Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm inexperienced in this topic so please indulge me if it's obvious. I believe there are a few people here who use dedicated GPS/sat nav devices for navigation. I've only used Waze (on iphone) while driving (a car, I'm still awaiting my ram mount for the bike) and is very useful in navigating the horrendous traffic in the city. I'm wondering what the advantages/benefits are of a dedicated device and if I should get one for the bike. What's the best one (considering price and functionality) for use on a bike? Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm wondering what the advantages/benefits are of a dedicated device and if I should get one for the bike.
If you are in a city and don't drive out someplace without cell signal a Phone may be just fine.. Myself.. I have a lot of dead spots in my area and a GPS is a better option. I have no idea if they have phones with SAT GPS built in when cell service goes out... I assume they do for a cost or the better phones.. dunno.. I use a phone as a phone.. Anyways..

Unfortunately, unless you spend 400.00USD or better for a motorcycle GPS, you might find it hard to get navigation voice to a bluetooth headset..least that is what I find.. I updated an old Garmin for the truck to a garmin 51 with free map updates and bluetooth thinking it would work with Automotive bluetooth for speakers etc.. it does not (for me).. nor does it pair with my cheap helmet bluetooth device.. which I figured it wouldn't after the Automotive experience.. The ones designed for an auto for all I can tell, just use an app on the phone for traffic alerts in real time for the bluetooth..

Then there is the rain/water issue.. using a Automotive GPS means using a case to surround it..which gets kinda big but works.. you can view the map for info but you will not get the voice alerts for turns in the helmet (at least I can't).. but it works out.. with a grand total of say 150.00 (GPS,mount,case) if you buy refurbished.. which to "me" is as good s new.. my "opinion"..

Garmin and tomtom both offer good Motorcycle only GPS which will get that voice navigation to a helmet and also be water proof and glare resistant..

Just my thoughts on this... hope it helps..

All that said.. Google Maps on your phone can get it done with downloading directions before you set out on your trip.. and u get the sound in your helmet... boils down to want.. The GPS to "me" gives a nice layout with your speed and posted speed limit etc etc and a clear good size picture.. so depends on the size of your phone I guess.. or..you can watch it on the good screen of the GPS and still run Google maps along side to get the audio commands in the helmet.. they should sync/time together right? lol, I may have just solved my own problem..:)

How a Phone GPS works: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33637/how-does-gps-in-a-mobile-phone-work-exactly#33707

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for sharing. I sort of thought that a dedicated sat GPS would be most helpful in places where you don't get a cell signal, something I've haven't experienced on the phone (not been to many places outside the city yet). Price has been a deterrence as well. Also, I don't have a bluetooth comms system but figured the volume for turn instructions from the phone would be loud enough to be heard through the helmet -- would that be the case?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Price has been a deterrence as well. Also, I don't have a bluetooth comms system but figured the volume for turn instructions from the phone would be loud enough to be heard through the helmet -- would that be the case?

The price for a top one specific for a Motorcycle is out of my reach for sensibility issue.. to many other things to buy lol.. but "they" say you get what you pay for..smh... For "me"..with OLD ears, I don't hear the navigation once I am moving unless they are in the helmet..especially since the GPS is inside a case.. I use a Automotive GPS (Garmin 51 refurbished) because I am cheap, not a motorcycle GPS.. they might be louder?? someone else should chime in on that..

The bluetooth headsets have come a long way and many will say get sena or cardo system for all the bells and whistle.. I am sure they are QC better.. but you can get away with a cheap 50.00usd bluetooth that will answer calls and play FM radio with little troubles.. the main feature on the expensive ones is distance between rider intercom and the number of riders you may hook up with.. if you just want to hear your phone and play some music, the cheap ones will do just fine... In my "opinion" of course... :grin::nerd::grin:

Obviously not the best setup..but workable..
Garmin 51 lmt-s (USA Model): https://amzn.to/2Ow0RGb
Case: https://amzn.to/2MqtQ17
Ram Stem Mount and short extension : https://amzn.to/2Ouisys
Bluetooth: https://amzn.to/2McmNcL

·
Registered
261 Posts
Google Maps will work just fine with spotty Cell & Data connections. Most modern phones DO have a GPS chip for location data. They use your data link to download map data for the area you are in.

I use an app called CoPilot for my Android phone. It allows me to download the maps for the entire US so I don't need a data connection at all. I don't have a data plan at all on my phone. It also gives me great twisty road navigation when I tell it not to use highways.

Either Google Maps or CoPilot gives great audio into my Sena 10c for Navigation directions plus Music and Phone Calls.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts