Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Ninja 400 in October last year. In Indonesia, it is actually a 250cc but I reckon it’s the same bike just with lower displacement. Went with ABS SE, 2018 model year. Got into the hobby because of a friend who rides Ninja 300 (250 also)... Technically my second bike, although my first is a moped lol.

Went across this forum while searching for info on clip ons and rear sets (a lot of helpful info on the forums). Planning to change them with aftermarket ones. Not building a race bike, just feel standard position is too relaxed.
Previously I go to a shop to install something, but with the self-isolation thing going on, I now have time to work on my bike myself, adding more and more stuff it’s becoming a problem lol. Here are some pics!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Welcome, nice bike. (y) The more you work on it, the better you'll understand things.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Very nice.

Question, do they really sell it as a "Ninja 400"? What would be the difference between a "Ninja 250" vs a "Ninja 400" if the displacement is the same?

Also, I see you took the rearview mirrors and tail lights off (but you said it was not for racing). Is that legal in your country, it wouldn't be in the US.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Also, I see you took the rearview mirrors and tail lights off (but you said it was not for racing). Is that legal in your country, it wouldn't be in the US.
I wonder if they really have any rules around that?.......you will see some crazy stuff on the road over there

Also in the state of TN, in the US, you only need one mirror on a motorcycle, headlight on at all times, tail light/brake light , but turn signals are not required. (obviously they are much safer than hand signals only)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome, nice bike. (y) The more you work on it, the better you'll understand things.
Thanks! Yes, it’s scary at first to know nothing and work on the bike, but now I’m slowly trying to do bigger and bigger tasks..

Very nice.

Question, do they really sell it as a "Ninja 400"? What would be the difference between a "Ninja 250" vs a "Ninja 400" if the displacement is the same?

Oh, I should’ve explained better. They market it as “Ninja 250” and it is really 250cc bike. But every other aftermarket parts are interchangeable and the dimensions are the same. I think why 250cc because it’s the limit for bikes before they’re considered luxury vehicle (they get 100% sales tax, yea it’s crazy)
I stripped one of the screws for the OE tail turn signals (the hard to reach one where you need to bend the plastic). Got it fixed now and installed with new screws on the fender eliminator kit. I also installed bar end mirrors yesterday, liked it better than the huge OE ones..

Just realized you’re talking about the license plate light (?) I’m not sure actually... all new bikes come with them, but never heard it is illegal to run without one. No mirror is definitely illegal, but it’s only just been sitting in the parking lot because of the coronavirus ?

I wonder if they really have any rules around that?.......you will see some crazy stuff on the road over there

Also in the state of TN, in the US, you only need one mirror on a motorcycle, headlight on at all times, tail light/brake light , but turn signals are not required. (obviously they are much safer than hand signals only)
They have rules for mirror, but still some crazy stuff happening all the time. People ride motorcycles all the time here in Indonesia. I’d say 60% bikes 40% cars, but mostly scooter and moped..
Only one mirror? That’s interesting... Are the rules in other states different? Here, both mirrors and turn signals are required. I noticed in the US there’s no front license plate? It is required here and my bike came with a disgusting bracket in front of the windshield. The rules are not clear where to put them, so I installed it behind the windshield...

Here are some more recent pics, just installed a phone mount. And photo of the OE position for the front plate..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
ive never seen a front plate on a motorcycle in the US. We are required to ha e them in our cars and trucks though. At least here in Texas.
Not in TN, rear plate only required on cars/trucks, and so long as its visible they do not cite for direction, I have had them give me a citation for mounted under the tail where it was hard to see many years ago......but I have had friends mount them permanent to hard shell backpacks, helmets and pulled over and told it must be mounted to the actual bike itself, no tickets given, but were advised it had to be mounted to the bike itself.

So there are some rules that are enforced, but yeah no turn signals required and only one mirror in TN. Some states are different.
Like Z400 Tex said, Ohio is also like Texas front plate required...TN not. Florida also no plate required in the front.....only 31 states, out of the 50 in the USA require front and rear plates.
And even more fun is some cities, like Chicago, require an additional city vehicle registration/inspection sticker somewhere on the car/motorcycle...cars usually front corner lower windsheild and motorcycles on the forks or somewhere up front........just another excuse to collect more tax money from Joe Public....

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What Island do you live on? I’ve been to Indonesia a couple of times on my travels and a holiday in Bali once. All good times and yeah I remember the high percentage of bikes on the road.
In years gone by some countries like the UK used to have the number plate on the front fender facing to the side so they cut the wind better.
Enjoy your modding and riding.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ive never seen a front plate on a motorcycle in the US. We are required to ha e them in our cars and trucks though. At least here in Texas.
I think it make more sense that way. Plate in front of bikes always mounted in awkward locations from the factory, plus our plate is huge, almost 11" long and 4.5" wide with poor finishing on the letters. So mounting it in front destroy the look of the bike. I wish they just let us use stickers for the plate to stick on the windshield like in malaysia if front plate really necessary..

Not in TN, rear plate only required on cars/trucks, and so long as its visible they do not cite for direction, I have had them give me a citation for mounted under the tail where it was hard to see many years ago......but I have had friends mount them permanent to hard shell backpacks, helmets and pulled over and told it must be mounted to the actual bike itself, no tickets given, but were advised it had to be mounted to the bike itself.

So there are some rules that are enforced, but yeah no turn signals required and only one mirror in TN. Some states are different.
Like Z400 Tex said, Ohio is also like Texas front plate required...TN not. Florida also no plate required in the front.....only 31 states, out of the 50 in the USA require front and rear plates.
And even more fun is some cities, like Chicago, require an additional city vehicle registration/inspection sticker somewhere on the car/motorcycle...cars usually front corner lower windsheild and motorcycles on the forks or somewhere up front........just another excuse to collect more tax money from Joe Public....
I see people with sport bikes mounting the rear plate under the tail also. I guess it's kinda illegal but not really enforced, officers will just warn you so people still do it. That's creative to mount them on backpacks! but certainly will get pulled over also if I do that here.
Do you learn the rules with your driving license, or that is something you have to find out on your own? That is a lot of things to remember if you're moving a lot... Is the inspection sticker tax on top of the 'regular' vehicle tax? Here in Indo pretty much everything comes with your bike as standard is required, you can get pulled over with aftermarket exhaust even if it complies with the maximum noise level, or if you run bar end mirror for example. If you're lucky and you have all your papers, they just advise you to put the OE back on, but some officers will write you a ticket. It is really unclear.

Welcome to the forum. What Island do you live on? I’ve been to Indonesia a couple of times on my travels and a holiday in Bali once. All good times and yeah I remember the high percentage of bikes on the road.
In years gone by some countries like the UK used to have the number plate on the front fender facing to the side so they cut the wind better.
Enjoy your modding and riding.
I live in Jakarta, on Java Island, west of Bali Island. Where did you go to in Indonesia other than Bali? Yeah, bikes are essential in Indo especially in Jakarta where the traffic is horrible, you can split lanes and filter it saves so much time. Also did you rent a bike in Bali? Lots of tourists do..
I think I've seen that somewhere.. it looks great on classic bikes like Triumph or Royal Enfield. The only other country requiring front plate is India, but theirs is much smaller so it doesn't ruin the look of the bike.. and cut the wind better I guess.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I think it make more sense that way. Plate in front of bikes always mounted in awkward locations from the factory, plus our plate is huge, almost 11" long and 4.5" wide with poor finishing on the letters. So mounting it in front destroy the look of the bike. I wish they just let us use stickers for the plate to stick on the windshield like in malaysia if front plate really necessary..

I see people with sport bikes mounting the rear plate under the tail also. I guess it's kinda illegal but not really enforced, officers will just warn you so people still do it. That's creative to mount them on backpacks! but certainly will get pulled over also if I do that here.
Do you learn the rules with your driving license, or that is something you have to find out on your own? That is a lot of things to remember if you're moving a lot... Is the inspection sticker tax on top of the 'regular' vehicle tax? Here in Indo pretty much everything comes with your bike as standard is required, you can get pulled over with aftermarket exhaust even if it complies with the maximum noise level, or if you run bar end mirror for example. If you're lucky and you have all your papers, they just advise you to put the OE back on, but some officers will write you a ticket. It is really unclear.

