Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, can any one tell me if there is a power pick up point for heated grips, in the loom somewhere?
Don't want to wire direct to battery, want them through Ignition.
I know they have an intelligent sensor witch turns them off, if you forget, I just think it's safer through the ignition.
Could probably tap into the loom somewhere, but don't want to chop wiring about if I can help it.
Thanks in advance.(y)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Just do it with a relay if you don't want it to go directly to the battery.

I also recommend looking into battery powered heated gloves. I use one and it really works well.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I would strongly advise against opening up a wiring loom... anywhere and anytime. You'll never be able to weather-proof the circuit as well as from the factory... no matter where on the bike it's opened. And to be honest, I suspect any type connector used in the opened wiring loom... would be so bulky, it would look worse than pooh on a white rag.
Not to argue with your reasoning for not wanting to attach directly to the battery.... but that's where most of the manufacturers of heated grips recommend. I'm on my 2nd pair of Oxford's, and it's controller is smarter than I am, and never done anything but what it's supposed to do... shut down when I forget. But if you want to attach to "the ignition" I'd go to the Fuse Panel, (or a relay like Invenio mentioned) and tap into your desired circuit. Most heated grips draw a relatively low amperage, so most any fuse on the bike would work without being over-worked.

·
Registered
160 Posts
:cool: I have a 2020 Ninja and I use Ourey hot hands for heated grips so I add a plug on all my bikes so the grips can go bike to bike, On my bike the wires were in the back under the seat in the black bundle holder ,I got a relay and ran wires to the bars for my grips or volt meter, Works great, hope that helps ya...

·
Registered
53 Posts
why dont you want to wire to the battery? Seems the best way to get the proper gauge wire and be able to do it cleanly with no failure prone splices.
what kinda wattage are the gloves rated at? Why do the gloves need a key on connection?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the BikeMaster ones from amazon on my previous 400. They hardwire to the battery but you can easily disconnect/reconnect them with a plug.

If you look at their product picture on amazon, there are the two heated grips which plug into a control box you put near the handlebars. The control box has a quick disconnect connector which plugs into the long wire going into the battery. On my Ninja, this ended up being located under the 12v socket cutout, off to the side between the triple tree and the fuel tank. I zip tied the wires into place so they wouldn't interfere with the steering/other cables, but left some slack so they could be unplugged as needed. It was easy to unclip by hand, no need for a pick tool like with most of the wiring harnesses Kawasaki put on the bike.

Hiding the wires and making it look pretty on your unfaired Z400 might take some ingenuity though - but I suppose that's an issue with every heated grip. The white clips could be spray painted black maybe.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Speaking of pretty, I don't know if you saw this, but there was a thread about Apollo heated grips. What is interesting about them, is that they do not have a control box, so they look like normal grip. But the wiring is similar, to the battery.

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Z400
2 Posts
If you have the coin, and want a no-cut solution, try this thing made by the same company that makes the Speedo Healer called the "Thunderbox" Thunder Box (TB) - HealTech Electronics Ltd.
It's a switched and fused 'smart' power distribution box. When it senses the higher running voltage from the alternator, it knows the engine is running, and enables power to whatever's attached. Since it uses eyelet connectors, you can connect to the battery terminals - or the starter relay (see below) if you want to be more discrete - without cutting anything. The white wire is the mode-select - most importantly, grounding the white wire disables the box so it doesn't come on when you plug the bike into a trickle charger.

This is the starter relay, it's on the left side under the plastic tray beneath the seat. The terminal on the right side of this image (with the extra tab on it) is the battery side, and can be used to connect things as if they were connected to the battery. The side without the tab goes to the starter motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts