Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

161 - 180 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
First of all, I'm glad you're OK - bike damage can be repaired or replaced, human damage takes a lot more!

Secondly, the OEM sliders are a bad design, IMHO. You really want sliders that offer more surface area and mount to more than what is effectively a single bolt. Look at something like the T-Rex that mounts to two of the engine mount bolts and has a crossmember that connects the two sides together for a third mounting point to resist twisting (exactly what happened in your case.)

Thirdly, frame sliders won't protect everything in a drop at speed. If you've got inertia going, the top part of the bike is free to pivot through the fulcrum point of the slider and you're now scraping bars, levers, and fairing. At a stop or a low speed drop, it lands on the slider and the weight of the bike keeps it balanced on the slider without going "over the top", thus protecting all of that stuff. The good news is, without that slider, you likely would've had smashed up engine case covers, so it likely did protect you somewhat.

Sucks this happened, but get it fixed and don't let this mess with your confidence - learn from your mistakes and get back on it!

Reactions: Kiwi Rider

·
Registered
302 Posts
I agree with the direct. No cuts may save time in the short term but may be more $$$ in the long run.

Buy the Woodcraft RACE (not Street) frame sliders and cut the fairings. I TRUST Woodcraft. I have Woodcraft clip-ons and case guards on my GSX-R now. Good stuff. I have had Woodcraft frame sliders on my previous GSX-Rs but now have YOYODYNE due to the slider being replaceable with a tie-down for the trailer. Just EZ-er for me to deal with trailering to and from the track.

The Woodcraft RACE frame sliders are Cheaper then the No-Cut Woodcraft frame sliders al$o.

·
Registered
485 Posts
First of all, I'm glad you're OK - bike damage can be repaired or replaced, human damage takes a lot more!

Secondly, the OEM sliders are a bad design, IMHO. You really want sliders that offer more surface area and mount to more than what is effectively a single bolt. Look at something like the T-Rex that mounts to two of the engine mount bolts and has a crossmember that connects the two sides together for a third mounting point to resist twisting (exactly what happened in your case.)

Thirdly, frame sliders won't protect everything in a drop at speed. If you've got inertia going, the top part of the bike is free to pivot through the fulcrum point of the slider and you're now scraping bars, levers, and fairing. At a stop or a low speed drop, it lands on the slider and the weight of the bike keeps it balanced on the slider without going "over the top", thus protecting all of that stuff. The good news is, without that slider, you likely would've had smashed up engine case covers, so it likely did protect you somewhat.

Sucks this happened, but get it fixed and don't let this mess with your confidence - learn from your mistakes and get back on it!
I agree with the direct. No cuts may save time in the short term but may be more $$$ in the long run.

Buy the Woodcraft RACE (not Street) frame sliders and cut the fairings. I TRUST Woodcraft. I have Woodcraft clip-ons and case guards on my GSX-R now. Good stuff. I have had Woodcraft frame sliders on my previous GSX-Rs but now have YOYODYNE due to the slider being replaceable with a tie-down for the trailer. Just EZ-er for me to for me to deal with trailering to and from the track.

The Woodcraft RACE frame sliders are Cheaper then the No-Cut Woodcraft frame sliders al$o.

I understand what you guys are saying. You are right, it's a signle bolt design and you cant except much from it. However, considering that the bike was dropped in a 20ish speed (kmh)...and this happened, what would've happened if it was double the speed? or triple that? You saw what it caused to the outer tube.
No one can really say if it did protect my engine covers or not... but I learned my lesson.

From now on it's engine case covers, spools and front axle sliders for me.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I understand what you guys are saying. You are right, it's a signle bolt design and you cant except much from it. However, considering that the bike was dropped in a 20ish speed (kmh)...and this happened, what would've happened if it was double the speed? or triple that? You saw what it caused to the outer tube.
No one can really say if it did protect my engine covers or not... but I learned my lesson.

From now on it's engine case covers, spools and front axle sliders for me.
There's a school of thought that frame sliders can actually cause more damage in a high speed crash, especially if it catches on the ground and forces the bike to flip over.

You can tell if your frame sliders would protect engine covers or not by simply laying your bike down on its side (put some cardboard or other soft material down first) and see where the contact points are without any protective accessories installed. Now try it with some accessories and see the difference.

In any event, case covers, spools, and axle sliders are great ideas. I actually have all of that along with the T-Rex sliders. For the most part, my expensive plastic is protected in a drop at slow speed or standstill. I fully expect more serious damage at road speeds though.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I purchased the Shogun Frame Sliders (no cut). I looked at those instructions and just was like well it might take me 2 hours for each side with all the pictures and step by steps. So I feel a little better now looking at this thinking it won't take a billion hours.
i bought the same too, albeit the carbon finish ones (they look dope) -- https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shogun-frame-sliders-kawasaki-ninja-400-2018

Yes I did everything myself, The fairing removal process is very simple.
True that. all one needs is a 5mm and 4 mm hex and a flat screwdriver.
i have done it once but was a bit confused about the frame slider installation. might bug you with a question or 2 if it comes to that.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but just to add another perspective to this DIY, I have the T-Rex sliders and the installation video is pretty useful regardless of which brand you go with:

As for keeping bolts organized, I always hand-thread them back to where they came from so I keep them exactly where they belong! Yeah, it's additional work, but beats losing stuff or wondering where extra ones were supposed to go.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I love STG youtube videos! Good Stuff! Because of them I plan on getting the Woodcraft no-cut frame sliders.
i was inclined towards the woodcraft ones too. somehow i feel that their puck sits snug with the fairings and doesnt protrude out enough to protect in case of a fall (but thats just me i guess).
Did you check the Shogun carbon ones?

Reactions: Elvis44

·
Registered
143 Posts
i was inclined towards the woodcraft ones too. somehow i feel that their puck sits snug with the fairings and doesnt protrude out enough to protect in case of a fall (but thats just me i guess).
I was also looking into the Woodcraft sliders but read through this thread - https://www.ninja400riders.com/forum/163-ninja-400-complaints-issues-problems/3045-woodcraft-frame-sliders-stuck.html. Might still get it though, as Woodcraft has been my trusted go to brand for parts (clip ons and rearsets)

The Shogun looks very similar. Had them on my other bikes without any issues.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've noticed that also, they don't look like they stick out far enough to protect the bike, I will check out the shogun and see how they stick out.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've noticed that also, they don't look like they stick out far enough to protect the bike, I will check out the shogun and see how they stick out.
give it a shot. mine are arriving today (stoked).
the carbon ones were not in stock for a long time (STG or revzilla or even at Ebay infact). i just jumped on them right away once they were back in stock. Installing them over the weekend ("if you cant ride the bike, modify it" my motto).:devil:

Reactions: Elvis44

·
Registered
64 Posts
Frame sliders- Should I return the Shogun for TST?

I was all set to install the Shoguns today and was watching TST's video as a reference. I like the fact that their bracket has a two point connection like most cut frame sliders and then in a reply to being too short they mentioned this:
"Our crash protection components are designed based on experience gathered crashing many bikes, in different environments, and in many modes of crash. If they stick out too far they catch, and send the bike flipping in a severe enough crash where the slider encounters a soft surface, like dirt, and is able to dig in. The longer protrusion of taller kits also has a bigger moment arm that will transfer more stress to the mounting points. These sliders are meant to protect the most vital and expensive components of the bike, and they are designed specifically for that purpose. Have you ever seen really long frame sliders on a race bike? There is a good reason why the answer is no."
So my question is, how do you like the Shoguns? Should I worry about digging and frame issues with the one point connection design (like OEM uses) or catching or anything like that? These guys are more expensive but from the engineering I can see why but my question to you is should I just roll with the Showguns or would I be happier down the road with the results if I crashed with the TST's?

Jesse

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yeah, I see why race/track bikes don't run frame sliders. Better to sacrifice fairings and smaller components instead of bent/broken chassis from sliders that can dig and flip the bike.

On the other hand, tall sliders can reduce the damage incurred at slow speed or static drops. Not really a clear cut solution, just have to go with the bike's application.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah, I see why race/track bikes don't run frame sliders. Better to sacrifice fairings and smaller components instead of bent/broken chassis from sliders that can dig and flip the bike.

On the other hand, tall sliders can reduce the damage incurred at slow speed or static drops. Not really a clear cut solution, just have to go with the bike's application.
Very good points. I will probably never be taking her to a track or racing. Just want to protect from the occasional down or tip over. Plus I really do not want to spend much more on it even though the look is nicer because If I do damage the frame then it would be an insurance loss anyway right?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Think about it this way. Don't view frame sliders as equipment protection in a high speed crash. View it as body protection, keeping you from being pinned, with the additional low speed/tip over protection benefits.

I get all the concerns of digging in and all that but I'd rather sacrifice my bike. Plus, tbh, unless it's a one of a kind, I'd rather my bike be totalled to get a better payout from insurance.

161 - 180 of 201 Posts