Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got this barely used 2019 Ninja 400 ABS with 427 miles and motorcycle carrier for 3800.00. It was an all day event and 400 miles round trip but it was well worth it for a bike that is basically new. The DMV in SC are by appointment only so I can't get it on the road until the end of the month. So while I am waiting to register the bike I went ahead and ordered the K&N air filter, hindle ss/c and a touring windscreen for less than some slip-ons with change left over.

Here is a pic of the being transported on the carrier.I will post more pics once the mods are on the bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2. Got the K&N air filter in. I did it myself and managed to get the filter in without completely removing the tank or air box cover. I left one plug in on the tank and box and lifted them up enough to get the filter changed. Took me an hour.

·
Registered
615 Posts
2. Got the K&N air filter in. I did it myself and managed to get the filter in without completely removing the tank or air box cover. I left one plug in on the tank and box and lifted them up enough to get the filter changed. Took me an hour.

HOw in the earth did you manage that? Did you rig a jig? Elastic Man.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
HOw in the earth did you manage that? Did you rig a jig? Elastic Man.
I removed the 2 vacuum hoses on the left side of the tank and unclamped the fuel line on the right side of the tank. There is one more connection under the tank that I left connected and lifted the the front of the tank so it was standing up nearly straight

Holding the tank with my left hand I used a power tool to remove the air filter lid and lifted the front and held the tank and air filter lid while I replaced the air filter. I left the air filter lid wire connected as well.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Aha! I lubed the holes. Makes insertion and removal easier.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Aha! I lubed the holes. Makes insertion and removal easier.
I assume you are talking about the 2 guide holes/poles at the front of the tank, and not a soda machine. That is an excellent tip for those who will be removing the tank often. One of the reasons I use a K&N is the "set it and forget it" functionality, and this is especially true with the Ninja 400 1 hour surgery to replace the air filter. I hope to never see that air filter again.

·
Registered
501 Posts
As tedious as it is to remove panels and fuel tank just to get to an air filter, The Ninja's certainly not the only bike that requires it. Fortunately, it doesn't often require attention... Unless the neighborhood mouse decides your bike's air box is a nice safe place to nest during cool weather.. :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I usually clean 'n re-oil my K&N when I tune the bike up; I'll have the tank off to change plugs anyway. For me, I find it easier to just remove stuff than struggle trying to get into cramped areas, cuz my busted up old hands need room to work. 😁

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
My SS/C Hindle order got cancelled because they were not able to get the unit from Hindle, the original proce was 314 OTD. I found the Hindle SS on hotbodies and they have a memorial day weekend sale with 20% off, got it for 163 OTD.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took the bike for the first oil change at 500 miles so I had a chance to test the ZG. It works as expected and offers much better protection than OEM. Here are some better shots of the new ZG touring screen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts