Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I installed the Akrapovic Full System but wanted to confirm my work. The manual calls for putting on the flanges and spigots on in a certain way and I have followed it but the flanges themselves do not sit flush against the exhaust header but the spigots are put in as much as they can be.

In other words when putting the nuts on the studs that the flange goes on, it starts bending. I have no exhaust leaks from what I can decipher but I have uploaded this picture for your guys to tell me.

If in fact I have done it wrong, can someone who has done it right upload a photo for me to see.

thank you.

Pics of Flanges and Spigots

·
Registered
900 Posts
The flanges do not go flush against the head. If you’re bending them that’s too tight. But just a little bit and you’re ok.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The flanges do not go flush against the head. If you’re bending them that’s too tight. But just a little bit and you’re ok.
Oh Thank God. I thought they were supposed to be flush and got worried.

They are bent just a little bit, 16lb/ft I believe was the spec.

Which slip on do you have, the titanium or carbon?

·
Registered
84 Posts
The flanges hold the spigots to the port... no need to bend them and it will lead to problems later on. Id put those flanges in a vice and get them straight... then use a proper torque wrench. .
Also when installing an exhaust... you never torque anything down until its 100% properly fitted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The flanges hold the spigots to the port... no need to bend them and it will lead to problems later on. Id put those flanges in a vice and get them straight... then use a proper torque wrench. .
Also when installing an exhaust... you never torque anything down until its 100% properly fitted.
I used a torque wrench and I waited until everything was in place before torqueing (springs, connection to the muffler, etc.). The thing is that the flanges are not supposed to sit flush against the exhaust ports. After the user above's post I looked at the one video of installation I could find online and they did the same thing. My setup of the spigots and flanges also matches the pictures in the manual. Because they don't sit flush, there is a gap between the port and the flange and when tightening the nut down on the stud, it will bend it slightly.

It wasn't my goal to bend it and it seemed weird to me too but I took it out and checked for exhaust leaks after and there were none.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
It wasn't my goal to bend it and it seemed weird to me too but I took it out and checked for exhaust leaks after and there were none.
It sounds like you've done everything right. Any chance there's supposed to be some sort of fiber exhaust gasket to fill the void between the header flange and cylinder port so there's no room to flex and bend as they're tightened? Like the OEM part 11061 ( # 1 in the schematic).
Save up to 25% on 2019 Kawasaki NINJA 400 OEM Parts | MotoSport

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used a torque wrench and I waited until everything was in place before torqueing (springs, connection to the muffler, etc.). The thing is that the flanges are not supposed to sit flush against the exhaust ports. After the user above's post I looked at the one video of installation I could find online and they did the same thing. My setup of the spigots and flanges also matches the pictures in the manual. Because they don't sit flush, there is a gap between the port and the flange and when tightening the nut down on the stud, it will bend it slightly.

in inch or ft lbs?? Very familiar with Akras flanges... I have their systems on ALL my bikes.

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Same thing happened to me when I installed my full Akra exhaust. Akra's instructions for torqueing these header nuts are way too tight at 22 Nm. Go for stock torque of 12 Nm to prevent bending of the flanges. Oh and don't forget to add new gaskets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts