Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I've searched and seen a few posts about it...but as a rider who regularly beats the crap out of my bike the sound is driving me absolutely nuts. At high rpm during aggressive accel or decel my **** horn is going off. I called the dealer and they havent heard of it. Who has gone to the dealer and had this problem fixed so I can pass on the info? They're gonna call kawasaki and ask them about it too before I bring it in next week. Any insight is helpful.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Known issue. Seems to slowly go away as it breaks in. Mine used to do it a lot but now barely does it. Only happened once on my last canyon run.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bike is at about 1700kms so past break in. Took it to the track yesterday and it was doing it non stop. Once is more than zero and more than zero is not okay with me for a new bike and such a weird problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Remove the bolt that attaches the horn to the bike, place the rubber washer between the horn bracket and the mounting point on the bike. A piece of leather might work too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome will give that a shot. So what is the problem then? Vibrations triggering the horn?

Remove the bolt that attaches the horn to the bike, place the rubber washer between the horn bracket and the mounting point on the bike. A piece of leather might work too.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Wut!! Kawi skimped on a measly rubber washer! Guess it's part of their weight reduction design.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Shh! Don't tell kiwi rider as he'll be disappointed that kawa saved 2 grams that he couldn't remove and save himself :grin:
You'll keep! :smile_big:
You know, I have looked sideways at the horn before on this and previous bikes. Mainly because I probably use it like twice a year. But when you need it you need it..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, so I've tried 3 different rubber washers of various thickness and width and nothing has stopped the honking still

·
Registered
744 Posts
Alright, so I've tried 3 different rubber washers of various thickness and width and nothing has stopped the honking still
If Kawi won't give you a new horn, try relocating it/ fasten it to a different location.

·
Registered
744 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Pulling the fuse doesn't fix the problem either.
Don't pull the fuse, cause the brake light and horn share the same fuse.

If relocating the horn doesn't solve it, maybe tape weights to the horn itself. If it isn't broken, something's has to be done to counter the resonant frequency of the engine rpm's.

If OP doesn't solve it, I'd just get an air horn :smile_big:

Reactions: L337sponge

·
Registered
358 Posts
Don't pull the fuse, cause the brake light and horn share the same fuse.

If relocating the horn doesn't solve it, maybe tape weights to the horn itself. If it isn't broken, something's has to be done to counter the resonant frequency of the engine rpm's.

If OP doesn't solve it, I'd just get an air horn :smile_big:
Had it pulled for the track, that's how I know. Meep meep the little 400 that could.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts