Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a big fan of the YouTube FortNine, (motorcycle) videos. The quality is quite good in terms of production value, presentation and information.

I recently gave a try to one of the motorcycle hacks concerning helmet visor fogging. As it is getting colder my visor has been fogging up. I've tried a few solutions and they do work but this one I found to be the best for me. In the past I've used shaving cream which I rubbed on the visors and buffed off after five minutes. What I did this time was use the FortNine suggestion of anti-dandruff shampoo (Head & Shoulders) instead.

The result was better than the shaving cream option. I got very little if not no fogging with the shampoo method. Rode yesterday in the low 40s F temperatures and had no issues with fogging. The only things you may want to consider in using this hack is to make sure you buff the visor completely and you will have a scent of shampoo in your helmet. Which made me realize I should of gotten the Old Spice scented Head & Shoulders container. (I like the scent!):wink:

·
Registered
263 Posts
David, Thanks for sharing.

I could have used this info before my ride yesterday. It was in the mid 40's and I was having a bit of fogging issues.

How long do you think the treatment will last? Does it need to be done before each ride, or will it last more than one ride? I don't have enough hair left to worry about dandruff, but may buy a travel size to keep around.

I was near my temperature limit around 45 without heated gloves or grips, I need to add both to go much cooler.

Rick

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rick, the video suggested both sides. As for how long it will last I don't know but it doesn't need to be applied after every ride. As for not having enough hair keep in mind you could use the shampoo on your bathroom mirrors to prevent fog ups.

I'm headed out the door for a ride right now. The weather is now cloudy, in the mid to high 30s F with no wind gusts. This is the lowest temps I've ever ridden in. Should be a good test on how my heated grips, insulated waxed cotton gear and visor hack hold up.

By the way, the heated grips, (Oxford) and waxed cotton gear, (Merlin) I got through Revzilla.

Will follow up soon.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got back from my ride in 39 degree F weather. For the first few minutes the visor fogged up just a little. I think it was from the sudden temperature change. The solution is to ride with the visor up for a few minutes then bring it down. I then got no fogging at all.

Well I'm off to my bathroom mirrors now!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hey @DPW650 do you have a link for the FortNine video you are talking about? I could not find one that mentions head & shoulders. My wife did pick me up a small bottle.

Here is a FortNine video I like about riding in the rain, and bad conditions in general.

It doesn't mention head and shoulders, but shows many cool nasty weather ideas. I'm going to hunt down a few that he mentions.

I've ridden my Ninja 1000 down to 10° f for several hours in full electric splendor (about 170 watts). I'm interested to see how low I can ride the Ninja 400. I'm planning on Oxford Grips (I love them on the 1000), 7 volt Heated Gloves and I'll use my Alpine Star water proof stuff. With a good mid layer I should get down to 20° if the Gloves and Grips can keep up.

I need to find a good mid layer that is water proof with a little thermal. Anybody have any favorites?

I'm looking forward to riding both my bikes this winter, but the Ninja1000 still holds the edge with plenty of power for the electric gear.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe Ryan has up to three hack videos.

On his YouTube channel put in the word "Hacks".

The face shield hack is in (Top 5 Motorcycle Life Hacks Part 1) and it starts at 1:40.

Sounds like it must be challenging and exciting to ride your Ninja 1000 in the 10 to 20 degree F range. I'd love to try it but the roads are heavily salted in MA during winter.

I'm putting the bike away for winter storage in early December. But now with the heated grips and cold weather riding gear I can easily handle temps as low as 40 degrees F. Which means I can get more rides in December and consider taking the bike out of storage sometime in March. Furthermore, riding in brisk weather just adds another fun factor to my motorcycle hobby.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a follow up to this hack. When out this weekend in 40 degree F weather and absolutely no fogging. This is one hack that really works. :smile:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Just a follow up to this hack. When out this weekend in 40 degree F weather and absolutely no fogging. This is one hack that really works. :smile:
Amazinggg thanks for this! I'm tempted to try it as I experienced some fogging from my last ride. However, I have the transition lens...and IDK if shampoo is abrasive enough to mess up that Transition film. I may have to read upon it as the transition film properties will fade with time.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Amazinggg thanks for this! I'm tempted to try it as I experienced some fogging from my last ride. However, I have the transition lens...and IDK if shampoo is abrasive enough to mess up that Transition film. I may have to read upon it as the transition film properties will fade with time.

I'd be wary of trying on a transition lens. Just to be safe try it out on a clear visor first.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm a big fan of the YouTube FortNine, (motorcycle) videos. The quality is quite good in terms of production value, presentation and information.

I recently gave a try to one of the motorcycle hacks concerning helmet visor fogging. As it is getting colder my visor has been fogging up. I've tried a few solutions and they do work but this one I found to be the best for me. In the past I've used shaving cream which I rubbed on the visors and buffed off after five minutes. What I did this time was use the FortNine suggestion of anti-dandruff shampoo (Head & Shoulders!)
Love Fort one! He has some of the best videos and I feel really gives his honest non-sugarcoated opinion of a bike, but he doesn’t get to do as many reviews because of this

·
Registered
553 Posts
Rick, the video suggested both sides. As for how long it will last I don't know but it doesn't need to be applied after every ride. As for not having enough hair keep in mind you could use the shampoo on your bathroom mirrors to prevent fog ups.

I'm headed out the door for a ride right now. The weather is now cloudy, in the mid to high 30s F with no wind gusts. This is the lowest temps I've ever ridden in. Should be a good test on how my heated grips, insulated waxed cotton gear and visor hack hold up.

By the way, the heated grips, (Oxford) and waxed cotton gear, (Merlin) I got through Revzilla.

Will follow up soon.

Old thread but another use for Head & Shoulders (or similar shampoos) is to wash sandal inner soles so they do not stink.

And fighting aliens

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'd think something like wd40 with an oil base would cling to the lens better and last a lot longer. I think the smell is nice too lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts