Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IF I decide to run a race or two next year, I would like to pick up an airbag system.
Has anyone used the Helite E-GP? I know it is pretty new.
I am leaning towards it because it is $1000 and fits over your leathers vs $1150 for the Alpinestars.
If I go Alpinestars, I would have to buy an airbag compatible suit too, so probably another $1500.
I also like that I can recharge the Helite myself.
They have a cheaper option with mechanical activation, but I would embarass myself every time I jumped off the bike.

Thoughts?

Registered
One engine, 2 wheels, reformed squid rider 馃槀馃悪
The pros for this system is you can use a standard suit as the AStars setup has you get a suit specific to their air bag setup.

Any airbag suit has to be used with an airbag so sizing will fit only the airbag under it.
You can order airbag suits custom fit without the airbag but why?馃

The cons isn't so much the cost but in a good low side I'd be afraid that the belt sander like tarmac would literally tear apart the airbag as it's exposed. 馃え

Once popped you'll have to buy another but it will save your body by doing so.
The other con is that in warmer weather all the perforations in your suit will be worthless with the cover of the airbag in top of the suit. 馃槈

There's pros and cons for both but me personally I like the outer airbag for the cost and capability of the user to reinflate.

With my riding I may need one of these to save my ass from being too aggressive on how I ride. 馃槵馃槼馃う
I'll be followimg this thread for further comments opinions.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pros for this system is you can use a standard suit as the AStars setup has you get a suit specific to their air bag setup.

Any airbag suit has to be used with an airbag so sizing will fit only the airbag under it.
You can order airbag suits custom fit without the airbag but why?馃

The cons isn't so much the cost but in a good low side I'd be afraid that the belt sander like tarmac would literally tear apart the airbag as it's exposed. 馃え

Once popped you'll have to buy another but it will save your body by doing so.
The other con is that in warmer weather all the perforations in your suit will be worthless with the cover of the airbag in top of the suit. 馃槈

There's pros and cons for both but me personally I like the outer airbag for the cost and capability of the user to reinflate.

With my riding I may need one of these to save my ass from being too aggressive on how I ride. 馃槵馃槼馃う
I'll be followimg this thread for further comments opinions.
Everyone I have asked says any airbag takes away most of the ventilation, because you are wrapping your torso in a un-inflated balloon.
The leather sliders on the Helite are replaceable, so as long as those were replaced before damage is done to the bag itself, I guess it would be ok?

Vendor
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400
This isn't true actually, the Tech Air 5 actually is supposed to work with many suits and jackets, and there are companies out there that make custom suits for less than the Alpinestars tech air suits that are specifically meant to fit with both the Tech 5 and Tech 10. I'm getting one from Comet Racing Leathers, and Mithos makes suits for the Tech 5 and 10 as well.

The Tech 5 is the cheapest wireless airbag that's reliable, and self contained (doesn't require subscription), but you do have to use their shitty app with it to update and change modes.

If you can find the Helite E-GP for sale, I'd get that, I couldn't even find it at all. Either sold out with no ETA or out of production. I ended up with the Tech 5, haven't gotten to use it yet since I'm still waiting on my custom suit.

Registered
This isn't true actually, the Tech Air 5 actually is supposed to work with many suits and jackets, and there are companies out there that make custom suits for less than the Alpinestars tech air suits that are specifically meant to fit with both the Tech 5 and Tech 10. I'm getting one from Comet Racing Leathers, and Mithos makes suits for the Tech 5 and 10 as well.

The Tech 5 is the cheapest wireless airbag that's reliable, and self contained (doesn't require subscription), but you do have to use their shitty app with it to update and change modes.

If you can find the Helite E-GP for sale, I'd get that, I couldn't even find it at all. Either sold out with no ETA or out of production. I ended up with the Tech 5, haven't gotten to use it yet since I'm still waiting on my custom suit.
So your saying that I can take the tech5 airbag and use it under my custom fit Plus and Envy suits with no issues? 馃

Is there not an issue once deployed a standard custom tailored suit would allow it to work without squeezing you like a zit? 馃槀馃槈

I have allowed extra room for my back protector for both so maybe I'm overthinking all this. 馃樁
I'll have to do more research on this and be better informed.
My last crash 馃う had my ribs pretty badly bruised (hard to breath and don't sneeze 馃)and the air bag would have probably lessened that if not completely prevented that injury. 馃憤

Thanks for the reply and good topic for discussion. 馃憤

Vendor
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400
So your saying that I can take the tech5 airbag and use it under my custom fit Plus and Envy suits with no issues? 馃

Is there not an issue once deployed a standard custom tailored suit would allow it to work without squeezing you like a zit? 馃槀馃槈

I have allowed extra room for my back protector for both so maybe I'm overthinking all this. 馃樁
I'll have to do more research on this and be better informed.
My last crash 馃う had my ribs pretty badly bruised (hard to breath and don't sneeze 馃)and the air bag would have probably lessened that if not completely prevented that injury. 馃憤

Thanks for the reply and good topic for discussion. 馃憤
From their website:

鈥淭his is the ideal Tech-Air system for the Sport and Street Rider, Urban Commuter or Touring Adventure. Tech-Air 5 is a slim, self contained wearable vest that can be worn under any motorcycle jacket that has stretch-ability or 2 inches of room around the chest inside.鈥

Tech Air 5 Autonomous Air Bag System 漏 2022 Alpinestars.com

So... I was actually giving some leeway when I said "most" since they say "any" as long as it stretches or has 2 inches of room. From their preview on Google:

"Tech-Air庐 5 is a slim, self-contained wearable airbag vest that can be worn under any proper fitting textile jacket or Tech-Air庐 compatible jacket, ..."

Font Sky Darkness Circle Event

So if you have just a proper fitting textile jacket, they specifically say you can use it on any.

Registered
@misnblu I think you would want to confirm that your Plus and or Envy custom suits were designed with airbag use in mind. If yes, they'll have enough stretch built in to allow the airbag to fully deploy. If that's the case, tech air 5 has been working well for me and many of my friends this past race season. It definitely is hot, and takes a bit of practice to get in and out of the suit with the vest, but I'm overall happy with it. I love the idea of being able to recharge a vest myself trackside, but I also worry about damaging an over the suit unit in a crash. just my .02.

Registered
2013 Ninja 300
I got the TA5 about a year ago. No deploys. I use it under my old Axo one-piece suit, which fits me a bit loose. My suit has some stretch panels.
I chose the TA5 over the Elite because the TA5 covers around the shoulders.

I may get the TA10 for the track in the future and keep the TA5 for street riding.

Putting the TA5 on under the one-piece suit without help is a pain, and you sweat more, but I think it's worth. It gives me peace of mind.

I've had problems with the App at the beginning, but after the last update seems to work well enough for me.

A bit disappointed with AS customer service, as I tried to reach them with questions about five times and got only one answer. But since the product seems to work as expected, I trust it and I'm happy.

Registered
All good information and I thank you.
I'm pretty sure both suits I ha e are air bag compatible but I'll be checking with both to make sure.

This may be something on my list as time goes on. 馃

1 - 10 of 10 Posts