Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking to get a new helmet and wondering what you guys recommend. I have an agv k1 that I bought as my first helmet as it fit into my budget at the time. I really like the agv pista gp but can’t really justify spending $1k at the moment as I’m still in college lol. I heard the shoei rf1400 is great but I’m not really a fan of the looks. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I like HJC. The RHPA series are their top tier models and offer a lot of quality and features for, what I consider, a more reasonably priced product than some other brands. That, and they offer some awesome 'licensed graphics'.
Most important is to buy a helmet that fits and is comfortable. If it's not comfortable, it'll soon end up on the shelf collecting dust.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Most helmets are pretty good these days. Pick the you that fits you best, and is most comfortable. Personally my Shark Spartan is the most comfortable helmet that I've worn. Try out as many different brands as you can.

·
Registered
20 Ninja 400 prior - 84 GS550 88 Ninja 600 91 ZX-7R 98 GSXR750 04 XB9R
189 Posts
I recommend buying what you think looks like a great helmet, has proper certs (DOT/ECE/Snell/MIPS etc.) and then wear it without removing any decals or tags. This way you can return it after gettting a few hours of wear time before deciding.

I'm sitting here working with a Sedici Systemi Carbon on to make sure it is comfortable over long periods. I did the same with a Scorpion and it gave me a splitting headache.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I tried on a Sedici Strada ll. Didn't like. I've a problem with wind noise. Rode with plugs yesterday 175mi. And by the time I got home it was very annoying
ZZ

·
Registered
189 Posts
I tried on a Sedici Strada ll. Didn't like. I've a problem with wind noise. Rode with plugs yesterday 175mi. And by the time I got home it was very annoying
ZZ
returning the Sedici Systemi because it’s just not comfortable. My really old Arai feels so much better, so I ordered a plain white Arai Regent-X. I’m really hoping it is as comfy as my old Astral-X. If not, I don‘t know where to turn next.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree that a good fit is the most important aspect of a helmet.
After that, all helmets that pass any of the major standards (Snell, D.O.T., CE) will provide a similar level of protection in a maximum impact crash.
An important difference that some helmet manufacturers are starting to address is how well a helmet works when dealing with an impact that is NOT at or near the maximum protective range which is, I believe, about 400g (beyond that, every helmet will have compressed to it's maximum and will transmit any forces directly to the skull).
At lesser impact levels, the brain can still be damaged, and a lot of helmets are "too stiff" to reduce the forces acting on the head, so it's good to have some "give" before the EPS starts being compressed.
They also usually don't have specific internal mechanisms to reduce "angular acceleration", that is, twisting forces that cause the skull to rotate. If the helmet (and your head) does not hit an object exactly dead center, the helmet will rotate, taking the skull with it. That's most of the time in a real world crash.
When the skull rotates, the brain can only keep up up to a certain rotational speed, beyond which things tear a (blood vessels, nerves) which is a Bad Thing.
From what I have been able to find, angular acceleration accounts for 70-80 percent of the damage that occurs in crashes.
There are a couple of companies that have come up with technologies to address the problem like Bell's "slip" technology and I know that there are others.
The one company that stands out to me is 6-D, which uses a double layer of EPS seperated by small elastomer (think mountain bike suspension) pieces that allow the the helmet and the outer EPS layer to rotate separately from your head and the inner EPS layer.
The system also allows for more "give" in a straight-on impact and acts conventionally in a straight-on maximum force impact, with the EPS crushing to absorb force.
My 2 cents is that the system is the biggest advance since EPS foam.
They've been making dirt bike helmets for quite a while and started making street and racing helmets 4-5 years ago.

·
Registered
189 Posts
There are a couple of companies that have come up with technologies to address the problem like Bell's "slip" technology and I know that there are others.
The one company that stands out to me is 6-D, which uses a double layer of EPS seperated by small elastomer (think mountain bike suspension) pieces that allow the the helmet and the outer EPS layer to rotate separately from your head and the inner EPS layer.
The system also allows for more "give" in a straight-on impact and acts conventionally in a straight-on maximum force impact, with the EPS crushing to absorb force.
My 2 cents is that the system is the biggest advance since EPS foam.
They've been making dirt bike helmets for quite a while and started making street and racing helmets 4-5 years ago.
MIPS is the underlying technology that you are referring to and it certainly sounds like a great advancement. While it is widely available in bicycle helmets, very few motorcycle helmets support MIPS. Bell and Icon both have models with MIPS technology but I haven't been able to purchase either of them in an XL. Hopefully MIPS becomes more common place but for the time being, I've got to get a new helmet that is comfortable with the best certification I can find, that is actually available.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Revzilla carries 6-D. ATS-1 is the street model.
I’ve been using one for about 4 years, but haven’t crashed in it.
Ordered! I'll do a side by side comparison with the Arai and see which one fits better. I'd love to have the MIPS tech but fit is most important.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just waiting….checking tracking update…hourly.
Monday can’t get here soon enough

Helmet Sports equipment Bicycle helmet Cap Sports gear

·
Registered
189 Posts
Man, I really wanted to love the 6-D but nothing compares to the comfort of an Arai on my head. The Regent X has a slightly widened neck opening that makes is slide on and off so much easier and the comfort of the lining is second to none. Would’ve loved to try a Shoei 1400 but supply chain makes it impossible to find.

Arai Regent-X XL for the win. Now to find some great graphics for it.
Peripheral Input device Sports equipment Mouse Automotive design

1 - 19 of 19 Posts