Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably not too many Hyper-milers buying the N400 I'd imagine, they seem to go for stuff like the CBR250 etc.

But I thought since this is a new model it might be of interest to hear what sort of figures owners are getting if they are taking note of it.

On my recent 1200 mile Easter ride I averaged 28.5 km/l or 67 MPG US.

* Important to note that there are US gallons and imperial gallons as used in the UK.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I ride mostly around 60kmph areas so thats 3rd and 4th gear, depending on how I feel, usally for 60kph Ill ride in 4th until she gets a little warmer then Ill be more in 3rd

·
Registered
105 Posts
Oh. Well.. I rode at average of 100kmph on highways, and sometimes let loose until 110-120kmph when I feel like it, but not too frequently. Seems there's not much diff riding in cities nor highways.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just drove 270 miles (434km) to get my 600 mile service.....because I live in the sticks. 98% highway and got 81mpg (34km/l) . my indicated average is 53.4 mpg though. My daily commute is short
That's impressive, what speed were you cruising at mostly? I could get that on my CBR300 but not this bike.

·
Registered
55 Posts
By-the-book break-in really helps with better-than-advertised MPG in the long-run I've found. Many bikes have a sweet-spot RPM as well. I'm going to say this bike is probably around 6k. You'll hear a harmonic in the engine hum that will slow down to a constant sine-wave tone "Mrrrarrrrrrlllllllllllllrrrrrraaaaaarrrrrrrlllllllrrrrrrraaaaarrrrrllll". Hard to describe but it starts fast, then when it slows down to the longest sine-wave tone, going any faster speeds-up the tone and you're out of "the zone". All bikes have this. Experienced bike owners will know. Over the decades, all my bikes had a sweet-spot. Ninja-250 was around 6500 RPM. Honda Superhawk 996 was around 5900 RPM.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Most of the time I was between 60-70mph, about half the drive was flat wheat fields, the other half was pretty twisty. I was driving pretty mellow. but the results surprised me....I'm going to be taking a 600 mile drive through bc in a month or two, I will keep my results posted.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts