I read it yesterday but cant find it now,help please
keith

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hello im trying to find the article on a hard break in showing the pistons
I read it yesterday but cant find it now,help please
keith
You may like to read this article about piston rings and their purpose... I'll stick close the what the manuals recommends for engine break-In myself. I so wish the Designers of this new 400 Engine would pay a visit to the forums and give us the actual low down on the 4K Break-In.

Piston & Rings

·
Registered
177 Posts
A lot of parts besides rings and cylinders are affected by how you do the break-in. These other parts include bearing surfaces, valve train components and transmission gears.

During the break-in period you're trying to avoid excessive metal-to-metal contact between these other interfacing parts while their mating surfaces are still in the process of conforming to one another.

You don't need to flog your new engine to seat its rings properly.

See also: this post.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ring-Seating Without Flogging Your Bike

If you've been reading about the ultra-crucial importance of compression-sealing your rings to the cylinder surfaces and you want to do something special to promote it, you can do that without adopting the potentially-destructive "Run it hard !" philosophy.

With the engine warmed up, but not hot, occasionally and briefly apply full throttle while you're riding at cruising speed. Follow each full-throttle spurt with some engine braking and easy cruising.

It's important for the internal parts of the engine, not just the coolant, to be fully warmed up when you do this. Your engine's internal parts take longer to warm up than the coolant does.

A small amount of ring-seating treatment goes a long way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts