Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've never owned a bike before, but now that I have the funds I'm considering this model as one of my options. I've always been a fan of the Ninja's styling, my big hesitation is the performance for the price. I have many friends who ride, who believe this is a bike that you will quickly outgrow...but I also don't want to kill myself in the process aha. Do you guys think 400R is enough bike to last?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Phaze, first let me welcome you to the forum.
You have to start somewhere on a bike. The ninja 400 will be a very capable bike for that as it is: lighter than the previous 300, more refined than it's predecessor (referring to the 41mm front forks & intake system), and 45hp engine to get you up and going to and above the speed limit. Though you may want to upgrade after a year or two to a 120+hp bike , the bike is in big demand presently with no bad publicity. It should have a good resale value, unless it gets a newbie drop in the driveway :>).
Let the upgrade take place after you have some mileage or Kilometers behind you of experience.
rde09

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Welcome Phaze! I was smiling to myself as I read your query as to whether this bike would be powerful enough for a first bike. I was thinking back to my first bike which was only 125cc and then my second which was 200cc. I rode both these bikes on the road.
So to me it almost seems scary to think that someone would be starting out on a 45HP bike capable of around 120MPH!
I wouldn't worry about your mates opinion, you will always get that. There does seem to be a 'bigger is better' attitude in American motorcycling circles, not sure why this is. Horse power isn't everything and can get you into trouble (or a coffin) real quick when your first starting out.
I'll stop now before I sound even more like an old geezer. :smile_big:

My short answer was yes, this bike should be well suitable for a first bike that you will be happy with for some time. Good choice!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey guys,

I've never owned a bike before, but now that I have the funds I'm considering this model as one of my options. I've always been a fan of the Ninja's styling, my big hesitation is the performance for the price. I have many friends who ride, who believe this is a bike that you will quickly outgrow...but I also don't want to kill myself in the process aha. Do you guys think 400R is enough bike to last?
Honestly, I would advise against buying a new motorcycle as your first motorcycle. There are so many things that you'll be focusing on and adding a brand new bike into the mix just makes it stressful. With that being said, it depends on the person, some people get used to it and want something faster (outgrow it) and some are content with the power. Being an owner of an S1000RR, fast bikes are extremely fun but I find myself going back to a small bike for how light and inexpensive they are compared to the bigger bikes. There's just something about being able to take it all the way to redline without worrying about jail time.

At the end of the day, it's your money. If you decide you want a new motorcycle, I believe the 400 will be a better version of the 300 in every aspect. If you decide to go used, I'd try to pick up a ninja 300 or maybe an r3 as they are both great bikes and you can get them fairly cheap! Best of luck and welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome Phaze! I was smiling to myself as I read your query as to whether this bike would be powerful enough for a first bike. I was thinking back to my first bike which was only 125cc and then my second which was 200cc. I rode both these bikes on the road.
So to me it almost seems scary to think that someone would be starting out on a 45HP bike capable of around 120MPH!
I wouldn't worry about your mates opinion, you will always get that. There does seem to be a 'bigger is better' attitude in American motorcycling circles, not sure why this is. Horse power isn't everything and can get you into trouble (or a coffin) real quick when your first starting out.
I'll stop now before I sound even more like an old geezer. :smile_big:

My short answer was yes, this bike should be well suitable for a first bike that you will be happy with for some time. Good choice!

Thanks a lot for sharing! Yeah in my mind, the 400 has plenty of power and at first I was only looking at 250cc and 300cc bikes. As you reiterated however, my mates implied that those bikes are for children. I think it'll be for my benefit to ignore their input and purchase accordingly.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks a lot for sharing! Yeah in my mind, the 400 has plenty of power and at first I was only looking at 250cc and 300cc bikes. As you reiterated however, my mates implied that those bikes are for children. I think it'll be for my benefit to ignore their input and purchase accordingly.
That would be smart! After all, it will ultimately be you on the bike. Go with what you like and what you are comfortable with. Everyone can give opinions but that’s all they are. Do you plan on sitting on a few to see how they feel before you buy one? If so you might be waiting a bit before you get to hop on a 400.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the plan is to continue doing research and then go out and sit on a few different models. I'm not much of an impulse buyer so I'll be 100% sure of what I want before I get it. I don't know why but for some reason I've always had the idea of having a ninja in the back of my mind. Is there any word yet on when they might be getting shipped out?

·
Registered
241 Posts
First bike, get in as cheap as possible. You're gonna want about 15 different bikes a year later, and you'll have to narrow it down, or win the lottery ... ;-)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah the plan is to continue doing research and then go out and sit on a few different models. I'm not much of an impulse buyer so I'll be 100% sure of what I want before I get it. I don't know why but for some reason I've always had the idea of having a ninja in the back of my mind. Is there any word yet on when they might be getting shipped out?
For me the CBR500R stands out as a worthy rival to the Ninja 400 although it is in a segment slightly higher than this. Comparing what both brands offer to me these two come in close enough to each other. Even from a pricing standpoint it makes sense.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Nothing concrete, keep an eye on this thread: http://www.ninja400riders.com/forum/9-ninja-400-general-discussion-forum/873-when.html

For me the CBR500R stands out as a worthy rival to the Ninja 400 although it is in a segment slightly higher than this. Comparing what both brands offer to me these two come in close enough to each other. Even from a pricing standpoint it makes sense.
More info comparing these two bikes here: http://www.ninja400riders.com/forum/84-kawasaki-ninja-400-versus-competition/881-ninja-400-cbr500.html

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First bike, get in as cheap as possible. You're gonna want about 15 different bikes a year later, and you'll have to narrow it down, or win the lottery ... ;-)
Lol I really hope that this doesn't become the case. Perhaps I could kill two birds with one stone by finding a way to convince my girlfriend to ride as well. Anyone else on here ride as a couple?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Most people i know go through that process but at the end narrow it down to just a few bikes that all deliver something different. One friend of mine has a Honda Grom, Ducati 899 and a Honda Africa Twin. Good mix of bikes if you ask me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for posting! So it looks like one of the biggest differences is between the two is bike weight. That's definitely a big factor for me, as I am looking for something lighter and more manageable. I have to say from watching those videos in the other thread that I also vastly prefer the sound of the Ninja over the CBR.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for posting! So it looks like one of the biggest differences is between the two is bike weight. That's definitely a big factor for me, as I am looking for something lighter and more manageable. I have to say from watching those videos in the other thread that I also vastly prefer the sound of the Ninja over the CBR.
For that reason I can't wait for bikes with carbon fiber frame to come to market in segments like this. it will be a long time out from now but ducati is doing it already in a $50k product.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Weight is something you acclimated to, like wind on the freeway. I started with the uber light weight old Ninja 250. Then a mid-size 470 pound bike. Then I tried my dad's 650 pound fat cruiser. When you're moving you don't notice the weight really. It's the parking lot and garage maneuvers. It's also important if the weight is carried down lower or up higher.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For that reason I can't wait for bikes with carbon fiber frame to come to market in segments like this. it will be a long time out from now but ducati is doing it already in a $50k product.
This may be a bit of a ridiculous question but isn't there an issue with going too light? How would a bike with a carbon fiber frame handle any sort of in climate weather such as heavy winds? I guess it all boils down to rider experience/skill. And $50k for a bike?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts