Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and I spent friday through Sunday riding the twisties up in the Gila mountains wilderness with a few friends. She was pulling off the road for a rest, locked up her front tire on some gravel, hit some deep, loose gravel, the bike bucked her to the side and she landed on her shoulder. Separated her right clavicle from the shoulder joint. She needs to wear a sling for 1-2 months, and the bike got banged up. The rear brake lever and the muffler need to be replaced, but other than that, it's all cosmetic stuff. Cracked and scratched plastics. She was wearing full gear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
sorry to hear

Was she wearing any protection?

stuff happens at very low speeds and I have seen friends drop bikes in parking lots and get a broken collar bone

wishing her a speedy recover

·
Registered
43 Posts
Glad nothing is broken. Hoping she can get back out there soon.

Did this happen on an ABS bike? Wondering if gravel is a situation where they'd lock up.

·
Registered
145 Posts
^^ ABS should work well on gravel. The ABS unit doesn't know the type of ground. It releases the brake grip when it detects that the wheel locked up.

Hope she gets fully recovered soon.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Glad she is mostly ok. I live on a gravel road, rear brake, only....front brake brake will put you on your butt....before you know what happened. I've done it, long ago, and my gf did while learning on her 2nd gen 250...

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Ah yes.... it does happen. At least her injury is one that will heal 100%, just takes time. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

I've done the same thing to both bike and clavical but not in the same incident! Both fixable. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
**** I’m sorry to hear. I wish her a speedy recovery.

Did this happen on an ABS bike? Wondering if gravel is a situation where they'd lock up.
Well that’s good to hear. I was dead set on getting ABS.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks everyone.

She was wearing full gear. She always does. That definitely saved her from some bad gravel rash and a head impact.

She has no experience on gravel or off road and she made several mistakes because of it.

She does not have the ABS version. ABS may have helped in this situation, maybe not, because deep gravel will throw your bike down regardless of ABS, but it would have stopped her from locking up the front on the initial drive into the gravel before she hit the deep stuff.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The guys at the dealer said I should replace my helmet since I technically used it as it was meant to be used by falling on my head with it. It's spent and may no longer have anything left to spend in it.

They told me something interesting though; If I send it in to the manufacturer (Scorpion), it'll get reinspected, and if all is well they'll send it back to me with the OK to use. Food for thought before she tosses hers.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Glad your wife is ok and I hope she’s back to 100% soon.

·
Registered
85 Posts

I assume that the ABS on a 2018 Ninja is combined ABS..meaning that even by pressing on rear break only..front brake will engage also.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm pretty sure the front will rise if I only use the rear brake.

Not sure, but I don't think that it's combined.

The nose definitely dives if I don't apply both brakes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...Food for thought before she tosses hers.
She's not getting rid of her helmet. She barely had a glancing scratch on the side of the helmet. None of her gear took damage beyond a scratch. Even her leather jacket looks nearly untouched after i cleaned it up, and it took the weight of the landing and skid on gravel. Scorpion leather jackets are top notch (much higher quality than their helmets, which feel cheap to me everytime I try one on in a store).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts