Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of doing the M4 full exhaust for my Ninja 400, but I've heard it can be an issue with getting coverage from the insurance company. I called up my insurer (Pacific Specialty), and they said there were no restrictions, other than anything that would alter the bike for "high performance racing," which is kinda sorta what the full M4 exhaust is. In addition, they were kind of iffy about it being covered in case of a total loss, because apparently my "accessories" coverage might not cover the cost of the exhaust (even though my final claim offer for my stolen Ninja 300 did include the price of the M4 exhaust on that bike).

Anybody have any experience with exhaust mods and insurance coverage? I just don't want to go through the trouble of buying such an expensive exhaust, and then going to the trouble of learning how to install it, when my insurance company might void my coverage.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm thinking of doing the M4 full exhaust for my Ninja 400, but I've heard it can be an issue with getting coverage from the insurance company. I called up my insurer (Pacific Specialty), and they said there were no restrictions, other than anything that would alter the bike for "high performance racing," which is kinda sorta what the full M4 exhaust is. In addition, they were kind of iffy about it being covered in case of a total loss, because apparently my "accessories" coverage might not cover the cost of the exhaust (even though my final claim offer for my stolen Ninja 300 did include the price of the M4 exhaust on that bike).

Anybody have any experience with exhaust mods and insurance coverage? I just don't want to go through the trouble of buying such an expensive exhaust, and then going to the trouble of learning how to install it, when my insurance company might void my coverage.
a full system is not allowed on the road at all so im thinking it will void your insurance.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wait what? Not having a cat does not invalidate your insurance. If they ever pull that B.S. call a lawyer and your local commission that overlooks insurance companies. That's like saying my headlight is out, so I can't claim on my policy.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I agree with @jonfonts. I have State Farm Insurance and my coverage includes up to $3,000 for aftermarket parts/accessories. As far as I'm aware, there are no restrictions on the type of accessories. With my first bike I removed the cat and installed an aftermarket exhaust and there's no way that it voids the entire insurance policy. That would mean everyone that has a full system bike in the US has invalid insurance which makes no sense. I would call some other insurance carriers and if you are not tied to your current insurance carrier, you may be able to find a better premium with accessory coverage anyway.

I understand the full system exhausts are pricey but if I was in an accident and the bike was totaled, I would be more concerned about other matters. Or are you more concerned about your bike getting stolen and having all your aftermarket accessories covered?

I have less than $300 in accessories/mods currently so not as big of a deal for me.

Reactions: Flash Bantam
1 - 4 of 4 Posts