Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellow 400 riders! I hope you're all doing great, I just picked up a new Ninja 400 in polar yellow/grey on 6/22. I plan on using this bike for a track bike and fun around town bike. Another upside is my girlfriend just started learning to ride so I also bought something a little slower to ride with her rather than my larger bike.

I started on a yamaha r3 a little over 2 years ago, loved that bike then moved up to a CBR650F (awesome bike). I've been wanting another light bike for a while but with more power than the r3, the ninja 400 fits the bill perfectly. I plan on using this to embarrass some people on the larger super sports in the twisties :grin: .

One thing I can't find much info on is taller seats, I know Kawi makes one but does anyone else make one for us yet? The bike isn't quite as aggressive as I'd like it to be so clip ons will also be in my future as well. The taller seat should help with making the bike feel a bit bigger and handle better for track work.

This little 400 really scoots (especially compared to an R3) and is an absolute blast. Tires are already worn edge to edge and I was really surprised in the quality of the stock tire (minus a little twitchiness at the edges of the tires). The bike really likes to lean and from what I've gathered around here 15lbs weight loss with ~55RWHP should be a pretty easy feat with the mods below. That almost puts this bike at the same power to weight ratio as my 650, so it should be awesome!

All of this not to mention I stole the bike at $5300 OTD including $300 DMV/road fees ($4999 including all dealer fees for the bike).

Can't wait to use this platform as a great way to embarrass those who can't ride the bigger bikes through the twisties :wink:

Mods List Planned so far (will create a build thread):

• Taller Seat
  • Adjustable Levers (already on order)
  • Vortex Clip Ons
  • Full Exhaust
  • PCV or Flash (not sure what's available yet in terms of flash)
  • Air filter
  • Metzeler M7RR if in stock size
  • Maybe rearsets (will wait to see how the taller seat/clip ons feel) to get more rearward

·
Registered
36 Posts
All of this not to mention I stole the bike at $5300 OTD including $300 DMV/road fees ($4999 including all dealer fees for the bike).

Can't wait to use this platform as a great way to embarrass those who can't ride the bigger bikes through the twisties :wink:
Congrats, what dealer was this? Sounds like a great deal. You should have no problem tracking doing squids on larger bikes down in NC.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Baker Motorsports in Fayetteville NC - they price matched a dealer (Ultimate Cycle) out of Central VA for me ($5049 OTD No DMV Fees since out of state).

There's a ton of squids here both in terms of skill and gear I can out ride most of the guys on R6 etc in the twisties on my CBR650F with 30 less hp and more weight xD. It's going to be comical to do it with 400cc :) especially in the mountains. It's amazing how much I feel the 70lbs difference between the 650F and the Kawi when I switch, reminds me how much fun little bikes are.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kiwi I've noticed you around everywhere here when I was researching the platform and pricing. Glad to see someone technical around and your posts are always good/informative :) - Hope I can contribute as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome! I know you from the old neighborhood (r-3forums)!

Missing the smaller bikes already eh? After my last 600 class bike and the R3, I know I will be stuck with the lightweights for a while. I am also looking at a Ninja 400 after this deployment. The last couple of track days though have reminded me that even with the R25 (250) there is still a lot of time to gain on the race track. I think the majority of us moving from the R3/25 are doing so for the same reason. Cheap bike, lightweight, and very easily and reliable 50+HP.

·
Registered
460 Posts
One thing I can't find much info on is taller seats, I know Kawi makes one but does anyone else make one for us yet? The bike isn't quite as aggressive as I'd like it to be so clip ons will also be in my future as well. The taller seat should help with making the bike feel a bit bigger and handle better for track work.
[/LIST]
First off welcome.

Always great to have another track rider/racer. The 400 really holds its own.

Can you expand a little more on the taller seat. How will a taller seat make it handle better on the track? I would think a taller seat will move the center of gravity higher. Just curious as I havent heard this before. I know all of the race fairings I have bought have just a little pad to sit on. Which is even lower then the stock seat. I would think if a higher seat is better; then there would be an option to get it when you buy race fairings. Just my .02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts