Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a Shoei GT Air II and while it's quieter than my other lids, I get a ton of noise coming from the bottom of the helmet, likely because the neck roll doesn't create a tight enough seal. The helmet fits great otherwise. I know that this is the problem area because if I shrug my shoulders as I'm riding, essentially bringing the bottom of the helmet towards my collar bone, the noise goes away instantly. I ride with earplugs and it's still loud at high speeds.

I'm looking at a few possible "helmet skirt" solutions and I'm wondering if anyone has tried these? 3 different products on Amazon. Not sure which one will do the trick. I just need to block the wind from entering the bottom of the helmet. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
While neck gators can be effective at reducing wind noise, in warmer climates they are unreasonably hot. A better option is to try different wind screens that direct the air flow away from the area around the bottom of the helmet. Either higher or lower can help tremendously.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@pharoah89, did you end up trying one of the solutions you linked to ?
Hey, yea I tried the third option. I just used a neckwarmer I already had, and stretched it to fit it around the base of the helmet. It works really well! It isn't ideal in hot weather, but the noise reduction is worth it for me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey, yea I tried the third option. I just used a neckwarmer I already had, and stretched it to fit it around the base of the helmet. It works really well! It isn't ideal in hot weather, but the noise reduction is worth it for me.
Cool ! I am looking for a quieter helmet and a salesman pointed me to the GT Air II you have, but it sounds like it may not be as quiet as I want.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool ! I am looking for a quieter helmet and a salesman pointed me to the GT Air II you have, but it sounds like it may not be as quiet as I want.
From my limited experience and research it seems that helmet noise has more to do with fit than anything (especially when it comes to the neck roll). A Shoei helmet that is built of high quality materials and is designed to block out road noise is not going to work if it doesn't fit as intended and there are a lot of air gaps between you and the helmet. So if you want something quiet, find something that creates a tight seal around your neck and fits snug on your head, and is also built of high-quality materials.

In my case, the helmet fit well except for the air coming through the neck roll, so the neck warmer idea was a good solution. But in retrospect, it would have been better to buy something cheaper that fit better lol.

I think there are Scorpion helmets that have inflatable neck rolls and cheek pads so that it creates a tight seal... Might be worth looking in to!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey everyone, I have a Shoei GT Air II and while it's quieter than my other lids, I get a ton of noise coming from the bottom of the helmet, likely because the neck roll doesn't create a tight enough seal. The helmet fits great otherwise. I know that this is the problem area because if I shrug my shoulders as I'm riding, essentially bringing the bottom of the helmet towards my collar bone, the noise goes away instantly. I ride with earplugs and it's still loud at high speeds.

I'm looking at a few possible "helmet skirt" solutions and I'm wondering if anyone has tried these? 3 different products on Amazon. Not sure which one will do the trick. I just need to block the wind from entering the bottom of the helmet. What are your thoughts?

View attachment 17755 View attachment 17756 View attachment 17757
I feel that most of the wind noise comes from irregularities around the face shield. I duct-taped the edges of the face shield and the openings for air and the noise dropped considerably!
-Steve

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki Ninja 400 ABS / 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300
34 Posts
Yep...I have a GT Air II...its extremely noisier than my RF1400 and Shark helmet...

I normally will use earplugs if I plan on jumping on the highway...

I also have one of those motoloot covers...the big furry animal ones...it helps with noise too lol😄

1 - 11 of 11 Posts