I live in Jakarta, on Java Island, west of Bali Island. Where did you go to in Indonesia other than Bali? Yeah, bikes are essential in Indo especially in Jakarta where the traffic is horrible, you can split lanes and filter it saves so much time. Also did you rent a bike in Bali? Lots of tourists do..
I think I've seen that somewhere.. it looks great on classic bikes like Triumph or Royal Enfield. The only other country requiring front plate is India, but theirs is much smaller so it doesn't ruin the look of the bike.. and cut the wind better I guess.
I've been to most of the major Islands Timor, Flores, Lombok, Bali, Java and Sumatra. Yep, I had a rental bike when I was in Bali, a 145cc Honda single cylinder. I put it on the ferry and rode it around Eastern Java too but the traffic there on the main roads was more mental than Bali and I feared for my safety at times! I rode it as far up Mt Bromo as I could get. It was a fun trip but I never got as far west as Jakarta. I've heard the pollution is quite bad there, as in air quality? Probably a lot better at present lol. I really enjoyed the food there too, a lot of food here is boring in comparison, too bland.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That red is FIRE!!! Congrats bro beautiful!
Thanks man! I've never seen that color here on this forum (?) Curious to know where else the colorway is sold.. It's similar to yellow/grey color I've seen here.

I've been to most of the major Islands Timor, Flores, Lombok, Bali, Java and Sumatra. Yep, I had a rental bike when I was in Bali, a 145cc Honda single cylinder. I put it on the ferry and rode it around Eastern Java too but the traffic there on the main roads was more mental than Bali and I feared for my safety at times! I rode it as far up Mt Bromo as I could get. It was a fun trip but I never got as far west as Jakarta. I've heard the pollution is quite bad there, as in air quality? Probably a lot better at present lol. I really enjoyed the food there too, a lot of food here is boring in comparison, too bland.
Hey you've been to more places in Indo than me, only been to Bali and Kalimantan myself.. That is some distance on bike from Bali to Bromo! Yes the roads are usually 2 lane with people speeding and running over the line, local people crossing the street without a care in their mind lol. The pollution is quite bad, because emissions rules are not really enforced here in Indo. Yeah, people really enjoy the food here, they use more spices so it's a lot more flavorful compared to western food.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Nice bike but man that front plate looks ugly as sh*t!!! I guess there is not much you can do about it though...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice bike but man that front plate looks ugly as sh*t!!! I guess there is not much you can do about it though...
Lol yeah I put it behind the windshield for now, at least it's not as noticeable as before behind the smoke tint...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Lol yeah I put it behind the windshield for now, at least it's not as noticeable as before behind the smoke tint...
I think it would look better behind the windscreen. That doesn't block the view of the gauge cluster? There is not a lot of room under the windscreen.

Interesting how they view anything above 250cc as a "luxury vehicle." The lowest displacement bike they sell here in the US for the Ninja's is the 400cc. It's considered a beginner bike here. I don't think there is anything wrong with going with a 250cc as your first bike but I just don't think they are very safe for highway travel. When you need to accelerate out of traffic that is already going 70 mph, it just doesn't have the power.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I think the US and parts of the EU are the exception for larger motorcycles. What we in the US consider a 'beginner bike' is pretty much the standard for the rest of the world. A good example would be Suzuki's decision when it introduced its GSX250R in 2017 ( and still in 2020). While Yamaha, Honda, and Kawi were increasing engine sizes in the 250cc class up to 321, 300, 400, etc. Suzuki chose to stay with 250cc and concentrate on global demand. GSX250R sales are dismal here in the US, but it reflects a larger marketing decision. Suzuki may jump on board eventually and increase engine size. They're certainly capable of making a competitive sports bike. Or, maybe they think the 300-500cc market's too crowded already. Who knows?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I don't know how many sports bikes Suzuki sells in the US but I don't think it's a lot. I don't see a lot of them on the street. They jump from 250cc to 600cc with no middle offering. I even have to say that their website looks like it was made 15 years ago. Not sure if these choices are intentional or they really just don't care about the US sports bike market.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think it would look better behind the windscreen. That doesn't block the view of the gauge cluster? There is not a lot of room under the windscreen.

Interesting how they view anything above 250cc as a "luxury vehicle." The lowest displacement bike they sell here in the US for the Ninja's is the 400cc. It's considered a beginner bike here. I don't think there is anything wrong with going with a 250cc as your first bike but I just don't think they are very safe for highway travel. When you need to accelerate out of traffic that is already going 70 mph, it just doesn't have the power.
It doesn’t. I bent the plate and put it in front the dashboard and screw the windshield on top. A lot of people with sport bikes do that here. Thought I might get a sticker of the plate and stick it from inside the windshield instead... the thickness of the plate is causing stress on the windshield mounting hole..
Maybe it’s the per capita income and range of bikes on sale here... minimum wage per month in Jakarta is $285 and the cheapest scooter (brand new) that you can buy is around $1000. We motorcyclist don’t get to drive on the highway, too many bikes on the roads. There is a plan to allow 250 and up on the highway though, but I personally think we’re not ready for it. People still drive dangerously, break the rules, don’t wear proper gear, etc. Maybe for bigger bikes, but not going to happen soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the US and parts of the EU are the exception for larger motorcycles. What we in the US consider a 'beginner bike' is pretty much the standard for the rest of the world. A good example would be Suzuki's decision when it introduced its GSX250R in 2017 ( and still in 2020). While Yamaha, Honda, and Kawi were increasing engine sizes in the 250cc class up to 321, 300, 400, etc. Suzuki chose to stay with 250cc and concentrate on global demand. GSX250R sales are dismal here in the US, but it reflects a larger marketing decision. Suzuki may jump on board eventually and increase engine size. They're certainly capable of making a competitive sports bike. Or, maybe they think the 300-500cc market's too crowded already. Who knows?
Yes, I see 600 bikes is pretty much the standard in US and Europe, so 400 is considered a beginner bike. Suzuki with smaller cc is maybe a recurring theme... we don’t have GSX250R here only 150. Rumor is maybe Suzuki will introduce 250 at some point in the future.

I don't know how many sports bikes Suzuki sells in the US but I don't think it's a lot. I don't see a lot of them on the street. They jump from 250cc to 600cc with no middle offering. I even have to say that their website looks like it was made 15 years ago. Not sure if these choices are intentional or they really just don't care about the US sports bike market.
I agree with you, Suzuki also need to up their game and join the competition for 250cc here. I really like the design of their GSX150R.

·
Registered
410 Posts
It doesn’t. I bent the plate and put it in front the dashboard and screw the windshield on top. A lot of people with sport bikes do that here. Thought I might get a sticker of the plate and stick it from inside the windshield instead... the thickness of the plate is causing stress on the windshield mounting hole..
Maybe it’s the per capita income and range of bikes on sale here... minimum wage per month in Jakarta is $285 and the cheapest scooter (brand new) that you can buy is around $1000. We motorcyclist don’t get to drive on the highway, too many bikes on the roads. There is a plan to allow 250 and up on the highway though, but I personally think we’re not ready for it. People still drive dangerously, break the rules, don’t wear proper gear, etc. Maybe for bigger bikes, but not going to happen soon.
I traveled a little in Southeast Asia and there were tons of small displacement bikes. It makes a lot of sense in the cities. In the US, there is a lot of highway travel so some speed capability is needed for safety. Traffic flows at 80 mph and you have to be able to accelerate beyond that for passing or potential accident avoidance. You can't do that on a 125cc, and very difficult even on a 250cc bike. I was always appalled by the complete lack of safety gear when I was visiting. I don't just mean the obvious lack of helmets, but literally people riding in flip flops and shorts. Scary stuff.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts