Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Humblebrag--I've lost enough weight that my MC pants were looking droopy, kinda like in the song. So I bought some heavy duty clip on suspenders to try. So far, I've only worn them in the house, and they do the job comfortably even with the heavy thermal lining zipped in them. I'll give the suspenders a proper test while riding this weekend and update this review.

Holdup X-back Heavy Duty 2" Wide Graphite Black Suspenders with Patented jumbo Gripper Clasps at Amazon Men’s Clothing store: Apparel Suspenders

And if y'all don't remember the song:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Congrats on the weight loss!

One thing I would say is, if you're having to mod gear, make sure anywhere with armour is still tight enough. I've binned a bike in oversized textiles before, and the armour just moved and did nothing to absorb any crash force. I was lucky that it was fairly slow paced.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Congrats on the weight loss!

One thing I would say is, if you're having to mod gear, make sure anywhere with armour is still tight enough. I've binned a bike in oversized textiles before, and the armour just moved and did nothing to absorb any crash force. I was lucky that it was fairly slow paced.
Yep, I made adjustments and I'm still within the pant's design parameters. It's just that taking 3 or 4 inches off my belly left nowhere for the high-waisted pants to hang onto until they reached my hips, and that gave me a rear end like a toddler's droopy diaper. Not the look I was going for. :rolleyes:

Last year's goal was simply to get off the high blood pressure meds I'd been prescribed a few years ago. Side effects include that my OEM knees no longer feel like they need replacement (I was eyeing some fancy titanium aftermarket units) and my shirts no longer gap at the waist. I was also doubting my ability to safely complete another Iron Butt certified ride for the past few years, now I feel confident to do so again. I did "maintenance" all winter. This summer I have to push forward to give myself a safety margin. I also think it helped with my sleep apnea. Kicking that would also be a good thing.

I'm treating this as work, not a hobby. So I set meaningful progress goals (e.g., health related, not lbs. or inches), and use a continuous improvement mentality.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Congrats on the weight lose. That's awesome work right there. I wouldn't worry too much about those too big trousers though. What's the worst that could happen?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ms. Noire and I took a balanced ride this afternoon while I was wearing the suspenders. Both open and urban interstate, city streets, rural highways, and a stop to buy her some "lunch." The suspenders didn't cause any restrictions of movement, including getting on and off the bike. The clips never came undone. And I didn't even feel the suspenders while riding. In fact, I barely feel them while walking.

They passed the test.

Reactions: Tracy

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
The only thing I find with suspenders, since I will wear them alot while on the fire scene, is when I have a decent day of calls and working fires, accidents, etc. or spend 2-4+ hours wearing them and working, they chaff my chest, my nips to be specific. I have normal nips, they are not over sized or long by any means either. I also am not overly ripped, but I do have some pecs from working out and they do protrude further than my stomach.

These look to be a softer smoother material as well as opposed to what comes on firemen's turnout gear

I attached a thin strip of fleece or felt or whatever, wrapped around each one and held in place with a few stitches in the area that makes contact with my chest and that fixed that....not sure riding would ever cause that, and I guess it also depends on your build maybe, but on long rides like iron butt it might become an issue

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only thing I find with suspenders, since I will wear them alot while on the fire scene, is when I have a decent day of calls and working fires, accidents, etc. or spend 2-4+ hours wearing them and working, they chaff my chest, my nips to be specific. I have normal nips, they are not over sized or long by any means either. I also am not overly ripped, but I do have some pecs from working out and they do protrude further than my stomach.

These look to be a softer smoother material as well as opposed to what comes on firemen's turnout gear

I attached a thin strip of fleece or felt or whatever, wrapped around each one and held in place with a few stitches in the area that makes contact with my chest and that fixed that....not sure riding would ever cause that, and I guess it also depends on your build maybe, but on long rides like iron butt it might become an issue
I don't think the suspenders put any pressure anywhere on my entire front torso when riding because I'm leaned forward a fair amount.

I'm really sorry because your problem is real, but the first thought I had when you said chaffed nipples was to suggest pasties. :LOL: I've known people who have a similar issue with seatbelt shoulder straps. It can be a real distraction. And you don't need any distraction while working.

Reactions: b0Xcrash

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I don't think the suspenders put any pressure anywhere on my entire front torso when riding because I'm leaned forward a fair amount.

I'm really sorry because your problem is real, but the first thought I had when you said chaffed nipples was to suggest pasties. :LOL: I've known people who have a similar issue with seatbelt shoulder straps. It can be a real distraction. And you don't need any distraction while working.
Lol yeah, I know, I know its funny, and no reason to be sorry, and yes its a "what the heck did this guy just say in this thread?!?!" But yeah, I would think all the movements we do, leaning, crawling, climbing, bending, lifting and crap like that it would not be as big of a problem, but here I was faced with the issue.

And maybe that is it, all the moving and working.........I need to learn to just stand around and watch the younger team members do all the work like the older guys, or dedicated pump operator(which is probably the most important job on scene)...guess even after 10-12 years of fire service I have not quite figured out the less working bit, lol

Or just lay off the working out bit until I can no longer make my pecs dance like the rock......then my stomach should move the suspenders out far enough that a gap would be present from my stomach to my shoulders where they actually touch my body, lol

·
Registered
668 Posts
I was actually thinking you should attach some small emory cloth squares and “lean into it” but I guess everyone has their own thing lol.

Reactions: Baxter

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I would but I don't want to be censored or sent to Forum jail for 24 hrs 🐉
Perhaps you want to test the boundaries with something mild?

I'm just here to make trouble. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts