Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am newer to the chain and sprocket stuff and i know the Oem size is 14/41 with a stock gear ration of 2.93. I have done a full exhaust, air filter and tune to my bike. I was thinking of upping my hearing to a 15/45 with a gear ratio of 3.00. Does anyone have any recommendations about sprocket sizes that would be best for me. I don’t want to lose too much top end. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
Take a look at gearingcommander.com and there is a fantastic thread on here under "Gearing". I just went the other way to get a bit more acceleration but I definitely lost top end, not sure how much though until mid week. I went with a 13/42.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take a look at gearingcommander.com and there is a fantastic thread on here under "Gearing". I just went the other way to get a bit more acceleration but I definitely lost top end, not sure how much though until mid week. I went with a 13/42.
your change is more drastic than mine would be yours is. 3.23 ratio.

·
Registered
705 Posts
A 15 front 45 rear will not fit the stock chain. I couldn’t get a +2 rear (43) to fit the stock chain. My front sprocket is stock, I went with a +1 rear (42).
I am dying to hear how AtomicMonkey likes his -1 +2. I bet it makes the 400 a beast!

I have a -1 +2 set up on my gixxer 600 and I love it! It gives the 600 lots of grunt out the corners and power wheelies in 1st very easy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A 15 front 45 rear will not fit the stock chain. I couldn’t get a +2 rear (43) to fit the stock chain. My front sprocket is stock, I went with a +1 rear (42).
I am dying to hear how AtomicMonkey likes his -1 +2. I bet it makes the 400 a beast!

I have a -1 +2 set up on my gixxer 600 and I love it! It gives the 600 lots of grunt out the corners and power wheelies in 1st very easy.
How do i order a seperate 15 tooth front sprocket, most sites sell chain and sprocket 14/41 for ninja all in one package. will it affect anything on speedo or show a fault on dashboard.

·
Registered
705 Posts
How do i order a seperate 15 tooth front sprocket, most sites sell chain and sprocket 14/41 for ninja all in one package. will it affect anything on speedo or show a fault on dashboard.
EBAY, STG etc, sells the sprockets separately. I didn’t experience any check engine light or issues with the gear indicator with the +1 rear. So you should be fine with a larger +1 front sprocket. The speedo is not affected because the speed sensor is at the wheel not the transmission like the Gixxers. I did/do have a speedo healer on all my gixxers. I changed the gearing on all of them. The speedo healer I have on them records the top speed which you can erase with a press of a button. I am hoping they come out with something like that for the 400!
Curious why do you want a larger front sprocket?

·
Registered
33 Posts
EBAY, STG etc, sells the sprockets separately. I didn’t experience any check engine light or issues with the gear indicator with the +1 rear. So you should be fine with a larger +1 front sprocket. The speedo is not affected because the speed sensor is at the wheel not the transmission like the Gixxers. I did/do have a speedo healer on all my gixxers. I changed the gearing on all of them. The speedo healer I have on them records the top speed which you can erase with a press of a button. I am hoping they come out with something like that for the 400!
Curious why do you want a larger front sprocket?
Hi, I am wanting to make first gear not so low geared, Because most of the time i start in secound gear, unless i start off on a hill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is incorrect. I put a +1 on the front of my wife's Ninja 400. she loved it. But the check engine light stayed on and no gear selector. It just flashed. they say the computer will only accept a 7% change and apparently thats more than is allowed. So I had to change it back. aracer mini 5 ecu will fix this. But's that $500.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
That is incorrect. I put a +1 on the front of my wife's Ninja 400. she loved it. But the check engine light stayed on and no gear selector. It just flashed. they say the computer will only accept a 7% change and apparently thats more than is allowed. So I had to change it back. aracer mini 5 ecu will fix this. But's that $500.
There's a much simpler and cheaper solution...Save your $500 and give this thread a read.
(y):cool:

Gearing thread

·
Registered
3 Posts
SWEET! thanks for the info. Whom ever figures this out is awesome. Changed the front sprocket to a +1 and it works great. Gear position works and no check engine light. So I ordered her -2 for the rear. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts