Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats your highway experience so far with the N400?

I havent taken mine out on any major highways yet, Just some State routes and 4 lane roads. I cruise at 60mph no probably, was wondering if if would handle 80mph no problem on major highways.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Whats your highway experience so far with the N400?

I havent taken mine out on any major highways yet, Just some State routes and 4 lane roads. I cruise at 60mph no probably, was wondering if if would handle 80mph no problem on major highways.
It has no issue cruising in the 70 to 80 range all day, your only hitting about 7k rpm's @ 75 Mph with plenty of passing power left at 70Mph.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Most of my riding is twisty highways up the mountain and into the valleys between neighboring towns. It will easily go 80 mph uphill and it seems to hum along at 85-95 mph(around 9000rpm) during flat straights. Pretty windy though, if I was going to do that all day I would get an aftermarket windscreen.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've only ventured onto the highway twice now. Both times only issue I have had/noticed is cross winds. This is my first bike I've owned and specially the first time I hopped on the highway it felt a little more than un-nerving cause I was being pushed around a good amount. Since then though I've gotten used to it as I've had the same exp now on regular roads at higher speeds also.

·
Registered
355 Posts
400 has enough power to cruise easily at 80 and then accelerate to 90 and make a pass without down shifting to 5th.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I go pretty consistently and maintain speed around 80 mph always feel comfortable on the bike.

Reactions: L337sponge

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here in SoCal when traffic is moving I’ll look down and see I’m doing 90 and just keeping with the flow. My baby might be screamin’ but it seems like that’s what she likes. Not even a problem twisting the throttle a little more to pass someone. Had it a little over 100 a couple times and the bike just feels right grounded. The wind can sure tire you out though. Eventually I’ll get a taller windscreen for longer trips.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got caught in the rain on a short 2-3 hour trip on the way there and on the way back. During the day it was a nightmare, I was sliding all over the place... had to pull over when trees started dropping branches.

On the way back it was at night, just fog at first. It wasn't fun and the bike would coast left or right in turns when I was trying to go more straight/upright. Once it started raining it was another nightmare, and I felt completely unsafe. I often felt fishtailing from otherwise minor inputs. Normally in the city I would think it must look pretty cool to see my back-end get a little unwieldly, but on the highway I just kept thinking about the hospital and all the "I told ya sos" I'd soon be hearing if I were to survive the inevitable crash.

I had to slowdown to below the 55 mph limit for the duration, and pulled over several times. Several as in saw the sun come up.

"Sucks, don't it?" and "THAT REALLLLLLY SUCKS MAN!" were a couple of things I heard while changing shirts and playing the waiting game.

I was seriously considering that this wasn't for me.

Today was nice again, and I remembered how fun bikes are. But wet highways, freaking nightmare!!!!!!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had to slowdown to below the 55 mph limit for the duration, and pulled over several times. Several as in saw the sun come up.

"Sucks, don't it?" and "THAT REALLLLLLY SUCKS MAN!" were a couple of things I heard while changing shirts and playing the waiting game.

Today was nice again, and I remembered how fun bikes are. But wet highways, freaking nightmare!!!!!!
Riding in the rain is a blast in the summer, But bad for your bikes chain - Sir your gunna need to oiler up.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I got caught in the rain on a short 2-3 hour trip on the way there and on the way back. During the day it was a nightmare, I was sliding all over the place... had to pull over when trees started dropping branches.

On the way back it was at night, just fog at first. It wasn't fun and the bike would coast left or right in turns when I was trying to go more straight/upright. Once it started raining it was another nightmare, and I felt completely unsafe. I often felt fishtailing from otherwise minor inputs. Normally in the city I would think it must look pretty cool to see my back-end get a little unwieldly, but on the highway I just kept thinking about the hospital and all the "I told ya sos" I'd soon be hearing if I were to survive the inevitable crash.

Are you saying the stock tires are inadequate in the wet? Would you consider an all weather tire like the Metzeler M7 RR for your next set?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I rode mine to work 3 times this past week. My commute to work consists of around 30-35 miles of interstate. ~15 of those miles are the turnpike in which the speed limit is 70 mph. I'm able to ride at a consistent ~90mph pretty easily, and still speed up to pass if necessary.

·
Registered
295 Posts
We get lots of rain over here in UK, unless its really strong gale force we keep riding
a lot of the time we don't slow down much,we should,but we get it that much its just normal.
Our Highways are 70 mph that's max speed in all of UK

·
Registered
77 Posts
Indeed, the stock tires are a worry for me as a rear-round rider who's never even driven a car. No tread to speak of -- especially compared to the Metzeler Lasertec set I have on my old broken-down XJ600, but unfortunately Metzeler doesn't make the matching rear of that set in the EX400's size. When looking around I thought I saw a Bridgestone set in the EX400's sizes that looked to have pretty good tread, reminding me of what I had on the EX250 back 15 years ago or so. For now I don't need to worry as it's hot and dry for the next couple months.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm certain that Ninja 400 can cope with head wind at 75 mph.(120kph.) easily. Problem may arise if you have strong gust wind coming from the side. That would be intimidating. The Ninja will make do for occasional trips, but if you do regularly at speed >80 with cross wind, Ninja 650 would be a better choice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've found it handles better at higher speeds. This bike reminds me a LOT like the Ninja 500R. Perfectly adequate at 100 mph all-day. Minimal buffeting. Still waiting for the double-bubble windscreen at Hot Bodies Racing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've found it handles better at higher speeds. This bike reminds me a LOT like the Ninja 500R. Perfectly adequate at 100 mph all-day. Minimal buffeting. Still waiting for the double-bubble windscreen at Hot Bodies Racing.
I've been bugging them about often since I work across the street from them, they missed the last GA date I was given of the 1st and changed it to "by the end of next week". I'm sure at the rate I bug them, I'll be the first to get one, and the forum will be updated to reflect they are available just as soon as I know.

If they would have just given me a date like last time, I wouldn't have to go in there everyday next week just to ask the same question. :WTF:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was cruising my Ninja 300 at 85 to 90 mph regularly. I'd blast it up to 103 to 105 mph every chance I got. I hit 111 mph once. I'm pretty sure the Ninja 400 adds about 10 mph to those numbers which is why I bought one. The 300 is quick but not quite powerful enough to get out of the way when doing over 90 mph.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts