Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

Haven't ridden in 4 looong weeks

6K views 86 replies 14 participants last post by  jbcurt00 
#1 ·
I want to ride soooo bad. Weather has been soo good. Dam!!! 🐉

#8 ·
Whattt? What’s keeping you from riding! I myself haven’t ridden in 2.5weeks. I was on my way to see some friends participate in CMRA races at the track and I slid on some gravel and sand in a turn! Didnt see the doggone sand! My right side was impacted…I think it cushioned Vert’s fall. Bike is in GREAT condition: just have scratches on 3 right side fairings and both brake levers were bent. My cousin Trey was with me and took care of my bike…replaced my levers and holding my bike until I can get it.

I sustained a broken right ankle, dislocated right shoulder, road rashed knee (wasnt wearing knee armor)…and a pinched nerve! Im healing well! I saw my ortho dr today and he said I’m a great patient! 🤓 I miss riding, but tbh I needed to SIT DOWN. Lots of things happened in October…every weekend Inhad something going on and then I had some emotional stress and hardships happened. I think that I didnt want to sort those emotional events out by working through them…that I decided to fill my schedule with things to do to stay distracted.

In hindsight I’m glad the accident happened. I needed the downtime from work, from other people…from the pace of my life. I miss riding but as my friend said “it aint going anywhere…focus on your recovery”. And that’s what I plan to do.
I’m also missing some gorgeous weather to ride in but I’m enjoying my self-care…my sleep, my own company. Lol it’s like I’m rediscovering myself again. I’m on paid sick leave and my auto insurance paid me out $2500 PIP for lost wages (yes u can be paid even if ur getting paid leave, for accidents).

I hope you are healing well! Enjoy your off time…take care of yourself physically, emotionally, mentally. SLEEP SLEEP SLEEP.

Hopefully, we’ll both be back riding in a few more weeks. I think I have another 6 weeks before I’m fully healed.

Fuel tank Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

#9 ·
Whattt? What’s keeping you from riding! I myself haven’t ridden in 2.5weeks. I was on my way to see some friends participate in CMRA races at the track and I slid on some gravel and sand in a turn! Didnt see the doggone sand! My right side was impacted…I think it cushioned Vert’s fall. Bike is in GREAT condition: just have scratches on 3 right side fairings and both brake levers were bent. My cousin Trey was with me and took care of my bike…replaced my levers and holding my bike until I can get it.

I sustained a broken right ankle, dislocated right shoulder, road rashed knee (wasnt wearing knee armor)…and a pinched nerve! Im healing well! I saw my ortho dr today and he said I’m a great patient! 🤓 I miss riding, but tbh I needed to SIT DOWN. Lots of things happened in October…every weekend Inhad something going on and then I had some emotional stress and hardships happened. I think that I didnt want to sort those emotional events out by working through them…that I decided to fill my schedule with things to do to stay distracted.

In hindsight I’m glad the accident happened. I needed the downtime from work, from other people…from the pace of my life. I miss riding but as my friend said “it aint going anywhere…focus on your recovery”. And that’s what I plan to do.
I’m also missing some gorgeous weather to ride in but I’m enjoying my self-care…my sleep, my own company. Lol it’s like I’m rediscovering myself again. I’m on paid sick leave and my auto insurance paid me out $2500 PIP for lost wages (yes u can be paid even if ur getting paid leave, for accidents).

I hope you are healing well! Enjoy your off time…take care of yourself physically, emotionally, mentally. SLEEP SLEEP SLEEP.

Hopefully, we’ll both be back riding in a few more weeks. I think I have another 6 weeks before I’m fully healed.

View attachment 21036
View attachment 21035
View attachment 21034

View attachment 21036
View attachment 21035
View attachment 21034
Dam! Vert has character now. My Nina is gone😭
I guess we are both on the recovery list, no fun hobbling around huh?
🐉

#17 ·
Sorry too hear about the crashes, @Tracy and @TaiMc. Crashes suck for sure. I crashed in April at the track. Totally my fault, I got on it way too hard in my 1st session 1st lap of the season. Cold track, cold tires, over confident rider. I know better but still got bit. Slight concussion, grade 1 shoulder separation and an ambulance ride to the ER. The damage to the bike wasn’t too bad, fixed it up and was on the 3 weeks later. But my confidence was shot until mid June.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire

#23 ·
Aww man!?!? So glad you’ve recovered and the bike is fixed! Yea…I didn’t want to create a separate post about my slide bc I know yall be concerned about me; plus didn’t wanna deter new riders on here. I also wanted to notify yall once I had good news to report lol. So, I’m gld I found this thread…it’s like our “crash/accident” thread lol. 💚

And yup lots of accidents occur on cold track/cold tires. It happened a lot when I would cornerwork track day events. Sometimes you think a track may be warmed up when it’s not. I’m just glad you are good 🙏🏽

#25 ·
Dang, TaiMc too!?

Good to hear you are recovering and that it could have been worse, but yeah still sucks.
Both of you get better soon>

For me, hitting upper 50's and lower 60's here but that air having a chill about has me packing it in for the season.
The roads never really warm up enough with the nights being cold or sometimes nearing freezing.

#26 ·
Haha…yup me too! For it being my first spill, I think I’m okay with the way things turned out. Definitely learned a lot and just sooo happy I don’t have to rebuild my bike or buy a new one.

Only thing that changed is that I’mma hold off on buying my Ducati 950s. My insurance paid me a nice lil sum and I’ve been able to essentially pay my Jeep off earlier than I expected. Plus i had planned on buying the Duc in December. Since I won’t be riding in December and probably late January…I figured I might as well hold off and enjoy being debt free for the first time in my life since before college. Plus, January and February is when we can get ice, so it’s not the best riding conditions.

Started doing a lot of Financial planning and realized just how much $ I can save during 2022…and into 2023 and wanna put some $ down on an investment property. There’s no rush for another bike and I’ve had time to think on it.

Plus if I wait…I can get the bike later, pay cash and still be debt free after getting it. Who knows they may come out with a better version of the Supersport. 🤷🏽‍♀️

We’ll see!

#39 ·
LOL! Stop it! Thanks for the laugh, but I'm looking forward to PT! No pain no gain and I'm aiming to be back to normal.

If I can fully recover, it'll help my family accept my choice to ride still. I need to get back to normal, bc now the pressure is on. They're slowly telling me how it has made "them" feel... and tbh it's a bit burdensome for me. I'm trying to be understanding but at the same time, I don't wanna hear it. When I got into my head-on collision in my car, I was injured but no1 tried to convince me to give up driving. So it's like stop trying to convince me to stop riding.

I'm not receiving it.

#41 ·
My family has given up trying too convince me too stop riding. I have been riding on the track since 2008, and they realize it’s the safest place to ride and crash! My youngest son has gotten into the sport as well. He did 2 track days this season and of course crashed on the 2nd day riding beyond his limits. He wasn’t hurt but needed that reminder too chill out.

I used to love PT when I had the hip injury. I looked at it like a gym work out, NO PAIN NO GAIN!!! I started the month using a walker, and at the end of the month I was down too 1 crutch. 2 months later no cane just walking with a limp. 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Don’t let the non riders talk you out of the sport. They don’t understand our psssion/obsession to RIDE!!! Unfortunately crashing happens, you just have too gear up and ride within your limits. 😎😎😎

#46 ·
I think most of us faced people who tell us how dangerous this is. While I appreciate the concern, it gets annoying when you start hearing stories about people they know who died or became handicapped because of an accident. While you try explaining how you minimize the risks and actually drive better, you always get the zinger "It is more dangerous than a car". Lately, I tried explaining how a near head-on collision that I avoided with the motorcycle could have been a real accident if I had my car. I still got "you still are more vulnerable"é

With some people I go to lengths to explain the benefits and that in fact nothing is really safe. It is better to live, learn and enjoy life than try to be 100% secure, which is an illusion.

#80 · (Edited)
100% on this...the same ole story i keep hearing too. It's like...do yall think we don't know the risks??? We out here taking them lol. But life is risk...like we have so many people that legit get ran over and they walking on the sidewalk. When it's your time, nothing will prevent it. That's how I see it. But gettin me worked up and bothered doesn't help my mental state when I still plan to ride. They miteaswell be positive about it.

#49 · (Edited)
Right, I can understand.
I have been on two wheels, motorized since I was 8 years old and my dad rode before he was married and all my youth until he ended up in a wheelchair(not from a motorcycle accident either)

I had a wreck that should have took my life in 2007, I lived, I walked and I rode/ride again.....actually was on the track on a R6 late 08 early 09, lol

But my first instinct when it happened was to panic and have a rash reaction, it could have been all the drugs as well, but I told my wife we need to get rid of all of it, anything that has two wheels with a motor.
My main motivation was I had a son who was 2 3/4 years old at the time, and 100% a daddies boy and I put him on a dirtbike and pocket bike on his 2nd birthday, so I totally freaked out what if it is my influences, and decisions that cause something later in life for him?!?!
What if the next time I am not so blessed and he looses his dad?!?!?

It was shortly after this reaction, I came to my senses and realized two things, well really one, that is if you believe in any sort of higher power or creation theory, I do not truly control anything with my life.
Sure I can live in a bubble, I can give up the things I love to be safer, and try to do everything that prolongs my life, but can I really control my own life or death? Or for that matter anyone else's?

I could be standing in my house(to avoid too much sitting and potential blood clots, etc.) wearing a helmet, a heart monitor, wrapped in bubble tape watching TV at a respectable distance with blue light blocking glasses on and a random truck, car come crashing into my house and kill me. Or an engine off a plane fall off and land on me. Or for no apparent reason at all have a heart attack and die.
Or some crazy person in a box store shooting everyone and I get struck in the back and die while I am trying to figure out if I buy the store brand Raisin Bran or the Kellogg's brand.

Or any other number of possible scenarios occur that I have 0 control over, or I can learn and grow from my 2nd chance at life, recognize it was a gift from the Lord(sorry, but not sorry, yes I believe in Jesus Christ and give Him all the Glory) and continue to enjoy life, the additional years I spent with my son, wife, friends and family and the many blessings it brings.

Have I slowed down and do I ride a 400 on the streets to govern my use of the throttle, wear all gear all the time and try to be more alert and aware of surrounding and blind corners, well heck yeah I do :)

If you love it and its not drugs, drinking 24/7, cutting oneself, etc. that are apparent self harming habits/behavior just do it, and those that truly love you and care for you will come to understand and accept your decisions and choices, just as you theirs.
Like the fact that maybe one of them voted for Biden......lol

#81 ·
...Or any other number of possible scenarios occur that I have 0 control over, or I can learn and grow from my 2nd chance at life, recognize it was a gift from the Lord(sorry, but not sorry, yes I believe in Jesus Christ and give Him all the Glory) and continue to enjoy life, the additional years I spent with my son, wife, friends and family and the many blessings it brings...
💯 💯 💯 💯 💯 💯 💯 💯 💯

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.