Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Vendor
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400
427 Posts
That specifically says they tech your helmet, so yes, it would need to be a current helmet. All you would need to do is look at the product image and make sure the Snell date is 2020, or the ECU rating is the most recent.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
….. and I think most clubs look at the born on date. I know CMRA does. If it older than 5 years you can’t ride. You gotta watch buying discounted helmets on-line. They may only have a couple years of life left before you have to buy another.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Best price I have seen in U.S. is $324.99. I called the vendor's tech line to inquire about year of manufacture. Waiting to hear back. WERA rules don't allow helmets older than 5 years, and I think these first came out in 2017. So better do my due diligence.

Vendor called back. The units they have were manufactured this year per date code in the helmet.
Update - Ordered an HJC RPHA 11 Pro from Riders Superstore. With their "first time buyer" discount code and free shipping, total was $308.74 (Solid color is cheaper than the ones with racy graphics).

Beyond making this one time purchase, I have no association with the vendor. Will post up whether it arrives as expected and rate my experience with the vendor.

Thanks to all for advice, opinions and some laughs as well!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Update - Ordered an HJC RPHA 11 Pro from Riders Superstore. With their "first time buyer" discount code and free shipping, total was $308.74 (Solid color is cheaper than the ones with racy graphics).

Beyond making this one time purchase, I have no association with the vendor. Will post up whether it arrives as expected and rate my experience with the vendor.

Thanks to all for advice, opinions and some laughs as well!
that's a great price for that helmet!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I might be on my own here but I like the LS2 line of full face helmets. They have race ready helmets that are designed for full tuck vision and are DOT and ECE rated. Some are even FIM rated so there is that.

·
Director of Moderation
3,594 Posts
I might be on my own here but I like the LS2 line of full face helmets. They have race ready helmets that are designed for full tuck vision and are DOT and ECE rated. Some are even FIM rated so there is that.
There are quite a few pro world class racers that use those helmets. I've never tried one on, I'm happy with my Shoei X-14 though. So much that I got a 2nd one.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I already said I won’t wear a plastic helmet. I’m sure LS2 has many satisfied customers but even when they call it a “carbon” shell, if it’s got a visible seam running down the center I won’t wear it. I’ve personally seen one of these helmets split down the middle in a crash. Not just crack, but split to where you could see the foam core. The rider walked away unhurt thank goodness. But nope. Not for me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Ordered November 14th and it arrived on November 15th; on my doorstep when I came home. At this point, I can say that my experience for this purchase with Riders Superstore has been a good one.

As a side note, the HJC RPHA Pro 11 looks pretty much identical (except the logo on front) to my old RPHA (the one with the "R" on front)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been taken out by an idiot at the track. Was wearing a Arai Quantum-II. Was knocked out and slid and tumbled at least 100 feet. Looked like someone took a belt sander to it with coarse grit. Aside from being knocked out I was uninjured; at least my head was uninjured. My hip took a good whack so I got Forcefield body armour under shorts which I always wear at the track. I've got a Shoei X-Fourteen (Marc's helmet) that I low sided with but barely grazed it so can't really give you good crash data but I like it. I've heard good things about KYT and that they also make helmets for other brand names. They use it in MotoGP too. It's important to have a good, snug fit. Different helmets (manufacturers) are made for different head shapes. For example I can't wear a Schuberth because it makes my head feel like it's in a vise. Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought a Scorpion EXO-R1 Air Helmet in (matte raw) carbon this year. I bought it from chromeburner, it was less than $400. Its a really nice helmet for the price, and passed wera tech. I also have had a 3 year old HJC RPHA 70 (Basically an 11 with internal visor) as a street helmet and was given at the start of this past season a brand new 5 year old Arai (no longer race eligible. I have a relative in the industry). I prefer the HJC to the Arai as a street helmet, and will probably buy another this winter but in carbon to knock some weight off it.

High end "cheap" helmets are really nice anymore.

·
Director of Moderation
3,594 Posts
I've been taken out by an idiot at the track. Was wearing a Arai Quantum-II. Was knocked out and slid and tumbled at least 100 feet. Looked like someone took a belt sander to it with coarse grit. Aside from being knocked out I was uninjured; at least my head was uninjured. My hip took a good whack so I got Forcefield body armour under shorts which I always wear at the track. I've got a Shoei X-Fourteen (Marc's helmet) that I low sided with but barely grazed it so can't really give you good crash data but I like it. I've heard good things about KYT and that they also make helmets for other brand names. They use it in MotoGP too. It's important to have a good, snug fit. Different helmets (manufacturers) are made for different head shapes. For example I can't wear a Schuberth because it makes my head feel like it's in a vise. Good luck.
^Exactly that! Which is why I won't buy a helmet online again, unless it's the same as one I already have (like my current X14...bought the same size and model that I had before, so I knew it would fit me well). Bell helmets make my head feel like it's in a vise as you said, which is unfortunate. Had to return one that I bought online because of that reason. I need to be able to try a helmet on in person before I buy. Proper fit is important.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts