Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey how was that for my first ever attempt at 'click bait'... and my last.

One of the Thai riders posted a two week review on the facebook page and I translated it with google which is a bit of a hoot so thought I'd share with you guys: (Car = Motorcycle)

Real Review for two weeks.

1. Cars don't yank. Make it out. It's very fast. Haha. Very comfortable. Good to hear its fast!

2. Cars use very agile. This traffic is comfortable. Car weight is lightweight. Driver is comfortable.

3. The Bass system made a good one. :confused::confused:

4. Wheels well done at one level according to the ability of the wheel. Plus it's raining.

5. Heat vent good level one because high cc car high heat is already is. He's talking about the new engine heat venting system here, important in Thailand!

6. The Cho system is at mid-Level (have not tried to adjust the back level after watching the original episode from the factory). I think he is referring to the rear shock preload setting here

7. Long drive. Well done with weight. You don't have a lot of weight.

The problem hasn't been found yet. Which one of you is driving and sharing your feelings?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Click bait!! Can't say it didn't work.

I assume when they say it doesn't yank, they're referring to when you gear shift and it somehow smooths out the process for new riders so there isn't that initial jerk when you shift up. Sounds great to me!

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Click bait!! Can't say it didn't work.

I assume when they say it doesn't yank, they're referring to when you gear shift and it somehow smooths out the process for new riders so there isn't that initial jerk when you shift up. Sounds great to me!
Yeah I'm guessing he means it's smooth. Google translate is useless on the South East Asian languages for some reason. When the Honda CBR250RR hit Indonesia I tried to translate some of the owner reviews and it was even worse than the Thai translations.
Thats OK, we will be able to write our own reviews shortly. Woop woop! :grin:

·
Registered
124 Posts
We should keep an eye on motorcycle publications because they should be the first to get on these and have a few month lead. Wouldn't be surprised if some higher performing dealers get invited as well. Much like what happens in the automotive industry.

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We should keep an eye on motorcycle publications because they should be the first to get on these and have a few month lead. Wouldn't be surprised if some higher performing dealers get invited as well. Much like what happens in the automotive industry.
The trouble with publications is there is the time lag between riding/testing the bike and getting the review published. Generally on-line sites like Cycle World in the US and Motorcycle News (MCN) in the UK are the first to get ride impression out in the media.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The trouble with publications is there is the time lag between riding/testing the bike and getting the review published. Generally on-line sites like Cycle World in the US and Motorcycle News (MCN) in the UK are the first to get ride impression out in the media.
Good point, I know often they have a set timeline to follow to release the reviews. Hopefully some of these publications will report instant feedback through social media, fresh feedback is almost always the best.

·
Registered
84 Posts

One of the Thai riders posted a two week review on the facebook page and I translated it with google which is a bit of a hoot so thought I'd share with you guys: (Car = Motorcycle)

1. Cars don't yank. Make it out. It's very fast. Haha. Very comfortable. Good to hear its fast!

2. Cars use very agile. This traffic is comfortable. Car weight is lightweight. Driver is comfortable.

4. Wheels well done at one level according to the ability of the wheel. Plus it's raining.

5. Heat vent good level one because high cc car high heat is already is. He's talking about the new engine heat venting system here, important in Thailand!

6. The Cho system is at mid-Level (have not tried to adjust the back level after watching the original episode from the factory). I think he is referring to the rear shock preload setting here

The problem hasn't been found yet. Which one of you is driving and sharing your feelings?
If you could lead me to the source, may be I can do a better job of translating it.:grin:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I google translated it and they say the Ninja 400 "does not snatch out very smooth." I assume that means gear shifting is smooth and easy with very little jerking when you accelerate in the next gear.

·
Registered
124 Posts
From reading the comments it seems that someone is already not liking its fuel economy. Which is funny because here in the states where more people are looking ditch their car for a bike, fuel consumption isn't even a question, right off the bat were spending 1/3 or less compare to the average sedan + parking.

Tee Volibear I used to drive class 150 and then up to 400. My feeling is that the consumption of fuel than the car because of the cc higher than the two-cylinder car I'm here to eat it from this. I feel like a small car, but then it's over and now ... New See Room type.
Like ·2 · January 3 at 4:04 am · Edited

Dr.Puttipong Hanvise
Puttipong audacious queen cells, where people say that the same as the 650's or so people tell me to think that I was advised not to because he did not know the car and the engine Ninja 400. I have Joe to get it. Ninja 400 is all new system developed. I do not know if this is the right place for you.
Like ·1 · January 3 at 6:25 am

·
Registered
84 Posts
Looks to have good acceleration! We so need a Thai- English translator to join this forum. :D
I should be able to help. Unfortunately, I'm all tied up at the moment. Since I've ridden it, all I can say is that lack of up side down front fork is not a problem for me. The stock suspension system is just fine, and you can get Ohlin front and rear for this model. Engine spins freely, and reaches top RPM without hesitation. The bike feels smaller than CBR 3000R, and handles better. Brakes are good and smooth. Slipper clutch and gear indicator are nice features. Stock tyres are excellent for off track, and acceptable for track day. I'd definitely choose this bike over the to-be introduced new 2018 Yamaha YZF-R3. Regretfully, the Kawasaki sales man cannot give me definite delivery date, and I hate to pull strings and cut the queue line.

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I should be able to help. Unfortunately, I'm all tied up at the moment. Since I've ridden it, all I can say is that lack of up side down front fork is not a problem for me. The stock suspension system is just fine, and you can get Ohlin front and rear for this model. Engine spins freely, and reaches top RPM without hesitation. The bike feels smaller than CBR 3000R, and handles better. Brakes are good and smooth. Slipper clutch and gear indicator are nice features. Stock tyres are excellent for off track, and acceptable for track day. I'd definitely choose this bike over the to-be introduced new 2018 Yamaha YZF-R3. Regretfully, the Kawasaki sales man cannot give me definite delivery date, and I hate to pull strings and cut the queue line.
It's the same R3 that came out in '15 but with new paint job. Does look good tho.
Pleased to hear you rate the Ninja.

·
Registered
84 Posts

OK, here is my translation. Please bear in mind that the reviewer gives vague review, even in THai. He keps repeating " Up to a certain level", and it's difficult to know what level he is talking about. Also, I don't know why he rates suspension as average.

1 The bike is very smooth, revs up rapidly, 150-160km./hr is easily reached
2 The bike is very agile in congested traffic It's light, making it easy to ride.
3 Brakes are good up to a certain level
4 Wheels (tyres?) are good up to a certain level. Slightly slippery in the rain.
5 Engine cooling system is good up to a certain level. High cc.engines usually have high temperture.
6 Suspension is average. No adjustment made. Factory set up is retained.
7 Long distance riding is very good, because the bike is light and the riding position will not cause tiredness.

No problem exposed itself

·
Registered
124 Posts
Really appreciate your translation and clarity on what was said. Overall it seems to live up to what its supposed to be, an incremental step up from the 300 that further builds on it. Too bad there aren't more direct rivals.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Really appreciate the translation! Great to see some positive reviews right out of the gate. Hearing that the bike is lightweight and easily manageable is definitely something that I'm looking for. I too am having difficulty finding a similar offering from other manufacturers. Does anyone know why Honda doesn't offer the CBR 400 anymore?

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Really appreciate the translation! Great to see some positive reviews right out of the gate. Hearing that the bike is lightweight and easily manageable is definitely something that I'm looking for. I too am having difficulty finding a similar offering from other manufacturers. Does anyone know why Honda doesn't offer the CBR 400 anymore?
Do you mean the four cylinder CBR400RR from the late eighties / early nineties? It was a race replica phase that all the Japanese manufacturers were in on when bike sales were booming. Pumping out 250 and 400cc fours with aluminium frames and adjustable suspension has high manufacturing costs though which ultimately lead to their demise when people no longer wanted to pay the high purchase price.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CBR400

Not to be confused with the CBR400R which is just a sleeved down CBR500R for the Japanese domestic market to met their regs. Horribly bad power to weight ratio, def not competition for the Ninja!

CBR400R | Honda

1 - 20 of 21 Posts