Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Looking to upgrade from my entry-level helmet - bought online during Covid times

Tried on 2 that I’ve had my eyes on.

Scorpion Exo-R1 air: VERY snug - maybe even tight - all around the crown of the head. Even fit. No hot spots when worn for about 15 mins. But **** it was snug. How much break-in will occur in the foam?

Shoei RF-1400 - I feel like this is my Goldilocks helmet - just right. Snug. Well-fitted through the cheeks and jaw. But will it become too loose after break-in? Same thing as the first lid - I wore it for about 15 minutes and no discomfort but it remained snug.

I tried the medium and large in both - in each case I could tell that the large would leave me in the same position I’m in now - pretty good fit now, but will clearly loosen up too much.

Basically my question is - how much break-in can I expect from the Shoei and the Scorpion? Especially with a higher end lid like the Shoei - does the foam they use retain it’s integrity better? Anyone with experience with these helmet care to weigh in please? Sorry for being so long-winded. Any input is appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have owned a few Shoei helmets and just bought a Shoei RF1200 Medium. I couldn't resist the deal (motorcyclegear.com) although now an "outdated" helmet. I had to buy smaller cheek pads (31mm)...ebay had them. There is a little break in but don't expect a lot of "forming". If it is a little snug first try that is fine. If you feel pressure points that will be bothersome...probably too small. Definitely don't want it too big.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey everyone. Looking to upgrade from my entry-level helmet - bought online during Covid times

Tried on 2 that I’ve had my eyes on.

Scorpion Exo-R1 air: VERY snug - maybe even tight - all around the crown of the head. Even fit. No hot spots when worn for about 15 mins. But **** it was snug. How much break-in will occur in the foam?

Shoei RF-1400 - I feel like this is my Goldilocks helmet - just right. Snug. Well-fitted through the cheeks and jaw. But will it become too loose after break-in? Same thing as the first lid - I wore it for about 15 minutes and no discomfort but it remained snug.

I tried the medium and large in both - in each case I could tell that the large would leave me in the same position I’m in now - pretty good fit now, but will clearly loosen up too much.

Basically my question is - how much break-in can I expect from the Shoei and the Scorpion? Especially with a higher end lid like the Shoei - does the foam they use retain it’s integrity better? Anyone with experience with these helmet care to weigh in please? Sorry for being so long-winded. Any input is appreciated. Thank you
FWIW my Scorpion R420 is tight but... tight in a good way? It's not painful but it definitely doesn't move which I think is the goal to be honest. It'll leave a red mark on the forehead though on most any ride still after 3 months or so and 800 miles of riding. Since it's my first ever I'm not 100% certain if this is correct or how it should be but it seems like this is how a helmet should fit.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've got a few helmets in my spare room. The best fitting one is my Shoei NXR (RF1200) in size S. The best thing is that the shell size isn't too big. The fit is still firm after quite a few hours riding, so I don't think you'll have to worry about the lining loosening up too much. Besides if it does you can buy a kit to replace all the internal lining.

·
Registered
111 Posts
in my experience helmet fit is incredibly personal. Break in happens with the padding, but not the shape of the helmet. I'd be very wary of buying the one that gave hot spots around the crown of your head. I did some helmet shopping this summer and the helmet I wanted to like the most felt weird in the crown so I passed. I've personally had very good luck with Shoei and HJC helmets (both of which I've owned). Arai didn't fit me well even though it's a top of the line helmet. I'm currently racing in an HJC RPHA 11 (similar price point to the scorpion you're looking at) but believe I'll go back to Shoei for my next lid. Good luck in the hunt, and take your time to make sure you get a good fit. Hope that helps a little.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 400, 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk
1,023 Posts
Don’t try on an Arai if you’re on a budget because you may love the fit and they don’t come cheap.
Ive got an Arai helmet and the fit is perfect and comfy as can be.
Taking it in and off is work like a good fitting helmet should be but my Icon gets my ears hurting if taken on and off repeatedly and only use it as a spare for now.

Oh and the Arai at speed won't whip your head back if you happen to look over your shoulder.
Great helmet, not cheap, but I gotta take care of my ugly mug as best as I can. 😁🤙

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I am …67. I wear them for 5-6 years and then get a new one. They hold up as well as anything else in the past. I also have worn Bell, Shoei, Scorpion, and HJC. All will do the job but the Arai fits my wonky head best.
It's great when ya find something that really works for you.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
My personal issue always seems to be the ears. It's not like I'm a Vulcan or some such, but if a helmet has any pressure on my ears after 10 minutes, I know it'll become a pain after a few hours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts