Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Started to pay attention to my gas mileage after the 600 mile service break-in. According to my dash read out I'm getting around 59 miles to the gallon in USA figures. My riding is split between city and backroads with a little highway runs.

Overall I'm happy with those figures.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Since beginning of ownership, my gas mileage is:

4.08L/100km
24.5km/L
57.7mpg (US)
69.2mpg (UK)

Soft Break-in, at 3200km total on the odo.

Riding condition: Commuting and loads of traffic, rarely at high RPM (so below 6k) except launching and overtaking. Will spend 30 mins per day stuck in crawling traffic.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Since beginning of ownership, my gas mileage is:

4.08L/100km
24.5km/L
57.7mpg (US)
69.2mpg (UK)

Soft Break-in, at 3200km total on the odo.

Riding condition: Commuting and loads of traffic, rarely at high RPM (so below 6k) except launching and overtaking. Will spend 30 mins per day stuck in crawling traffic.
That's pretty similar to mine. I do mostly highway riding at about 110kmph... I'm gonna change the rear sprocket so as to drop the rpm a little to hopefully improve the fuel mileage. I've done about 1300km on mine so far.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
That's pretty similar to mine. I do mostly highway riding at about 110kmph... I'm gonna change the rear sprocket so as to drop the rpm a little to hopefully improve the fuel mileage. I've done about 1300km on mine so far.
I've been keeping a check on my fuel milage on this trip Ben. With the 38T rear sprocket Im getting 27 - 28.5 km/l travelling around 110km/h and giving it stick on the winding sections of road. Not carrying much luggage.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've been keeping a check on my fuel milage on this trip Ben. With the 38T rear sprocket Im getting 27 - 28.5 km/l travelling around 110km/h and giving it stick on the winding sections of road. Not carrying much luggage.
Yeah that sounds great! That's pretty much what I'm looking for in mine as I do about 30km of Highway riding to work in Rockhampton each day. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I really wonder what makes my bike consume more than you guys. I soft broke it as well and I see someone else is getting a 25km/l which is reasonable. Meanwhile my continues to go down, already 21.5 probably will be 20km/l. Like I said im 95kg~ with all my gear. Comparing to the same break in.. can this 20-30kg extra make THAT much of a diffrence?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I really wonder what makes my bike consume more than you guys. I soft broke it as well and I see someone else is getting a 25km/l which is reasonable. Meanwhile my continues to go down, already 21.5 probably will be 20km/l. Like I said im 95kg~ with all my gear. Comparing to the same break in.. can this 20-30kg extra make THAT much of a diffrence?
I'm 105kg and 6'1. So I doubt the weight has much to do with it that much. Also with my break in my dealer basically said ride it normally from new and avoid hitting redline... He said the rubbish about keeping it under 4k is ridiculous. Basically I'm riding mine the same as the day I bought it...

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
What is the quality of your fuel like in Israel? Years ago I did some riding through some Middle East countries and I remember the fuel was appalling and my bike smoked a lot and didn't run so well.

I doubt whether your break in method has that greater bearing on your fuel consumption figures for the rest of the bikes life.
Maybe you should have nailed it instead Ha ha :devil:

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm 105kg and 6'1. So I doubt the weight has much to do with it that much. Also with my break in my dealer basically said ride it normally from new and avoid hitting redline... He said the rubbish about keeping it under 4k is ridiculous. Basically I'm riding mine the same as the day I bought it...

Hmm.. I did go by the 4k and 6k rule like 80% out of the 1600km.. so maybe that's the reason. Breaking it like baby by all means now it's consumes alot of milk when I ride it normally

What is the quality of your fuel like in Israel? Years ago I did some riding through some Middle East countries and I remember the fuel was appalling and my bike smoked a lot and didn't run so well.

I doubt whether your break in method has that greater bearing on your fuel consumption figures for the rest of the bikes life.
Maybe you should have nailed it instead Ha ha :devil:
It's 95 and 98 here. In the beginnning i put 95 but in the last few refuels I put 98. Can't tell you anything about the quality itself, but i'll be suprised if it isn't garbage like life here in general hehe... :crying:
The thing is i really babied it during the break in like I said, went by the rule of 4k and 6k most of the time. Im no expert but if the engine "knows" what easy is from his birth, so when you / I / everyone else ride it normally it will consume more fuel and oil unlike an engine where someone rode it hard from the start.

Also, it's hot as **** here almost all year around.. 30-40c.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I get about 51 us mpg. Which is close to what you’re getting. However it’s in how I ride. I’m 7k on the highway for 30 mins a day. This nets me around 160-170 us miles per tank. When I was breaking it in and never went to redline and kept it below 6k I got up to 62 mpg and 197 miles to a tank. It’s all in how you ride it. I’m 5’11” 230 lbs fully geared up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Man my bike is indicating 55mpg at 600 miles and I've been trailering the **** thing to the canyons for break in...I must be babying it (noooooo!)

I can never decide on the "racer" versus suggested break in procedure, so I try to kind of split the difference. I've been using lots of full throttle and load on the way up the canyons and of course lots of engine braking and downshifting on the way down, but I decided to stick to cutting throttle/shifting below 8k RPM...occasional run up to 10k. No lugging ever, no super short trips without loading or sufficient warming.

Only thing I'll add is that before I could load the bike up in my van at the dealership, a service member actually rode my bike down the block to fill it up with fuel at a gas station (half full :/) while I was filling out the paperwork...so if I was a real stickler about maximizing break in I'd be pretty pissed about that ride seeing as it was the opposite of what I would consider optimal cylinder-mating procedure, and the first 10 miles possibly being the most important.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi all,

Anyone got a idea of how much fuel is left when the reserve comes around, I have looked in the manual, but it only seems to tell me the total capacity is 14ltrs...

Got my first 260 kms on so far, and the gauge is saying I'm doing 25.6 per ltr... From what Ive read on here this seems about average...

So still on the first dealer supplied tank fill, and thinking reserve is close...

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Hi all,

Anyone got a idea of how much fuel is left when the reserve comes around, I have looked in the manual, but it only seems to tell me the total capacity is 14ltrs...

Got my first 260 kms on so far, and the gauge is saying I'm doing 25.6 per ltr... From what Ive read on here this seems about average...

So still on the first dealer supplied tank fill, and thinking reserve is close...
I never ride for more than 50 or 60 km once the light starts flashing. It would be good to run it dry and find out but I've heard that it's not good for the fuel pumps to run dry.

Only 260km still? It's summer time, you need to get out there on it more. :biggrin:

·
Registered
171 Posts
I never ride for more than 50 or 60 km once the light starts flashing. It would be good to run it dry and find out but I've heard that it's not good for the fuel pumps to run dry.

Only 260km still? It's summer time, you need to get out there on it more. :biggrin:
Hi Kiwi,

Haha yea true, but Ive been putting a lot of ks on my S1000, an can only ride one at a time :smile_big:

Think I shall put a couple ltrs of fuel in a backpack an see where I get to on the tank I have, my expectation is a reserve of about 3 ltrs, which would give me about 75 kms, so we shall see...

You obviously survived your big weekend, looking forward to hearing how you went, and how the ecu/dyno tune went :grin:

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Hi Kiwi,

Haha yea true, but Ive been putting a lot of ks on my S1000, an can only ride one at a time :smile_big:

Think I shall put a couple ltrs of fuel in a backpack an see where I get to on the tank I have, my expectation is a reserve of about 3 ltrs, which would give me about 75 kms, so we shall see...

You obviously survived your big weekend, looking forward to hearing how you went, and how the ecu/dyno tune went :grin:
Yeah I'll update my racing thread tonite, there were a lot of crashes and red flagged races but I luckily wasn't a part of it.

Heading down to Ashvegas this morning to see the tuner guy. From the coms we've had over the wkd it sounds like no progress has been made. (Sigh)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm logging my mpg on Fuelly. After 4 fuel ups and 519 miles, my average mpg is 56.4. That's about 8 mpg less than my average on my 2013 CBR250R.

Reactions: Flash Bantam

·
Registered
171 Posts
I got to the end of my first tank of fuel, it was filled by the dealer to just above the fill tube bottom plate, so I did 299 kms before the dash started flashing, and it has shown 25.7 kpl consistently through that time, so I put a litre of fuel in my backpack, and went off for a ride, at 360 kms I looked in the tank, torch, and rocked the bike back an forth, I could just hear a faint movement, an Im pretty sure it wasn't going to go much further, an I guess with a listed 14ltrs of fuel capacity that equates with my gauge readings...
Figure this will change as it gets more run in, and I ride it harder...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Probably not too many Hyper-milers buying the N400 I'd imagine, they seem to go for stuff like the CBR250 etc.

But I thought since this is a new model it might be of interest to hear what sort of figures owners are getting if they are taking note of it.

On my recent 1200 mile Easter ride I averaged 28.5 km/l or 67 MPG US.

* Important to note that there are US gallons and imperial gallons as used in the UK.
Someone said you had a sprocket change. What ratio did you go with and can you break it down to how many teeth that is?

81 - 100 of 124 Posts