Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Today i wash my motorcycle and adjust my chain, and when i drive back, the speedo not working, he stay on 0 km/h, and the abs light is on.
I see many post about problem like that but i dont find my solution.
I check the rear and front abs sensor emplacement and is ok, i clean them.
I check fuses and they are good.
But its not solve my problem.
Someone can help me???
Someone know how to check the abs sensor with multimeter, where is the abs box?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Maybe water got into the ABS wheel monitors or into the actual electronics? Where you power washing it or just a gentle hose washing?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Also check the electric leads from the battery. I had a similar problem that was caused by a loose battery lead. I had apparently cross-threaded the terminal screw and thought it was screwed on tight, but the rings were loose and able to loose contact. Fixing the screw and clearing the error codes fixed the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also check the electric leads from the battery. I had a similar problem that was caused by a loose battery lead. I had apparently cross-threaded the terminal screw and thought it was screwed on tight, but the rings were loose and able to loose contact. Fixing the screw and clearing the error codes fixed the issue.
I think it what happened to me, when i begin to drive the screen switch on off in ride, i check the battery and see that one of the wire was no fixing good, i fix it and after i continue to drive the speedo and abs no work,
you think i can delete the error code with a 15 minute drive 2 or 3 time?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have the cabe to connect to the kawasaki obd port but my obd module is from my car and i think is not compatible with kawasaki (defferent protocol), maybe you know wich obd code reader is compatible with kawa? thanks

·
Registered
860 Posts
I think it what happened to me, when i begin to drive the screen switch on off in ride, i check the battery and see that one of the wire was no fixing good, i fix it and after i continue to drive the speedo and abs no work,
Yes, you can. In short, 3 times at least 10 minutes riding on the highway. But you need to shut down and let the bike idle for at least 30 seconds before each ride. I have done it myself, it works.

Full procedure here:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
i have the cabe to connect to the kawasaki obd port but my obd module is from my car and i think is not compatible with kawasaki (defferent protocol), maybe you know wich obd code reader is compatible with kawa? thanks
Sorry, I don't know. But there's a bunch of people here who will be able to answer your question.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yes, just do as @Teorist said above. If it doesn't reoccur, then it's a cheap fix. If it does happen again, you've at least ruled this out.

I like that you started by checking your fuses. A friend once had electrical issues on his bike. He took a day off of work and trailered it 200 miles (one way) to the nearest dealership only to find out it was a blown fuse. We teased him without mercy.

·
Registered
619 Posts
. . .

I like that you started by checking your fuses. A friend once had electrical issues on his bike. He took a day off of work and trailered it 200 miles (one way) to the nearest dealership only to find out it was a blown fuse. We teased him without mercy.
Yes, but what CAUSED the fuse to blow? Replacing the fuse, alone, is NOT a solution. You always need to figure out what caused that fuse to blow, because if it happened once, it is likely to happen again.

Jim G

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yes, but what CAUSED the fuse to blow? Replacing the fuse, alone, is NOT a solution. You always need to figure out what caused that fuse to blow, because if it happened once, it is likely to happen again.

Jim G
Yep, that's the question. We never found out. And it didn't happen again. The experience was chalked up to it being a Triumph, a bike with "character." ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Teorist

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Z400
11 Posts
I used an ordinary OBDII code scanner for a car with an adaptor cable for my 2020 Z400 (tiny red 6-pin "Euro 5" style diagnostic plug) and it worked. I used this adapter Motorcycle 6 Pin Euro 5 to OBD2 | eBay

I was clearing a bike-down sensor code (I turned the key on with the bike-down sensor unplugged) so I can't guarantee it will work for ALL codes, but it certainly read and cleared that particular one, and it also works for real-time sensor logging (IAT, MAP, TPS, coolant temp)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts