Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not talking oil loss or coolant loss or introduction of contamination or stupid sh!t, just plain old grenaded for no reason
馃悏

Registered
Pinging @cu260r6

Tell us the whole story. Anything we should be aware of?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last 2 times I have double posted.....its not me I swear!
馃悏

Registered
I'm not talking oil loss or coolant loss or introduction of contamination or stupid sh!t, just plain old grenaded for no reason
馃悏
Has something bad happened?

Registered
I wonder if his was false neutrals alot and catching that neutral with throttle pinned too many times and boom she went......usually though what causes these motors to go is oil starvation and repetitive extreme heat.....like the bike shut itself off cause it got so hot, and then once it cooled off enough to start, I started it and ran it hard again......and it shut itself off again.......continue until boom goes the motor, which usually happens after a shower of coolant went everywhere during this adventure a while back

Also if SBK has not blown a motor yet..........

Registered
Pinging @cu260r6

Tell us the whole story. Anything we should be aware of?
The bearing on the balancer shaft failed and dug metal out of the cases. It did not seize, smoke, or leak anything but made a strange clattering noise in the head. Quite a strange failure.

Registered
is oil starvation
That was a problem with EX250s that were raced, a local tuner found that a little bit of grinding on the lower engine case around the oil pickup made things better. Oh yes, the people who constantly revved until the limiter kicked in/valves bounced had a higher number of catastrophic failures than the people who showed the engine a little bit of sympathy.

I don't know where the 400 oil level is during a sustained wheelie, but a gulp of air by the oil pickup doesn't do anything good for plain bearings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts