Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been seeing people grounding their bikes in my country. I've yet to try it out, but I do want to know a few things though.

What benefit does grounding actually have? And does the N400 really needs more grounding? A friend of mine kept telling me that I don't really need grounding with new bikes, usually grounding is to help with old bike with worn/corroded battery wires. I've no knowledge on this, so kindly do share with me facts and opinions!

Sorry if I post it on the wrong thread, or if it's a touchy subject.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I've seen people add grounding straps to their cars to eliminate the static electric shock they get when they touch their car. But I've never experienced static shocks with a motorbike.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@mad_mardigen oh boi, am I stirring a poopstorm here?
@Kiwi Rider I dunno actually. Hence I'd like to know overseas opinions. And I don't think electrical storms has anything to do with it.

They usually claim it'll add better throttle response, brighter headlight, etc etc.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sounds like this is a mod for older bikes with marginal electrical systems. No need for such a thing on the 400.

Now, if it is claimed to increase performance on a modern bike...well, whenever I ride naked, the sensation of speed is much greater....even though the GPS says otherwise. So, there's that.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
@mad_mardigen oh boi, am I stirring a poopstorm here?

@Kiwi Rider I dunno actually. Hence I'd like to know overseas opinions. And I don't think electrical storms has anything to do with it.

They usually claim it'll add better throttle response, brighter headlight, etc etc.
:WTF:

Oh boy, I was being serious up until now, but after hearing that I'm reaching for the pop corn too. :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Warp12 and I guess that's why my friend kept saying there isn't a need to.
@kwik rider I see what you did there. ?
@Kiwi Rider Don't forget to share with me the popcorn!

Jokes aside, if it's really just a fad, I feel sad for the motorcycle community in my country. Not all of them did, but the presence of this business is quite prominent here.

·
Registered
110 Posts
@Warp12 and I guess that's why my friend kept saying there isn't a need to.

@kwik rider I see what you did there. ?

@Kiwi Rider Don't forget to share with me the popcorn!

Jokes aside, if it's really just a fad, I feel sad for the motorcycle community in my country. Not all of them did, but the presence of this business is quite prominent here.

I have never in 40 years of motorcycling ever heard of grounding a motorcycle, so if anybody has the info on what this is all about please share.

Gonna get some more popcorn now :popcorn:

·
Registered
764 Posts
grounding a motorbike.. it should already be grounded from factory, if you need to add another grounding solution then you are not taking car of you bike lol

·
Registered
242 Posts
Technically, every wire has some amount of resistance. So, adding parallel ground wires technically reduces resistance. Now, whether it makes any useful difference is an exercise left to the reader. The headlight would be about the only possible thing (the highest current device on a bike, aside from the momentary starter).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for replies guys. This is not just for myself, but also to share with my friends who ride too. Some of them actually swore by it, sayig taking it out will make the bike feel like something went wrong, or feels like spoilt but not (don't ask my why, but that's what they said).

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Just to share as an example, don't go bash the page or whatnot. ?

https://www.facebook.com/fahmotoGS/
Thanks for providing me with some humor whilst eating my cereal.

This was the best bit for me:
Depending on your application the lowest power gain we have seen was 2 horsepower, and the highest horsepower gain we have been was 16 horsepower.

To be fair I think he's talking about cars, but 2 extra HP's - I'll take it! :biggrin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts