Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess the title says it all. I think they both sound great, the Hindle might be a little louder but is also cheaper. It would be nice to hear from anyone who has either & get some thoughts.

·
Registered
2017 Suzuki GSXR1000 2010 Suzuki GSXR600 x2 2018/19 N400
791 Posts
a majority of us have done full systems as it's just a tad more money and the benefits outweigh the cost! I prefer Akra

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki EX400HJF Ninja, 2020 Kawasaki Z400
14 Posts
I guess the title says it all. I think they both sound great, the Hindle might be a little louder but is also cheaper. It would be nice to hear from anyone who has either & get some thoughts.
I got the Akra titanium slip-on for my '20 N400. I chose that one because it is about the quietest after-market muffler on the market. It is barely louder than the stock one, and that's fine because I'm an old geezer, with neighbors who are easily annoyed. The Akra is very well made, but it is almost as big as the O.E.M. and weighs only three pounds less. Many of my riding buddies were unaware that I had put on an after-market muffler until I pointed it out to them - it is that quiet! So it's not for everyone.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I had the Graves with no quiet insert and it was loud but not obnoxious. Here is a sound clip at idle from my 400 with the Graves. The Graves and Akra are top of the line systems. I have the Hindle Evolution on my ZX6R and it sounds great but that is different than the megaphone sound and more expensive.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the Graves with no quiet insert and it was loud but not obnoxious. Here is a sound clip at idle from my 400 with the Graves. The Graves and Akra are top of the line systems. I have the Hindle Evolution on my ZX6R and it sounds great but that is different than the megaphone sound and more expensive.

That Hindle sounds great! I think I'd take that over the Akra! I think the Akra would be too quiet. Thanks for the videos!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I had/have the HINDLE SLip-on and the HINDLE FULL with dB reducer. It is VERY loud. Much louder then my GSX-R with a full YOSH race exhaust. If you are looking for the SLip-on I do have one for sale. Never used in anger. Only the Mid-Pipe was used. Silencer itself never used

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had/have the HINDLE SLip-on and the HINDLE FULL with dB reducer. It is VERY loud. Much louder then my GSX-R with a full YOSH race exhaust. If you are looking for the SLip-on I do have one for sale. Never used in anger. Only the Mid-Pipe was used. Silencer itself never used
Thank you for your input, I will pass on the Hindle if it's that loud. I'm looking for kinda loud but good sounding. The Akra might be the way to go for me.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thank you for your input, I will pass on the Hindle if it's that loud. I'm looking for kinda loud but good sounding. The Akra might be the way to go for me.
There are 2 different Hindle slip-ons, the Megaphone and the Evolution. The Megaphone is loud, but the Evolution which is what I have on the ZX6R is not obnoxiously loud and is probably about the same as the Akra without the db killer. Both the Akra and Hindle Evolution can run with or without a db killer. I run without the db killer on the Evolution.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are 2 different Hindle slip-ons, the Megaphone and the Evolution. The Megaphone is loud, but the Evolution which is what I have on the ZX6R is not obnoxiously loud and is probably about the same as the Akra without the db killer. Both the Akra and Hindle Evolution can run with or without a db killer. I run without the db killer on the Evolution.
Sorry for the delayed answer, But I can't find anything on how the Evolution sounds. All the videos are of the Megaphone. I'll keep looking but in the meantime, do you still have it & how much?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Sorry for the delayed answer, But I can't find anything on how the Evolution sounds. All the videos are of the Megaphone. I'll keep looking but in the meantime, do you still have it & how much?
Yes I still have the Hindle Evolution on the ZX6R. Here is a link to the Hindle Evolution for the 400. The stainless is 384 and full carbon is 480.

The Hindle Evolution can run with or without a DB killer, by default there is no DB killer included and that would be a separate purchase. Without the DB killer the Hindle Evolution should be louder than the Akra but not as loud as the Hindle Megaphone. The sound clip of my 400 with the Graves is probably about the same volume as the Hindle but with a different sound as a result of the design.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for the delay but do you still have the Hindle Evolution slip on for sale?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Just installed a Yoshimura Alpha and I just LOVE the sound: I rode twice today just to listen to the bike. At idle, it growls in a low tone but as you accelarate it changes to a snarl. It also gives me the impression that I feel better the bike, at least the engine. I have to check myself because since I installed it, I find myself riding faster than I used to (don't want a speeding ticket). The looks are incredible as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just spent a day at a track school that ran Hindles on their Ninja 400s. I have the Akra on my own bike. Of the two, for me there’s no contest… I find the Hindle sounds coarse and raspy compared to the Akra, which makes the bike sound more expensive than it is 😂 All a matter of taste of course… no disrespect intended towards Hindle fans.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just spent a day at a track school that ran Hindles on their Ninja 400s. I have the Akra on my own bike. Of the two, for me there’s no contest… I find the Hindle sounds coarse and raspy compared to the Akra, which makes the bike sound more expensive than it is 😂 All a matter of taste of course… no disrespect intended towards Hindle fans.
Agreed, I want an Akra but Revzilla is out so I'll wait till next year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts