Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone and welcome to the forum other newbies like me! I have really enjoyed reading through this forum the past few days and I am excited to become part of this community. I am a new rider who has NEVER ridden (zero motorcycle experience) previously and I will be taking the MSF course this weekend and I can not wait! I have my eyes on the ninja 400 black/solar yellow, but recently have become skeptical if I should spend the extra money on the cool color scheme being as though it seems like most people drop their bikes when first starting out! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
19 Posts
You are going to pay a little extra for the ABS model which i highly recommend so I would go with whichever color you prefer. I actually paid less for my B/G/Y than the abs lists for so you may not pay much more if any at all

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going with the ABS model without a doubt.

Being that I have never ridden a motorcycle before I'm just wondering how likely is it that I may drop it? Seems like it happens quite a bit.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you're careful and think about what you're doing (focus), dropping your bike isn't always inevitable. From my own experience and those of others I know, dropping the bike often comes from being inattentive to what you're doing and what's happening around you. Also, as many drops are of the slow speed variety (for example, I dropped a bike, not my N400, as I tried to park it on a sharply sloping side of the road near the gutter -- wasn't really thinking). For those instances, you can put frame sliders on your bike as well as bar end sliders in order to minimize minor damage/scratches. I don't have them on my N400 currently but only because I haven't found ones that I really like. So don't let that worry constrain your choice of colors or features. Enjoy.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Welcome :)
Dropping your new pride and joy is definitely not inevitable.
Yes, occasionally $hit happens but mostly it's going to be up to you.
Watch out for slow awkward turning maneuvers and such like. This is where people often get their co-ordination at the controls or footing wrong and end up dropping the bike.
If you can't flat foot the bike because of your height then you need to be extra careful.

I dropped my first road bike trying to turn it on a sloping grass lawn. Just plain dumb! I'm sure you wont do that. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome. Enjoy your new addicting hobby.
I have ridden over 300,000 miles in my lifetime and still can't get enough. :wink:

·
Registered
440 Posts

Being that I have never ridden a motorcycle before I'm just wondering how likely is it that I may drop it? Seems like it happens quite a bit.

Enjoy your rides and don't concentrate on the time it will fall..:)
You will drop it when you least expect it, doing something that seems so simple as to not ever drop it..
it just happens... I walked away from a bike once forgetting the kickstand... stuff..it just happens..
:grin::angel::grin:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Hello everyone and welcome to the forum other newbies like me! I have really enjoyed reading through this forum the past few days and I am excited to become part of this community. I am a new rider who has NEVER ridden (zero motorcycle experience) previously and I will be taking the MSF course this weekend and I can not wait! I have my eyes on the ninja 400 black/solar yellow, but recently have become skeptical if I should spend the extra money on the cool color scheme being as though it seems like most people drop their bikes when first starting out! Any suggestions?
Early gratzzzz and welcome! :grin:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts

Youll be fine babe. I would suggest you really go hard on your MSF class since they should be providing the bikes to you. That's where I did all my falling/dropping. I actually dropped their bike 5 times...LOL! I HOPE I got it out of my system.

Since I passed the course I have ridden my friend's ninja 650 and my ninja 400...I haven't dropped either bike yet; and I don't plan on it. However, if it happens, it's pretty normal, and I'm not gonna stress. Just practice your slow riding (knowing your balance and limits with the bike) helps you discern the weight of the bike; and practice your turns and riding in curves. This is typically where most spills occur. You'll do well though! No stress! :3tens:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the wonderful support! I'm getting better at not worrying so much about dropping it. I'm just going ride and do what I gotta do. Got my ninja 400 yesterday and I haven't been able to stop obsessing over motorcycling!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TaiMc: That's great you haven't dropped your new bike so far! Im sure you won't but I have heard the frame sliders really help with that. Im considering getting some myself. I actually took the course over the past weekend and It really helped give me the confidence I needed. I was fortunate no to drop their bike and actually surprised myself by receiving a perfect score on the driving portion of the test! Although the bike was only a 250 and the 400 seems more massive and possibly heavier as well I think I just need to ride it to gain that same confidence with my own bike. Thanks for the great advice! I will reemeber that while im riding and practicing my curves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts