tend to do a lot of things because I can without having ties.
On a positive note I'm picking up my new SV this wkd so that will be cool. (y)

·
Registered
652 Posts
I am still out on medical leave. Right hip injury. I go too the gym 4 days a week sometimes 5. That helps tremendously with my rehab and keeps me sane during the winter months. My gym closed on Monday for 2 weeks or longer. Have to find other ways to workout/rehab. I finally got my 750 back from the dyno tuner. I have a few things I want to do on the 750. Another bike to ride around! I usually go into NYC on Friday’s to meet ex co workers for a liquid lunch, that’s out now. All the bars/restaurants are closed, take out only.
Guess it’s time to break out the grill and throw some tasty stuff on the grill this weekend!

·
Registered
437 Posts
For me its all about being away from family. I live in one country and work in another. I left home for work just as the virus was coming around. Now I am stuck in my working country (UAE). It isnt too bad, just not sure when I am going to make it home again to see my family. I have just under 2 weeks left of work, and have already decided not to go home. I couldnt live with myself if I contracted COVID19 on the flight home and brought it to my wife and son.

it wasnt an easy decision by any means. The wife and I both discussed it for a few hours and decided we are both safe where we are. I work off shore and everyone coming into UAE is mandatory 2 weeks quarantine. So right now my work is one of the safest places to be, however in April when I get out of work I will be staying in town. My company has offered anyone willing to stay in UAE free room and board at one of their camps. I have been to these camps before and its similar to a prison camp, no bars or 20 foot high razor wire fences, but far from town. I know I would go crazy being there so I have decided to rent a hotel for my off days.

they have a lot of long stay hotels that are fairly cheap. The one I will be staying in has a small kitchen, with pots and pans, washer and dryer etc. Its not one of the cheapest places to stay, however I will be in it for 4 weeks and need to have a little bit of comfort to feel human. With all that said its going to be a minimum of 3 months before I will see my family in person. I miss them already :( if things get worse (COVID19) who knows when I will make it home again.

Hoping that everyone is doing okay and staying away from the crap @ss virus.

·
Super Moderator
801 Posts
Lots of cases of the nasty bug here in LA. My wife is a Neuro ICU nurse so it is just a matter of time before it runs through my family! My kid is out of school, looks like it will be for the rest of the semester. My mother-in-law just past away in Spain. They had a very small funeral and of course my wife could not go. Still out of toilet paper but the stores are starting to get a few more things back on the shelf. I decided to hoard Guinness when I found it yesterday, then I got greedy and drank most of it last night during our very small St Paddy's Day party. All my clients are not thinking of their yachts right now, so I am very slow right now. The good news: there were a few survivor beers still left in the fridge this morning (I must be getting old!), and now that the bloody rain has stopped I will have some bike time today. AND, there was a famous N400 on front page of CNN online this morning! If you are reading this, Cheers!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
On a positive note I'm picking up my new SV this wkd so that will be cool. (y)
Speaking of SVs. Zeke from the 300 Forum posted a few photos of his new SV650X. Grinning like a school boy playing hide and seek. I suspect you'll do the same. How about sharing your photos with us.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I loves me some SV!
I’ve owned 3 SV1000’s and 1 650...My 04!blue 1000 was actually featured as “SV of the Month” on SVRiders...
I forget which month or year it was it’s been so long...

Anyways, to everyone out there suffering during this crisis, I just want to say hang in there and stay strong. Help others when you can, and seek help if you need it...

And let’s not even talk about the stock market or our 401K’s...
:eek::oops:o_O

Here‘s a glamour shot of my 03 SV1K at Thunderhill...
Edit: I’m still getting the hang of this new picture posting process...I also somehow managed to mess up my showcase format...LOL

5364A291-7CFB-4D94-8B1A-6EF1DE46D393.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
Awesome!
I've got about 1/2 a case of Heineken left...I'm gonna have to do another beer run soon!
I find it more practical to make my beer runs early..sssh in the morning. On those occasional days in question, 10am tends to place me in the sweet spot between "why am I out of beer from yesterday"?, and "why should I out of beer today"?? o_O

·
Registered
333 Posts
I think I might have caught a cold. 🤧 But I've been around a niece who had strep and a bro-in-law who has been flying. So, out of an abundance of precaution, I'm exaggerating social distancing and also moving to the guest room to protect my wife.

Probably nothing but a cold. Oh well. If I feel better in a few days, I can at least assume that my immune system has been charged up and is ready to go. :LOL:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Affecting me a fair amount so far and not getting any better. Race season hasn't really started, especially with the Daytona weekend being canceled when I was already there but before the races started. Gyms closed. Most things closed for that matter...but not work. Oh no! Gotta be really the end of the world until they'll just let us work from home, then they might start talking about closing for a bit. Can't travel anywhere which is a significant part of my job. Yearly trip to Germany has unofficially been canceled. Vacation with some friends to Austria and Romania is off now as well. On the bright side, I'm saving a bit of money and vacation days by not doing any of that stuff lol

·
Super Moderator
801 Posts
We in California just got put in lock up...I mean lock down...I mean house arrest...I mean home stay...trying to figure out what my punishment for riding my Ninja through Malibu mañana ? A warning, a ticket...maybe firing squad...OK sorry, just a bit down after all this. I never thought I would be excited to go to work, money is so over rated!

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Speaking of SVs. Zeke from the 300 Forum posted a few photos of his new SV650X. Grinning like a school boy playing hide and seek. I suspect you'll do the same. How about sharing your photos with us.
I loves me some SV!
I’ve owned 3 SV1000’s and 1 650...My 04!blue 1000 was actually featured as “SV of the Month” on SVRiders...
I forget which month or year it was it’s been so long...
Nice shot Boat. Yep I will bang up some new SV shots for sure when I get the bike nxt weekend.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts