Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many years of riding adventure bikes, and most of my riding mates having sports bikes, I've decided it's time to go back to where I started...sportsbikes! I had a moment of clarity last year, when on an annual multi-day group ride, I was keeping up with far too many people on machines that my bike had no business being able to do, and knew I was at the limit of the bike's and Conti TKC80's limits. It made me realise how much I'd evolved as a rider, and how quickly I had outgrown my bike.

Fast-forward to the present, and I've just sold my BMW, and handover is this Sunday. It's a truly bittersweet moment because I love that bike, built it into a beast, I know it sooooo well, but need to make the change back to sportsbikes and evolve my abilities. I'd settled on a smaller CC sportsbike for the "fun factor" and improving my riding skills (especially making the switch over to a different discipline/style).

For months I've lusted after a new KTM RC390 to trick-up, improve, and use it for a mix of weekend and track use. Now that the moment has finally come for me to buy my new bike, I have reconsidered this plan somewhat...Japanese build quality, cheaper maintenance, parts availability, larger catalogue of aftermarket parts, easier to work on, cheaper insurance, more comfort, longer fuel-range, etc. I blame it on turning 40 in a few weeks and deciding to be sensible I guess!!

So first thing on Monday morning, I'll be going to the local dealership and buying my 3rd Kawasaki, a new Ninja 400! Can't bloody wait!!!! :D

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Welcome to the fold! Good choice, you wont regret it, def a fun bike. I too looked hard at the KTM and went with the Kawasaki for similar reasons, esp the small tank and less comfort than the Ninja. I've still never ridden one yet though - must make that happen...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like we pretty much had the same flow. I was also initially looking at an RC390, then was put off by the head gasket issues etc.
You won't regret it. The Ninja 400 is fun and a great road and track bike. I'm in Melbourne, and got one in December as a baby track bike.

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki Z400
18 Posts
G'day :) If you are in SEQ let me know! I'm still looking for some locals to ride with! All i've got to ride with at the moment is my partners brother who owns an RC390.

My bike experience is almost non existant, as my z400 is my first bike i've ever owned/ridden and its barely a month old :D So i cannot really offer any advice on the N400/Z400 vs others. But what i can say, is as much as i wish it was "faster" (as in, i wish it literally scared me too much to twist the throttle all the way, like a "bigger" bike would), its actually plenty of power to have a smile on your face on the road without getting absolutely punished for not having perfect throttle control. The way you can just throw it around and it just takes it and behaves still amazes me everyday!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome! Sounds like we pretty much had the same flow. I was also initially looking at an RC390, then was put off by the head gasket issues etc.
You won't regret it. The Ninja 400 is fun and a great road and track bike. I'm in Melbourne, and got one in December as a baby track bike.
I'm in Melbourne also...must catch up mate! :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm in Melbourne also...must catch up mate! :D
Nice! I'm in Pakenham, but do what most people do and head out to Healesville/Warburton for riding in the warmer months. Not sure how long I'll keep the N400 registered for, probably let it lapse once I'm done set up wise, but I have an S1KRR I only really use on the road at the moment.

Been going to Broadford a lot recently, track wise, just booking it a few days to a week out based on the forecast so I don't have to think about wet weather gear/tyres/me melting. Really fun on the little bikes, and you can camp the night before for $10 (although noone has ever asked me for money, so $0-$10).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Honestly, black, but will be ok with whatever is in stock (there's a shortage for everything here tbh)
Nice.
I dont know if you know but there is a good group on fb you should join called 'Ninja 400 Riders Australia'.

There are 1.5k members and a great place to buy, sell and swap parts locally.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The past couple of days have been cough great fun bike shopping, and it's made me remember exactly why I despise doing business with Peter Stevens. The sales-guy completely ignores the whole part of me not being able to answer my phone during the day (work duh!), proceeds to pester me multiple times with calls, then finally twigs (despite mentioning multiple times to email me for this very reason). Gah!

Moving on from that, as per my initial enquiry of "what's your availability and absolute best price, ready to buy on Monday", you'd think that should be a pretty straightforward thing right? Wrong! Instead I get emails of "call to discuss", eventual quote of the RRP, and finally get to learn deep into day 2 of this ridiculous "game" that's playing out, that they have green and teal in stock and would have to order black. If I put forward a fair offer, he can put it to his boss. Oh and the push for financing was insane...dude I'm buying outright ffs, save the spiel!

With that resolved, and winter weather already here in Melbourne, I put forward a perfectly reasonable offer (like $200 off the asking price fair) and simply heard nothing back. The lack of any professionalism throughout has been super-cringey, and even the email exchanges have been on a par with FB marketplace bad lol!

It's been too much of a ball-ache already, so think I'm going with Plan B to buy from a small regional dealer who already has a black one in stock and the price is right. Yes it'll be a 4-5hr round trip (compared to 2hrs), but I'll feel a whole lot better about the purchase and won't have to deal with being stuffed around, hahaha!

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
I had a similar choice to make when I purchased my bike. Either buy off a larger Kawi dealer in the city whom I hadn't got great vibes off the few times I'd been in the showroom (plus general consensus asking around) or buy off a guy in a small rural town whom I kinda knew a bit through racing who also had a Kawi dealership but only sold dirt bikes. I called in and asked him if he could get in road bikes too and he said yep no problem and the rest is history. He was really good to deal with when the bike arrived, didnt screw me over on the on-road costs and let me come over and install my own lithium battery straight up instead of activating the OEM one by adding the acid to it. Now I have a brand new lead acid battery siting on the shelf to put in the bike when I sell it. I was also the first person to start it with 0 kms on the odo. Small stuff like that.
So yeah I'd go with the small town guy if your getting dicked around by the the Peter Stevens guy. As long as your happy changing the oil and filter yourself then the bike doesn't have to go back to the dealer until 42,000km for the first valve clearance check so the 4-5 hr distance wont be a biggy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've given the guy from Peter Stevens enough time to accept my offer, and incredibly am still yet to hear anything back. Beyond pathetic!

I ended up contacting the small regional dealership this morning, put forward my offer and it was accepted immediately. $1000 deposit made on the spot, and I'm picking it up tomorrow afternoon. Just got to take the 2hr 15min train trip out to the sticks, they'll pick me up from the station (that's service!), and I ride home with a brand new 2021 built black Ninja 400...easy-as! Their service has been above and beyond amazing, and am so glad I opted to support small business rather than the giant corporation...good call me! :D

I've already ordered a set of TechSpec tank grips, as well as a rear fender eliminator from Mustard Bikes which will arrive in the next day or so, and am scouring the internet for good deals on other items that I'm after. Hehe!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've given the guy from Peter Stevens enough time to accept my offer, and incredibly am still yet to hear anything back. Beyond pathetic!
I don't know how true it is, but apparently dealers are struggling to get bikes due to COVID, and they go really quickly when they have them.
If it is true, I'd imagine the salesmen are just ignoring anyone even the slightest bit annoying to work with, and prioritising the quick sales / bigger sales.

Anyway, congrats! Hope you enjoy it.
Give me a yell if/when you head to a track, be fun to team up with another 400.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I don't know how true it is, but apparently dealers are struggling to get bikes due to COVID, and they go really quickly when they have them.
If it is true, I'd imagine the salesmen are just ignoring anyone even the slightest bit annoying to work with, and prioritising the quick sales / bigger sales.

Anyway, congrats! Hope you enjoy it.
Give me a yell if/when you head to a track, be fun to team up with another 400.

Hey mate! There was a period of nil-stock for 2 or 4 wheels (people accessing their Super last year made certain of that at the click of a finger), but that's changed recently and there is sufficient stock of most bikes available atm (depending upon what you're after of course). In the case of Ninja 400's, there's enough going around to make a deal, hehe! Cars are a very different situation (due to having a LOT of silicone chips which makes them somewhat scarce), and we totally fluked getting a new car in the exact colour and spec which had just come into stock (working there probs helped lol!).

I currently have their sales manager contacting me to discuss why they missed out on the sale...here's part of the exchange! :p

"
Hi XXXXXX, and thanks for following up. My afternoon has indeed been wonderful, thanks for asking!

If I'm going to be perfectly honest, this experience has been a complete and utter shambles. Firstly there was ignoring my request several times for email contact only due to me not being able to answer my phone during work hours (a pretty normal thing in this day and age due to company phone usage policies - your establishment would have the very same policies in effect). Secondly, an entirety of two days was wasted over a very simple "what's the availability and the absolute best purchase price, I'm ready to buy first thing Monday morning and pay in full". I have been ready to go and able to purchase outright, so it's a very simple and straightforward sale. Incredibly am still yet to hear anything back, not so much as a peep or follow-up today. The communication has been anything but stellar nor professional (I might as well have been on FaceBook Marketplace), nor to a standard I deem acceptable when purchasing something such as a vehicle. To say that I've been left underwhelmed by this experience is an understatement.

Put simply, I finally gave up out of annoyance and frustration, was true to my word that I was ready to buy on Monday, and have since purchased the bike from a rural independent dealership the other side of Victoria. They accepted my offer instantly, communication was on-point, and will be taking delivery at lunchtime tomorrow. No stuffing around, and I am even being picked up from the train station to get to the dealership. Proper service and was done exactly as asked without any hiccups!

I simply cannot fathom how such an easy sale was screwed up completely...definitely an "own goal"."

Sums it up in a nutshell really...

I'm soooooooooooooooooo excited for tomorrow, I mean, who doesn't love New Bike Day?! :D

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Good to hear you found a switched on dealer to purchase from mate. Also great that you are supporting local made with your tail tidy choice. I met Mark De Jong the owner of Mustard bikes when he was over here racing a 125 GP bike a couple of years ago. Really nice guy and he makes a quality product.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah the Mustard Bikes fender eliminator was a no-brainer...locally made, fits our registration plates perfectly, wiring is ready to go, build quality is amazing, oh and it's cheaper than imported stuff by a fair amount. I'll always support local small business at any opportunity, and have done so with all accessories that I've bought so far...it's now up to a list of Oxford hot-grips, TechSpec tank grips, Mustard Bikes rear fender eliminator, GB Racing engine and waterpump protection kit, and GB Racing rear spools/shark fin kit. All locally purchased from small business, not to mention the bike. It's a feel-good story totally!

There will be other things which I can't get here, or are simply a rip-off through monopoly, but am doing my best to buy locally mate. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh man....the cringe-factor has just got even worse! After that email above replying to the sales manager, I got an email from the sales guy offering me $8000 ride away to win my business back. I paid $7900 ride away for the exact bike I wanted, with next day delivery. Face-palm! After informing him of this, his first question was "which dealer did this for you?". Dude...I asked you for your best price, and even after an epic stuff-up on your part, you're more expensive, so just let it go. I'm not doing your f**king homework for you lol! :p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts