Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I just removed everything the bike is completely naked. I’m wrapping the entire bike matte white and red and the only thing left on it is the fuel tank anyone know how to take it off. Thanks

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Ive had mine off a few times but I'm just typing this from memory (a poor one at that!) so may not be entirely correct.

There's two 10mm head bolts at the rear of the tank that hold a steel plate that holds the tank down. Remove those and the plate.

Next remove all the lines: There's the main fuel supply line down underneath on the right hand side. It's a plastic fitting with a clip that you need to flick out side ways with a small screw driver before it can be removed. It can be tight to pull off this line for obvious reasons! Suggest spraying the steel piece on the tank that this connector slides on to with silicon spray before re-fitting.
There's an electrical connection for the fuel pump near the rear of the tank to be unclipped and there are two rubber breather hoses on the LH side of the tank near the front . They are usually hidden behind the fairing panel but as you have the bike stripped they should be obvious.

Once you have all those removed/unclipped plus any others I've forgotten (!) you then need to get a good grasp on the tank on both sides and slide it off the two locating rubbers on the frame at the front of the tank. Again, these will be tight and I would suggest putting rubber grease on them before you try and refit the tank. Its a 45 degree pull towards the rear of the bike, dont try and lift the tank straight up.

I think that's it, let me know how you get on and if I forgot anything.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive had mine off a few times but I'm just typing this from memory (a poor one at that!) so may not be entirely correct.

There's two 10mm head bolts at the rear of the tank that hold a steel plate that holds the tank down. Remove those and the plate.

Next remove all the lines: There's the main fuel supply line down underneath on the right hand side. It's a plastic fitting with a clip that you need to flick out side ways with a small screw driver before it can be removed. It can be tight to pull off this line for obvious reasons! Suggest spraying the steel piece on the tank that this connector slides on to with silicon spray before re-fitting.
There's an electrical connection for the fuel pump near the rear of the tank to be unclipped and there are two rubber breather hoses on the LH side of the tank near the front . They are usually hidden behind the fairing panel but as you have the bike stripped they should be obvious.

Once you have all those removed/unclipped plus any others I've forgotten (!) you then need to get a good grasp on the tank on both sides and slide it off the two locating rubbers on the frame at the front of the tank. Again, these will be tight and I would suggest putting rubber grease on them before you try and refit the tank. Its a 45 degree pull towards the rear of the bike, dont try and lift the tank straight up.

Thanks will try! Do you know how to remove the front of the bike like the entire plastic area by the headlights so I can wrap that piece white

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

Hawttt! Thanks for this! I've been looking in my manual and I saw that it suggests removing the fuel out of the tank prior to removal. I'm glad I don't have to do all of that. I'm trying to replace my air filter cleaner today. Hopefully, I'll have pics for yall a bit later. THANK YOU!

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Hawttt! Thanks for this! I've been looking in my manual and I saw that it suggests removing the fuel out of the tank prior to removal. I'm glad I don't have to do all of that. I'm trying to replace my air filter cleaner today. Hopefully, I'll have pics for yall a bit later. THANK YOU!
Here ya go...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts