Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new here and just bought a new Ninja 400. My first bike was a Kawasaki 454 that I just sold and I decided to switch to a Sports bike. I need some opinions on what you all would do in my shoes with more experience or even just outside opinions in general.

I got financed for my bike and I elected to buy a $1200/5yr Extended Service Contract on my bike. I can cancel within 30 days for a full refund of the warranty off of my loan I think without any penalties or anything within that time period.. I thinkkk. The salesmen kinda rushed me through there real fast because it was the end of the day and they were waiting for me to leave. If I left without buying the warranty, I’m S.O.L. but I could always buy the warranty and cancel later was the impression I got.

My thoughts here are that the warranty could be good and all, but $1200 is a lotttt for something I highly doubt I’ll use and prevents me from doing anything fun with the bike like mods and the such without completely voiding the warranty I just paid a ton for.

Plus, I plan to do all my own oil changes and maintenance myself and that probably voids the warranty too knowing my luck..

So here’s my question(s):

Should I keep the warranty?

What are the chances I might/might not use it in the 6 years total under warranty (1 year standard factory warranty with 5 year extended adding up to 6 total years)? —Mainly asking average problems people are having versus average costs of those repairs and such not—

What would you do in my shoes?

·
Registered
205 Posts
:cool: First thing CANCEL the extended bogus crap, the one yr is fine for most bikes,2ed you should have went through a credit union or your bank for a better deal if you had to go with payments, when you go through the dealer they get paid for getting you to go through them, congrats on the new bike and I am sure you are going to enjoy it, when you cancel the extended stuff tell them you should get a helmet or jacket for doing busness with them, and I hope you got $ off, Never pay retail, at least get shirts and coffee mugs and gloves,

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
:cool: First thing CANCEL the extended bogus crap, the one yr is fine for most bikes,2ed you should have went through a credit union or your bank for a better deal if you had to go with payments, when you go through the dealer they get paid for getting you to go through them, congrats on the new bike and I am sure you are going to enjoy it, when you cancel the extended stuff tell them you should get a helmet or jacket for doing busness with them, and I hope you got $ off, Never pay retail, at least get shirts and coffee mugs and gloves,
And a coupla shot glasses 🐉

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki EX400HJF Ninja, 2020 Kawasaki Z400
5 Posts
Hey everyone, new here and just bought a new Ninja 400. My first bike was a Kawasaki 454 that I just sold and I decided to switch to a Sports bike. I need some opinions on what you all would do in my shoes with more experience or even just outside opinions in general.

I got financed for my bike and I elected to buy a $1200/5yr Extended Service Contract on my bike. I can cancel within 30 days for a full refund of the warranty off of my loan I think without any penalties or anything within that time period.. I thinkkk. The salesmen kinda rushed me through there real fast because it was the end of the day and they were waiting for me to leave. If I left without buying the warranty, I’m S.O.L. but I could always buy the warranty and cancel later was the impression I got.

My thoughts here are that the warranty could be good and all, but $1200 is a lotttt for something I highly doubt I’ll use and prevents me from doing anything fun with the bike like mods and the such without completely voiding the warranty I just paid a ton for.

Plus, I plan to do all my own oil changes and maintenance myself and that probably voids the warranty too knowing my luck..

So here’s my question(s):

Should I keep the warranty?

What are the chances I might/might not use it in the 6 years total under warranty (1 year standard factory warranty with 5 year extended adding up to 6 total years)? —Mainly asking average problems people are having versus average costs of those repairs and such not—

What would you do in my shoes?
First of all, are you really planning to keep your bike for five years? I would put a good number of miles on it while it's under the 12 month warranty because most serious (read catastrophic) problems will occur during the first few hundred or couple of thousand miles. Extended warranties will enhance the value of your machine when you sell your bike. Personally, I would carefully break it in and do all the recommended maintenance procedures, and cancel the extended warranty. If you feel uncomfortable with only the 12-month warranty, I believe Kawasaki offers 2 or 3 year extended warranties also .I think that the 2-year extended warranty may be a reasonable alternative, but the dealership where you got it may not have presented those options to you. Congratulations on your purchase!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
5 years for $1200? What was included for this? Not just an extended warranty, I hope.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts