Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out hitting some familiar corners when on one all of a sudden something caused the rear tire to start wobbling. just a few fast oscillations that didn't grow in intensity or cause a problem but it was a bit startling. Like I said I have hit this corner on quite a few occasions and never had this happen before. Could a minor corrugation in the pavement been the cause? I know I didn't hit anything as I would have saw it or felt the tire hit it. I'm not a racer by any stretch so have no real idea of what might have been the cause. I continued the ride with no further issues and checked the tires when I got home and they were fine and at proper pressures.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Difficult to say, it could be an undulation in the pavement that you just randomly hadn't ever hit in the same manner before. Could be some sand or slick stuff got on the road.

Unless something looks loose or wrong on your bike after a thorough visual and hands-on inspection, it may not be a bike issue. But look carefully over the rear wheel and the chain adjusters to see if anything there is loose. I once had the endcap and nuts for one side of the swingarm disappear from my ol' Ninja 650R.

If that's not it, I'd be careful riding and see if it feels like it will repeat. If not, it was probably a random road issue.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. At this point I too feel it was a random thing. I will take you advice and look things over. So, swing arm attachment points, axle nuts and adjusters are the main thing to check then?
I have been gradually working on my chicken strips but don't believe that in this instance I got into slick tread. Funny thing is I didn't feel any slip before the rear took off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
By wobble you mean it was sliding? What's your mileage on the rear tire?
Well I interpreted it as a wobble. Very much like a front wheel shimmy or wobble. I suppose it could have actually been a small slide where the tire was going through a fast repeating grip/release or bouncing slide. Is that what you are getting at? 1k miles on the tire.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is your pre-load adjusted for your weight and ability?
I'll check the preload but as far as I know it should be at the factory setting. I bought the bike with 15 miles showing on the odo. Currently have 1000 miles on it. 170 lbs and getting back into riding after a long absence.

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
I'll check the preload but as far as I know it should be at the factory setting. I bought the bike with 15 miles showing on the odo. Currently have 1000 miles on it. 170 lbs and getting back into riding after a long absence.
That sounds about right. Sometime you might want to play around with the preload and go from #2 to #1 for a ride, then back to #2 for another ride then to #3.
As far as the wobble, to me it sounds like the curve has a smooth spot on the road surface. There is a highway change over from the 405S to the 90W with a perfect banked curve...except there is a small section that is smoother than a cold beer in ****. I have to go the speed limit every single time or my rear wheel searches for somewhere to go. I have tried a line in every part of the width and I would think of going onto the shoulder for the few feet but it is like a pick-a-part of broken body work all over the place.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I went back and hit that curve today. What I found was that with the tighter line there is a series of small ripples in the middle of the corner right about where this all happened. They are closely spaced similar to a rumble strip. I gotta believe that's what caused it. I will have to stay away from that line.
When I get a better feel for the bike I'll give the different adjustments a try.
Thanks to all for the advice.

Tom aka Jackpine

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well I went back and hit that curve today. What I found was that with the tighter line there is a series of small ripples in the middle of the corner right about where this all happened. They are closely spaced similar to a rumble strip. I gotta believe that's what caused it. I will have to stay away from that line.
When I get a better feel for the bike I'll give the different adjustments a try.
Thanks to all for the advice.

Tom aka Jackpine
You should be ripping those like motocross whoops. Wheres your commitment? 🙂

1 - 11 of 11 Posts