Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that if I hold the front brake and push down hard on the forks, I feel a small click. Checked the caliper and it seems solid, but I found something with the brake rotor that's worrying me.

The front rotor on our bikes is made of two pieces, an inner disc that's mounted to the fork, and an outer disc that's fastened to the inner disc via some odd rivets (?). If I pull on the outer disc, I can shift its position about 1-2 mm relative to the inner disc. My guess is that this is the so source of the clicking.

Is this unique to my bike? Normal? Is it a problem? My coworker also has a 400 and his rotor doesn't exhibit the issue.

Thanks ✌

·
Registered
54 Posts
The 400 has what’s called semi-floating discs up front. I believe this is what your sensing and if so is normal. Somebody else with more knowledge will chime in. All I can tell ya.

·
Registered
144 Posts
So when I'm riding and hit the front brakes I hear a click sound, but it's coming from the upper fairing. I've heard there's a sensor up front that makes a clicking noise.. I think it might be the tip over sensor? I haven't confirmed it but it's never bothered me. What Goldsmith said is true, it's semi-floating rotors that allow the rotors to center inside the caliper when you're braking. Most all bikes have them, Harley's are about the only bikes that don't across the lineup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts