Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

181 - 200 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
You did it yourself? all the fairing removal and stuff?

I have mine for 2 weeks now sitting in the box waiting to be installed..I dont want to mess with the bike so I just keep it for the break in service at the dealership for them to install.

Thanks for the pictures, will use them to show to the mechanics there.
It is very easy to install frame sliders. I did mine last week and used this video to help with body removal.

·
Registered
137 Posts
give it a shot. mine are arriving today (stoked).
the carbon ones were not in stock for a long time (STG or revzilla or even at Ebay infact). i just jumped on them right away once they were back in stock. Installing them over the weekend ("if you cant ride the bike, modify it" my motto).:devil:
I ended up going with the Shogun No Cut Carbon, they look really good!

·
Registered
521 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the Shogun Carbon Sliders and love them. They look great, you can replace the end caps if the they damaged. Install was very easy just make sure when you have the slider in place have someone hold it in place or use something to hold it while you torque the bolt down. The area you have where the slider comes through the cowling is not much, if the slider moves and you torque it down you may have to undo it and try again to get the cowling back on.

·
Registered
439 Posts
i wanted the TST but i saw the T-Rex frame sliders, they look better and also has 2 points! and they are cheaper, ill be going with the T-rex
I'm very happy with my T-rex sliders and case covers. No regrets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Frame sliders and engine bolt alignment issue

Hey everyone,

I tried to install my Shogun no-cut frame sliders earlier and ran into an issue with the left side install (clutch lever side). Once I removed the engine bolt that was to be replaced I found out that the new slider bolt wouldn't go in. I can see that the bolt hole on the frame is slightly misaligned with the one on the engine. I can get the original engine bolt back in and tightened (not 100% straight but not bad) since it's much shorter than the slider bolt. The other side was fine and only one bolt was removed at a time.

A few questions:

1.) If I decide to just leave the stock bolts in and forget about the sliders will it hurt anything if that left side one is as I described above?

2.) Would it be possible to re-align the holes if I use a floor jack to lift the engine a bit from the bottom while I put the bolts back in?

I'm hesitant to attempt the floor jack method (which I read about on other motorcycle forums) because I don't want to loosen up all the engine bolts. I have a feeling I may just make it worse. Since the other side's bolt was in place the whole time I'm guessing this may be a slight factory alignment issue.

Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
345 Posts
1) If you put the stock bolts back, there is no issue. You just will be back to standard setup.

2) I had a little bit of this when I put in my slider set as well. I was able to "wiggle" it in. If you can put some pressure on the engine or frame to get it aligned and put the shogun bolt in, that would be ideal. I don't see how you can do any damage by aligned the bolt holes. Once it is in, it should hold everything in place.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I agree with Invenio. All I would add is a word of caution when you attempt to start to tighten the bolt and the slider. If possible try to start threading the bolt with finger tips so you can feel the threads mesh, then use a socket/wrench. My hands don't work so well anymore, and I loose too much feeling when starting bolts, etc., with a socket or other extensions, where I can usually feel my way if holding them directly. Just a thought.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If possible try to start threading the bolt with finger tips so you can feel the threads mesh, then use a socket/wrench. My hands don't work so well anymore, and I loose too much feeling when starting bolts, etc., with a socket or other extensions, where I can usually feel my way if holding them directly. Just a thought.
i second this too. finger tightening initially gives a feel of whether the bolt is sitting in fine or not. i have messed up the threads on a bolt once when i directly went all hulk with the wrench directly. :grin:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Got the sliders and the covers. I’m pretty happy with them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone gotten the T-Rex sliders ?, I installed mine about a week ago and was very easy to do Imo they seem a lot better product than The Kawasaki branded or the others that are out there
it looks great! do you need to cut the fairing to install it?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Has anyone gotten the T-Rex sliders ?, I installed mine about a week ago and was very easy to do Imo they seem a lot better product than The Kawasaki branded or the others that are out there
the best part with these is the 2 point mount that they come with. the sliders will not rotate when it hits the ground there by protecting the engine mount.
i have heard good things about this as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I decided to install frame sliders on my new Ninja with the idea of keeping the fairings shiny, mainly for those low speed goof up situations (knowing that they are in fact more of a risk whenever the bike slides off asphalt, and they dig into dirt, and mangle the frame mounting points leaving an eye watering mess).

Originally I planned on getting the Woodcraft cut sliders and chopping the fairings, as, frankly, I have very low regard of single mounting point, cantilevered sliders. In all cases I've seen crash damage, the cantilevered slider has folded and everything looks an even bigger mess than without. The single mounting point is a liability as seen with the chewed up mounts earlier in this thread, post # 157 and 160. The Woodcraft and R&G cut sliders are directly inline with the mount and certainly superior, but looking closer they aren't protruding enough to really protect fairings, just the frame as they were intended. For racing application you want minimal protrusion as you can guarantee you'll end up in the dirt at some point or another if you race long enough at the pointy end.

So further research led me to the T-rex sliders with the 3-point mounting (really 2 point). The other only real option was the TST sliders, but I wanted something that extended further from the fairing and it's hard to see how the stock regulator fits behind the TST left hand slider bracket without unpackaging and relocated it with their relocation kit (only +$5 though).
I also liked the idea of the 3 point t-rex mount (but the third point is really inconsequential as it turns out).

I wanted the black aluminium insert but they were sold out, so went for green. As you can see the colour doesn't match, but I'm not bothered and am still happy enough with the look.
The brackets, spacers, bolts and sliders themselves are all chunky and feel good. All thick aluminium except the steel bolts. The slider mounting bar, extending right angles to the mounting plate, is decently hefty and seems well attached to the bracket. The third mounting point, the rod that extends between the brackets, is basically pointless imo, as it doesn't sit flush against the brackets as seen in the pics.
The install was basically straight forward. One issue was the bracket mounting bolts being 8mm hex head. I wanted to torque them properly so had to make a trip to Bunnings to get a 1/4" drive to 8mm hex so I could use my torque wrench. I also too precautions with a car scissor jack supporting the motor while removing the engine mount bolts. I had no issues however. Not sure if the jack was actually doing anything.

Anyway, I feel happy about the tough feel of the t-rex sliders. If the bike ever tears into the dirt, and these things catch on something, the risk of multi point frame carnage is real. However if I forget to put the kickstand down properly (dropped my mc22 doing that :censored: , or have an asphalt slide, these things look like they'll do the job.

*edit, just realised I should put some washers at the ends of that rod that spans between the brackets. Don't know why I didn't do that at the time. That'll space it properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The T-Rex sliders look great and sturdy, but unfortunately I live in eastern EU and shipping to my country is another 100$+ and on top of that I have to pay 19% import tax 🤕. Does anyone know a company from the EU that is importing TRex, or for that matter TST, parts? Because I don't think there is any way to dodge the import taxes and those coupled with the shipping make any parts prohibitively expensive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The T-Rex sliders look great and sturdy, but unfortunately I live in eastern EU and shipping to my country is another 100$+ and on top of that I have to pay 19% import tax 🤕. Does anyone know a company from the EU that is importing TRex, or for that matter TST, parts? Because I don't think there is any way to dodge the import taxes and those coupled with the shipping make any parts prohibitively expensive.
I ended up paying a painful $65 USD in postage, no further tax. I got to the point where I simply wasn't happy with the other options and nothing else would do. I figured in the scheme of fairing damage prices I'd stomach it. Beats paying for something less when itself fails, frame mounting point gets mangled and you still get fairing damage to boot.
I tried everything to get postage down, even looking at buying from foreign language websites and emailing t-rex directly, but still postage was terrible and no reply from T-rex. In the end the best postage price was through their website.
I would look at a freight forwarding service next time. Kiwi mentioned one which is organised by our national post. You might find your country has one also.

181 - 200 of 201 Posts