Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, Just got back last night at 10pm from a 14 hour trip from Broken Arrow, Okla to Fort Worth Texas and back! I ran right at 646 miles round trip. And I did Indeed pick up my Brand New 2018 Ninja EX400 HFJ Motorcycle. Made this purchase from Freedom Powersports on the West Side loop of Fort Worth Texas. I got the Non ABS version of this Bike with the Metallic Spark Black Paint Scheme. Before I picked up my Bike, I stopped for about 2 hours and did a little shopping at IKEA in Frisco, Texas before going down to Freedom Powersports to get my Bike. I got there around 2pm and did the orientation and the walk around on the bike and then went in and did the paperwork and got my Temp Tag and went back to the Service Dept to roll out the Bike for the Test Run. I started the Engine and it was running fast and sound a little rough at first and then it Idled down and started running really smooth. I had to adjust the mirrors and they seemed to be really stiff and had to tweak them kinda hard. So afterward I pulled in the Clutch and it was really easy with a really light touch, shifted to first gear and took off on the service road behind the shop. The engine had a really smooth sound and the stock exhaust sounded a little louder and throatier than most stock Bikes that I have ridden before. It seemed a little more louder than the Ninja 300 that I bought, when it first came out about 5 years ago. The Transmission shifted really smooth and really precise both up and down shifting and seemed really firm because of the New Engine. I took the Bike about 1/2 mile down the service road and went all the way up to 6th gear and down really easy not to go past about 4500rs for the Engine Break In. But even in the low RPM range this bike seemed to have more Punch and Thrust than my Ninja 300 that I had, that was all Modified. The Bike seemed a lot lighter and had more precise GYRO type of feel. But was really careful because of the new Tires. It was 30F outside and it was windy and COLD to say the least. The Bike did really well under these conditions. The Fairing seemed to really cut the wind pretty well

All in All, The look of the Bike, the Paint and the finish, the Frame, the Engine, the Speedo Cluster, and the seat. Both rider and passenger seemed to be really great and smooth and by the numbers.... I do plan on doing the Mods as soon as the manufacturers start producing these soon. I will probably go with a Full System Yoshimura with the R11 Can or go with the Full System Akrapovic with either the Computer Flash or the Power Commander 5 with Ignition Advancer like my Ninja 300 that I used to have. I also really want to get a light black smoked Zero Gravity Corsa windscreen like the one that I had on my 300 too. But for now I will do a very easy Break In and do the service right at 500 miles for sure... This Bike says in the manual that it has a 2.4 quart oil capacity with the filter. And you can get these filters at Wal Mart for a really good price. It appears to be the same filter as the Ninja 300. For gearing it has a 14 tooth countershaft sprocket in the front and a 41 tooth in the rear. The Gear Ratio seemed to be okay during my Test Run, but that could change later on when I do the Mods. The Gas Tank seemed to be more narrow and carries less fuel than the Ninja 300. But it still goes over 200 miles on a tank before going empty.

So far, in the early stage of my evaluation of the Ninja 400. I would absolutely give it a 5 Star Rating and would recommend this Bike for all of the Small Bore riders and even the Big Bore Boys too. I do own a 2012 ZX10R and still I look at this 400 as a really FUN, FAST and really made well Bike to go to places like the Colorado Rockies and cruising in the Mountains including Pikes Peak to the summit at 14,110 to the top.... Just wanted to share that I am really "HAPPY and GLAD" that I made this purchase and made the Big Adventure to go the EXTRA Miles (646) to get this one. It was well worth it..... So anyway it looks like I kept my record of getting the "FIRST" Black Ninja 400 to come to Tulsa and or Broken Arrow and even perhaps in the whole State of Oklahoma... The First Black Ninja 300 and the first Black Ninja 250 in 2009 to come to Tulsa. This is my 10th Kawasaki Motorcycle since the year of 2000 and really a proud and blessed owner of these great Bikes. I give the Kawasaki Ninja EX400 HFJ a "BIG THUMBS UP" and 5 or more Star rating. Live Long and Prosper:grin::grin::smile::smile::eek::eek::):)
PS: Really happy with my New 2018 Ninja 400 POCKET ROCKET!

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey Guys, Just got back last night at 10pm from a 14 hour trip from Broken Arrow, Okla to Fort Worth Texas and back! I ran right at 646 miles round trip. And I did Indeed pick up my Brand New 2018 Ninja EX400 HFJ Motorcycle. Made this purchase from Freedom Powersports on the West Side loop of Fort Worth Texas. I got the Non ABS version of this Bike with the Metallic Spark Black Paint Scheme. Before I picked up my Bike, I stopped for about 2 hours and did a little shopping at IKEA in Frisco, Texas before going down to Freedom Powersports to get my Bike. I got there around 2pm and did the orientation and the walk around on the bike and then went in and did the paperwork and got my Temp Tag and went back to the Service Dept to roll out the Bike for the Test Run. I started the Engine and it was running fast and sound a little rough at first and then it Idled down and started running really smooth. I had to adjust the mirrors and they seemed to be really stiff and had to tweak them kinda hard. So afterward I pulled in the Clutch and it was really easy with a really light touch, shifted to first gear and took off on the service road behind the shop. The engine had a really smooth sound and the stock exhaust sounded a little louder and throatier than most stock Bikes that I have ridden before. It seemed a little more louder than the Ninja 300 that I bought, when it first came out about 5 years ago. The Transmission shifted really smooth and really precise both up and down shifting and seemed really firm because of the New Engine. I took the Bike about 1/2 mile down the service road and went all the way up to 6th gear and down really easy not to go past about 4500rs for the Engine Break In. But even in the low RPM range this bike seemed to have more Punch and Thrust than my Ninja 300 that I had, that was all Modified. The Bike seemed a lot lighter and had more precise GYRO type of feel. But was really careful because of the new Tires. It was 30F outside and it was windy and COLD to say the least. The Bike did really well under these conditions. The Fairing seemed to really cut the wind pretty well

All in All, The look of the Bike, the Paint and the finish, the Frame, the Engine, the Speedo Cluster, and the seat. Both rider and passenger seemed to be really great and smooth and by the numbers.... I do plan on doing the Mods as soon as the manufacturers start producing these soon. I will probably go with a Full System Yoshimura with the R11 Can or go with the Full System Akrapovic with either the Computer Flash or the Power Commander 5 with Ignition Advancer like my Ninja 300 that I used to have. I also really want to get a light black smoked Zero Gravity Corsa windscreen like the one that I had on my 300 too. But for now I will do a very easy Break In and do the service right at 500 miles for sure... This Bike says in the manual that it has a 2.4 quart oil capacity with the filter. And you can get these filters at Wal Mart for a really good price. It appears to be the same filter as the Ninja 300. For gearing it has a 14 tooth countershaft sprocket in the front and a 41 tooth in the rear. The Gear Ratio seemed to be okay during my Test Run, but that could change later on when I do the Mods. The Gas Tank seemed to be more narrow and carries less fuel than the Ninja 300. But it still goes over 200 miles on a tank before going empty.

So far, in the early stage of my evaluation of the Ninja 400. I would absolutely give it a 5 Star Rating and would recommend this Bike for all of the Small Bore riders and even the Big Bore Boys too. I do own a 2012 ZX10R and still I look at this 400 as a really FUN, FAST and really made well Bike to go to places like the Colorado Rockies and cruising in the Mountains including Pikes Peak to the summit at 14,110 to the top.... Just wanted to share that I am really "HAPPY and GLAD" that I made this purchase and made the Big Adventure to go the EXTRA Miles (646) to get this one. It was well worth it..... So anyway it looks like I kept my record of getting the "FIRST" Black Ninja 400 to come to Tulsa and or Broken Arrow and even perhaps in the whole State of Oklahoma... The First Black Ninja 300 and the first Black Ninja 250 in 2009 to come to Tulsa. This is my 10th Kawasaki Motorcycle since the year of 2000 and really a proud and blessed owner of these great Bikes. I give the Kawasaki Ninja EX400 HFJ a "BIG THUMBS UP" and 5 or more Star rating. Live Long and Prosper:grin::grin::smile::smile::eek::eek::):)
PS: Really happy with my New 2018 Ninja 400 POCKET ROCKET!
Definitely not the first in Oklahoma but most likely the first in Tulsa area. Judging from all the reviews I've seen so far, it's still seems like a better version of the 300 (not a bad thing at all). Would you agree with that? Do you notice anything that would fit from the 300 aside from the more universal things like levers, swingarm spools, etc.? Looking at the pictures, it seems that the front turn signals are similar. My thought was to get the smoked ones that I had on my 300 if they fit. Also, I've never been one to follow the whole "keep it under x rpm", I just make sure to vary the rpm regularly.

Congrats on the new bike!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ninja400 Stealth, congratulations on the Ninja 400 purchase. thanks for the pictures and nice review. Glad you had a safe trip to purchase it.
I am curious what type of HP the 400 will produce with a few modifications? I have heard other reviews discussing how precise the steering was and how it felt like a larger bike, but still has the flickable characteristics of a small bike. Just waiting my turn to throw a leg over one and find out.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Hey cool Stealth! Ive been away in the forest hiking and outta reception the last four days but was wondering how you you guys were getting on with your 'new arrivals'.
Great to hear and glad your happy with it, worth the drive eh.
Pleased to hear the standard exhaust note is not too whisper quiet as it may be a while before I get that changed. I like your modification plans too. All you need is some warmer temps now.
Still waiting for my black beauty to arrive here .. :D
Great pics too, thanks for sharing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts