Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the bike earlier than I expected (I was initially told maybe late April), so I'm all smiles now. Picked it up at the dealership last Wednesday and rode it home (about 10km) in evening rush hour traffic. I was apprehensive at first thinking it would handle markedly different from my other bike (naked 200cc) but it was really easy to ride, even in stop and go traffic. The mirrors really stick out a lot so I didn't dare filter. I didn't really pay much attention to the gauges because of the traffic but the display seemed a bit muddy to me and hard to read (or maybe it's just my old eyes but the display in my other bike seemed brighter and I don't think there's any way to adjust the brightness of the Ninja's gauges). Some of the items are so small I really have to squint down to see them -- but it's no biggie since I often only look at the tach and speedo when I'm riding. The suspension softened up the many cracks and potholes (the out-of-the-box setup is a notch up from the softest setting). One thing I did notice in stop and go traffic is the heat from the engine enveloping my legs at stops, something I don't notice much on the 200. BTW, the mechanic at the dealer said that it was normal for the temp gauge to settle at two bars from the top. Also, I never heard the fan turn on (maybe it did, I just didn't hear it).

Last Sunday I took the bike up some twisties, a 100 km ride, to break it in. Even with trying to keep the revs down between 4000 and 5000, I found myself going fast without really realizing the speed I was at until I looked down at the speedo. My impressions:

1. Vibrations seem to significantly increase between 4000 and 5000 rpms, particularly felt on the left handlebar and the right foot peg. Before that, they're there but tolerable. The right foot sometimes felt numb because of the vibes on the foot peg. I was also constantly hitting my right heel on the heat shield of the exhaust.

2. The tires seemed stuck well to the road, no matter how bad the road surface was. Bumps and other road irregularities were well taken.

3. Not the most comfortable of seats.

4. I found I had to really work my right foot into the crankcase to stomp on the rear brake lever. The lever on my 200 bike is more angled out. The brakes worked well and I never felt the ABS kicking in.

5. Shifts were smooth but having to focus on keeping the revs down and not familiar with the bike's gearing, sometimes I felt like I was misshifting (is that a word?) or not being in the right gear at times. The engine being really quiet was not helpful in this endeavor.

6. Easy to pass other vehicles, even in the twisties.

7. Being small of stature (about 5'6"), I find that I'm more leaned forward than I'm used to and my wrists, particularly my left wrist, began to hurt while my right hand tended to cramp on the ride home.

Overall, a really nice bike and looking forward getting used to the bike on many more rides.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Maybe some bar end weights would help with the vibration a bit? Ans yea, Ninjas aren't really known for their comfortable seats, once did a day long ride and it broke my butt in before I could break the seat in.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Pleased for you that you have your bike and ahead of time.
Once you start revving the engine a bit more you will find that the vibrations smooth out above 6000RPM.
Sounds like you are just getting used to a different style of bike more than anything.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes that's how my butt felt like as well. Hopefully as its broken in the vibes will smooth out. I've read (about other bikes) that the oil used may also have an effect on vibrations but I don't really know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts