Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
So what gas mileage do you all get on your ninja 400? The internet says the 2022 gets between 49, and 50 mpg. I noticed the older models have slightly better mpg. Seems kinda backwards to me.
When I first started riding it it matched what the internet said about mpg. It's different in a better way now. Seems to get almost 70mpg when riding to work at 70 mph between 6000 and 7000 rpm. At least that's what the fuel economy guage says. I dont know if the older ninjas have this, but I really like how the 2022 ninja has a feature that let's you know when you're riding in eco mode. It's been weird watching the fuel consumption improve over time. Hopefully it isn't a glitch.
I did a 120ish mile round trip to my mom's on Mother's Day. I filled my tank before I left and when I got home I still had over half a tank. I efin love this bike!
I am riding a 2018 vintage 400 rig. And my high was 75.8 MPG, and low of 57.1…. The average is 66.0 mpg. Now bear in mind these are ACTUAL computations and not taken off the dashboard avg. I don’t really Hot rod it too much or wind up the revs. I know, no fun eh? I just try to keep the revs in what feels and sounds like a sweet spot, and take what comes my way.

On another stat…..My lowest $$/gal was $1.81. The highest, last week at $4.49. My, how times change. Geeeeeze.
RK

·
Registered
72 Posts
So what gas mileage do you all get on your ninja 400? The internet says the 2022 gets between 49, and 50 mpg. I noticed the older models have slightly better mpg. Seems kinda backwards to me.
When I first started riding it it matched what the internet said about mpg. It's different in a better way now. Seems to get almost 70mpg when riding to work at 70 mph between 6000 and 7000 rpm. At least that's what the fuel economy guage says. I dont know if the older ninjas have this, but I really like how the 2022 ninja has a feature that let's you know when you're riding in eco mode. It's been weird watching the fuel consumption improve over time. Hopefully it isn't a glitch.
I did a 120ish mile round trip to my mom's on Mother's Day. I filled my tank before I left and when I got home I still had over half a tank. I efin love this bike!
About 60-61 on two lane hwy - short hour or two trips going through small towns. I suspect a little better on interstate w/out all the stop and go.

·
Registered
108 Posts
So.....I can weigh in on this I am thinking. I put 160 miles a day on my 2021 N400. I typically ride somewhere between the speed limit and light speed. I dont use the gauge anymore. Its crap. I get 230 miles in per tank on average. I have gotten 245 but that little blinking bar was screaming at me for miles. When I finally got gas....there was nothing to be seen in the tank nor could I hear any sloshing when rocking the bike back and forth listening for....sloshing. I fill my gas tank similar to the way that I fill my movie theater slushy's. If it isnt overflowing then there is still more room. I am pretty sure I could get 250 miles out of her.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Man you are asking to walk.🤣 Hope it’s not raining the day it gets you.
Got 2 legs and time. Not to worried about a walk. Also.....I push it as far as it can for the days im on unfamiliar roads. On my typical daily route there are gas stations about every 10 miles. Knowing the characteristics of the bikes fueling is more significant to me than what a gauge will ever say. I can tell you roughly how many miles remain at each of the gauge intervals. When your on the bike for almost 2 hours on a single stint....you have time to dwell on crap like this. 4 hours round trip. Wish I could get a side hustle while riding this darn much.

·
Registered
2023 Z400 ABS
1 Posts
New Z400 here. According to my calculator and gallon read out from the Shell station pump, my first tank yielded 62 mpg. Most of those miles were puttering about in the foothills, keeping the revs relatively low. My second tank, mostly in town this time, gave 51 mpg.

My previous bike was an Aprilia Tuono V4. During my normal weekend loop, consisting of freeway, back roads, and return ride home, I'd get around 35 mpg, which is actually good for these bikes. But if constantly heavy handed with the throttle, mpg would drop to the mid-20s. I also ran out of gas twice on this bike -- my fault, no the Aprilia's -- with the tank being bone-dry at 124 miles.

Needless to say, I'm very happy with the Z400's gas mileage. A tankful of Shell regular could easily give a 230-mile range, which is great for the mountain roads I like to ride.

·
Registered
108 Posts
230 is pretty spot on. Youll be riding the flashy fuel light for the last 30 or so miles. Also..... 256. thats what I squeezed outta this thing and coasted to the gas station empty and bone dry. I had the wifey following me. I was determined to see how far it will go on my "regular" fill up routine. Not bad for 4 gallons of gas. (bone dry to my fill level was 4.0198273462346198237468291374692183476 gallons) rounded down

·
Registered
819 Posts
I can squeeze 70 mpg out of my N650 on the freeway in the slow lane ... c'mon you 400 guys can do better! =P I've always wanted to do the "ride to empty (dead) and refill to really know" but I've never done it on any of my bikes.
The instant mpg figure given by the instrument cluster is basically meaningless.
Need to do an actual mileage test. Fill tank. Reset trip meter. Do a trip. Fill tank. Calculate mpg based on trip meter and total gas pumped.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I can squeeze 70 mpg out of my N650 on the freeway in the slow lane ... c'mon you 400 guys can do better! =P I've always wanted to do the "ride to empty (dead) and refill to really know" but I've never done it on any of my bikes.
What is this "slow lane" that you speak of? :p

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Great mileage!

Our bikes kinda make up for their tiny gas tanks by their mileage. I keep thinking about another trip to the Rocky Mountain states, and so many places where the route might be over 100 miles between gas stations.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I used to religiously record my weekly mileage and cost to fill my tank. I used to have a spreadsheet dedicated to running costs including petroleum, oil, filters etc. For some reason I just can't really be bothered at the moment.
I know what you mean…it gets a bit tedious…….but, I DO keep the Ninja info…It‘s an app and I just input gals,odo, and price…It figgers it all out and I refer to it every once in a while…. I just do it at the pump before I ride away.. Takes no more than 30 seconds…

RK

21 - 40 of 40 Posts