Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only done one track day about a year ago on my old ninja 300 and loved it. Been itching to go again ever since but I don't really have an affordable option for transportation. How many of y'all just ride the bike there, do your runs, and ride it home?

My car is a Miata... so not the best for towing purposes.

I've been wanting to get a zx6r, or FZ09, for awhile (as a second bike or to replace the 400 - I dont want to get rid of the 400, but having two bikes is something I'm not sure I can justify), and I've heard some people towing their bike with another bike :LOL:. I'm tempted.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I've only done one track day about a year ago on my old ninja 300 and loved it. Been itching to go again ever since but I don't really have an affordable option for transportation. How many of y'all just ride the bike there, do your runs, and ride it home?

My car is a Miata... so not the best for towing purposes.

I've been wanting to get a zx6r, or FZ09, for awhile (as a second bike or to replace the 400 - I dont want to get rid of the 400, but having two bikes is something I'm not sure I can justify), and I've heard some people towing their bike with another bike :LOL:. I'm tempted.
I don't recommend riding your bike to the track. Not much you can take with you that way, and if you crash and bike gets damaged, you're kinda screwed at that point. Like many others, I started out towing with a car (it was a Mercedes C300 at the time). Had a little lightweight trailer that I could fit a bike on, probably weight only like 300-400 lbs, so all in all with the bike I doubt I was towing more than 800lbs, which any car can do that. The problem with the Miata is I'm not sure you can get a hitch receiver installed on that, but maybe it's possible. It really isn't a great choice for towing that's for sure. This hobby is how you start looking at vehicles differently lol I went from my Mercedes, to getting a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and when that wasn't enough, because I got an enclosed trailer, I ended up getting a truck. Now I wish I had a 3/4-ton diesel cuz my 1500 struggles with my current trailer lol

Another option is to make friends with someone that can take your bike to the track. I helped a co-worker with that at his first track day since he drove a Honda Civic and couldn't get his bike to the track.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
I’d say rent a U-Haul truck for a day. Or beg a friend or family member to borrow their truck and offer to fill up their tank and detail it for them...

Also, If you’re in California, check out this company. They rent out a fleet of Ninja 400’s and provide everything you need...

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Well it can be done if your keen. My first two seasons when I was riding in a ‘hav-a-go’ class on my road bike I rode to the track on my bike a few times when I couldn’t work in with someone else going.
I had a small 5 litre jerry can strapped to the back of my bike so I didn’t have my tank full for the first couple of sessions. All I needed to do when I got there to meet the requirements was remove my mirrors and put tape on my headlights. So I had some basic tools and a roll of electrical tape under the seat.
Ah, those were the free and easy days... now I feel like a travelling circus with all the crap I cart to the track!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Check with Flyin’ Miata. They sell hitches for all four generations.

Do you track your Miata?

View attachment 15370
Yep I have seen many Miata's with a tow hitch, and I have seen maybe 5 pr 6 before actually hauling trailers.....and twice similar setups pulling bikes........but than again I have seen Goldwing's hauling trailers pulling motorcycles before.......so yeah.........anything is possible. I have seen a few times people show up at the track riding what they brung and a backpack with tools and painters tape, etc. Also you would be surprised, especially pre-covid and South (except maybe far south Florida) and mid-west, how generous track day people can be letting you setup with them and etc....so long as you do not impose usually people are friendly enough

But I would try to set something up with your Miata and haul a bike

·
Registered
85 Posts
notice the pic of the bike on the flatbed trailer. i have seen tires move sideways on a trip. i always trailer a bike like this with wooden blocks screwed down next to the tires.

·
Registered
394 Posts
notice the pic of the bike on the flatbed trailer. i have seen tires move sideways on a trip. i always trailer a bike like this with wooden blocks screwed down next to the tires.
That's prudent.
The trailer in the pic does have a front chock though. Not easy to see at first.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
That is a great idea for sure on a flatbed trailer like that!

I also noticed he has a rear tie down so if its good and tight left to right, it should not jump back and forth...but its not hard to actually create setup where you bolt down some wooden blocks that can be removed and put back down at any time if you use the trailer for other things

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used to ride to the track before I got a trailer. My wife would ride to the track with any supplies. Its doable, just make sure you have someone dependable to call in case you need a ride home and your bike picked up.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I used to ride to the track before I got a trailer. My wife would ride to the track with any supplies. Its doable, just make sure you have someone dependable to call in case you need a ride home and your bike picked up.
Most of us don't live 15 minutes away from one of the most famous tracks in the country, and have to drive quite a few hours to get to one ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Most of us don't live 15 minutes away from one of the most famous tracks in the country, and have to drive quite a few hours to get to one ;)
lol. Yeah, that's a good point. If you live more than 15 minutes away you'll probably be too tired to ride back.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
lol. Yeah, that's a good point. If you live more than 15 minutes away you'll probably be too tired to ride back.
Nah I rode two hours each way to my track. The hardest bit is reigning your throttle hand back in for the trip home!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts