141 - 160 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
T-Rex sliders on the way!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks for this info. I was wondering if you could do me a favor and look up what the torque value/s is/are for the fairing bolts. They're plastic plastic parts so it shouldn't be a lot but since I got the bike, the rear fairings along the pillion seat (both sides) squeak when I put a little pressure on them so I inspected all the fairing bolts and found them to be (quite) loose. I would like to tighten them to spec but the service manual is not (yet) available in our part of the world. Would really appreciate it if you could provide this info. Thanks again.
I just make the good and tight, but here is what the service manual says

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey guys if someone opens up the fairings to install sliders, please let me know where the four (two each side) rubber spacers are located in your machine.
One place I found (circled red picture #2) but I'm missing one on each side.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Hey guys if someone opens up the fairings to install sliders, please let me know where the four (two each side) rubber spacers are located in your machine.
One place I found (circled red picture #2) but I'm missing one on each side.
They have fallen off the back of the rubbery panel that you have removed in your photo.
One of mine did the same, the glue they use is rubbish obviously. If you turn the panel over you will probably see the mark where it was stuck on previously.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Trex sliders come in yesterday and going to install them this morning.

Do any one you guys have spools installed on your bike yet?

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I finally put my Woodcraft sliders on! They look better than expected, and were easier to install than I thought. The instructions were concise and very easy to follow. I took a ton of pictures detailing the steps, but they seem unneccessary compared with the video below.

Personally I liked these more than the Shogun because my eyes aren't drawn to them when looking at the bike's profile so I spent the extra scratch.

Forgot to mention I went with the Driven axle sliders, super simple to install as well. Very happy that they are pretty close to the same shape making it look just a little more how I wanted.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just ordered a set of the Woodcraft sliders as well (no cut). Hoping they'll arrive before the weekend. Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
656 Posts
I finally put my Woodcraft sliders on! They look better than expected, and were easier to install than I thought. The instructions were concise and very easy to follow. I took a ton of pictures detailing the steps, but they seem unneccessary compared with the video below.

Bodywork removal

Personally I liked these more than the Shogun because my eyes aren't drawn to them when looking at the bike's profile so I spent the extra scratch.

Forgot to mention I went with the Driven axle sliders, super simple to install as well. Very happy that they are pretty close to the same shape making it look just a little more how I wanted.
Dude you rock...... I love your 550 Four..! restore that puppy.
I had the CB 750 Four in high school, It should be illegal to let teenagers ride bikes that can go 140 Mph... Cause they will, just to see :devil:

I'm getting the Combo Spool sliders.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Dude you rock...... I love your 550 Four..! restore that puppy.
I had the CB 750 Four in high school, It should be illegal to let teenagers ride bikes that can go 140 Mph... Cause they will, just to see :devil:
Now that I have the Ninja I fully intend on making the 550 a pretty mean track bike for the vintage track days here in SoCal. Full fairing, oil cooler, upgraded cam, race carbs, high compression kit, everything soda blasted and polished up nice. Doing my due diligence before making a call on a GSXR front end swap and mono shock rear to help flick it into corners and make it less of a high side death trap.

I'm getting the Combo Spool sliders.
Be sure to give us an update on how you like them and if they end up protecting your bike. I went back and forth a lot over the Driven set vs the Woodcraft two in one set. I figured the Driven set would provide more protection and be less likely to bend or damage the spool mounts in the event of a crash. Totally plan on getting spools, and am shopping craigslist for some pitbull stands.

Tip of the day: Take a look at your local craigslist if you are looking for stands. I found a set of Pit-Bull stands front and rear in good condition for $150 about 6 months back. Now if only I can find that same deal again.:grin:

·
Registered
29 Posts
They have fallen off the back of the rubbery panel that you have removed in your photo.
One of mine did the same, the glue they use is rubbish obviously. If you turn the panel over you will probably see the mark where it was stuck on previously.
Hi Kiwi,
Just wondering what to do if the spacers do fall off (glue back?).. and how significant/bad is it if they were not put back on?
thx

·
Registered
199 Posts
The Woodcraft sliders are excellent quality (wouldn't expect anything less from them honestly).

Their solution of using the existing hole in the frame engine mount tube for indexing the brackets position is brilliant and completely eliminates the problems some had installing / adjusting the Shogun sliders.

Highly recommended.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
unfortunately I had a lowside at around 30kmh with OEM sliders. While they did protect engine cover, side top and low fairings (but not rear ones), they did bend and also slightly bend the mounting hole. I am quite disappointed :( I have been thinking of replacing them with T-Rex ones.

Also does anyone know where I could order replacement light reflector for licence plate holder (last pic). Lost it somewhere :s

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hello,
unfortunately I had a lowside at around 30kmh with OEM sliders. While they did protect engine cover, side top and low fairings (but not rear ones), they did bend and also slightly bend the mounting hole. I am quite disappointed :( I have been thinking of replacing them with T-Rex ones.

Also does anyone know where I could order replacement light reflector for licence plate holder (last pic). Lost it somewhere :s

So... Should I put the OEM sliders on my bike or not?

I have them sitting in a box for like 2 months now.. lmao
did you torque all the bolts accordingly while you installed them?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Frame sliders are just that, frame sliders. They're meant to help protect the frame from getting bent up and reduce damage everywhere, not to save everything. They sacrifice the mount point to absorb energy as well as the puck/slider to avoid sending all of it to the frame. Almost all sliders with a single bolt will bend, it's the nature of the beast, you're dropping a 300+ lb machine typically with you low siding off of it so it may be more, it's not hard to bend a bolt especially with leverage. The best frame sliders are multi bolt designs and are shorter as to not catch the road.

A lot of times sliders will dig into a rut, grass, etc and cause your bike to tumble at higher speeds making higher speed crashes more vulnerable to significant damage. Although any high speed crash on a bike is likely to destroy it enough to total it unless at the track. There's nothing wrong with the OEM sliders, they do what they're expected to do with a single bolt design.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Just wanted to share my piece of advice with others.

I bought Kawi's OEM sliders, Paid for them a little more than 450$ with all the taxes and shipping in my country.

Installed them myself according to torque specs.

A month ago, in early November, while going down a mountian top, I took a turn wrong. It was a very sharp left decline turn with a shape in the road angle itself. While nearing the end of the turn, I went a little bit too much left with the handlebars instead of right and dropped it ('low side' i think it's called) on a speed between 18-26 kmh.

I cant say what it did protect but I can show you what it did not protect.

Damage to the bike was scratched off fairing, VERY bent shift lever, Clutch lever & handlebar weight were scratched.

And.... a torn tube frame.

In the pictures you can see all the damage, plus 1 tube frame trashed (left side), and one tube frame with no damage (right side).
I took off the right side frame slider today so I took a pic for refrence.

450USD.... ugh....

I do want to say that PUIG's spools did a very good job absoring the hit! The spool stayed in place and the bolt was very little bent. Managed to take it out with no problem.

Attachments

141 - 160 of 201 Posts