Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone this is my introduction, but I also have a question as I don't have my bike yet. I live in an RV park where the entryway and throughout the whole park is all dirt, the entryway is not flat and has little mini hills, with patches of rocks ( wouldn't call it gravel, it's the larger rocks you find in landscaping or farm driveways ), there are a few sections that are actually thicker with the rocks and rather loose, which I could rake out and flatten / thin it out ( ive done this in the section near my RV but I could do this throughout the whole park if I need ). so, how will the stock tires so in these conditions? ive seen people riding through here with harleys, my neighbor has a sport touring or dual sport, obviously offroad worthy but I don't want offroad tires on the N400 when I get it. I imagine I should be able to manage?

what about when I leave the park and get onto the asphalt, should I pull over and use a large brush to brush the tires off each time I ride, when I get onto hard ground?

Sure i'm an overthinker but that's just how I am. I appreciate any feedback, thanks!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Welcome.

Just ride carefully and avoid anything that might cause a drop like a larger rock. I've never had an issue pulling out of a dirt or gravel section and just riding on pavement, but it's only been for short little parking lots and not long stretches.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome.

Just ride carefully and avoid anything that might cause a drop like a larger rock. I've never had an issue pulling out of a dirt or gravel section and just riding on pavement, but it's only been for short little parking lots and not long stretches.
hey thanks man, the total distance from entryway to my space is very short, not even a quarter mile, maybe half a quarter mile maybe even less i'm not sure lol. but it's definitely short, I guess i'm just worried about the tires putting up with it on a daily basis, even though it is short and low speed.

there's some harleys that come through here and one that is permanent living here, im gonna check out what kind of tires they use, as they seem to have zero issues.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Welcome. This is a good place to get answers to your questions. Actually riding in sand/gravel/rocky stuff is more about the rider than the tires. And you can always stand up on the footpegs in the really knarly parts. Why stand on the pegs? Doing that puts your body weight on your feet and lower on the bike instead of on your butt and high up on the bike. Weight down low equals better control at low speeds and it lets the bike move around a bit under you without losing control. Observed Trials riders do this on purpose.

Unless those rocks are super sharp your tires shouldn't suffer much, if any, damage. And when you come off the dirt/rocky road onto the pavement any dirt on the tires will scrub off just by riding. Enjoy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome. This is a good place to get answers to your questions. Actually riding in sand/gravel/rocky stuff is more about the rider than the tires. And you can always stand up on the footpegs in the really knarly parts. Why stand on the pegs? Doing that puts your body weight on your feet and lower on the bike instead of on your butt and high up on the bike. Weight down low equals better control at low speeds and it lets the bike move around a but under you without losing control. Observed Trials riders do this on purpose.

Unless those rocks are super sharp your tires shouldn't suffer much, if any, damage. And when you come off the dirt/rocky road onto the pavement any dirt on the tires will scrub off just by riding. Enjoy!
confidence booster, thanks brother. that's what I was wondering the dirt would just scrub off, and it's about half a mile at 35mph of pavement after I leave my RV park until I hit the main road which is a hwy at 60 speed limit. so I get a little time for that scrubbing to take effect before going up to higher speeds.

thanks a ton!

·
Registered
2021 N400 Teal (non-abs)
24 Posts
I tried taking my 400 (stock tires) in a thick layer of medium sized rocks. Lol. My bike sunk in and i was barely able to turn it around and get out. Definitely made me uncomfortable but not sure how similar your conditions are. I can go back and take a photo if you'd like to see what I mean.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried taking my 400 (stock tires) in a thick layer of medium sized rocks. Lol. My bike sunk in and i was barely able to turn it around and get out. Definitely made me uncomfortable but not sure how similar your conditions are. I can go back and take a photo if you'd like to see what I mean.
hey bud yeah that would be great, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2021 N400 Teal (non-abs)
24 Posts
hey bud yeah that would be great, I appreciate it.
This is what I was dealing with:ROFLMAO:I tried to go in fast and was quickly slowed down. Maybe if i kept on the gas I could've gone straight thru, but I didn't feel safe so i slowed, and turned around to get out. Good luck brother

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts