Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

Just passed 400 miles on the new bike and very pleased with the Ninja. Could not be happier with my decision. Here are a couple of observations and questions that may help us to compare notes on the break-inexperience.

1/ Engine idles at about 1200 RPM when warm, and although it has never stalled, it sure seems to be close. Sort of just chugs along at idle, but always responds immediately to throttle input. I am guessing this is just the way the engine idles.

2/ I have noticed a VERY small, but perceptible fore/aft play in thefront fork assembly when hitting bumps or braking hard. Again, it is extremely small, but enough to wonder if this is normal or if something is not secured properly (accompanied by an audible and very momentary metal-metal click). A visual inspection gave no obvious evidence.

3/ Brakes. My only complaint. While sufficient, they do seem soft and prone to fade. I think Iam going to replace the OEM rubber lines with SS to hopefully provide some improvement.

4/ A few small shifting issues were noted, some of which can certainly be the rider’s fault. In general, the gears have a solid, positive feel that do require a fairly firm upshift,especially 5th to 6th. On a few occasions I did notice the bike fail to move into 6th but a more deliberate shift convinced it. Also, I did sometimes note the <-> indicationwhen trying to move into 1st from a stop. A little rocking of the bike cured it. I believe this to be normal.

5/ Fuel pump – pre-start prime. I noticed prior to start, the fuel pump primes only if the bike is in neutral. I believe this to be normal,though it starts fine either way when engine is cold.

6/ I too hear the quiet rattling noise just above the front tire that was discussed in the “Unusual Noises”thread. Not loud, but perceptible and most evident between 2-4th gears at lower RPMs . Going to explore the tipover sensor mounting

All in all, so far a great experience.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hi NJA400,

Yep, your observations mirror my bike also.

For point #6, I hear the rattle, same area when turning left, like in a sweeping curve at lower rpm's. Haven't really looked into it yet.

Should check for coolant leaks, especially if you smell coolant or you see coolant on exhaust, fairings, open up the fairings and investigate. Few members here had coolant leaks, including myself, albeit minimal. Bike's in the process of getting fixed, waiting for a mechanical water seal.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Hi, those gearbox issues will most likely disappear with more miles.
I fitted a S/S braided line to the front and while it does improve things its not the ultimate solution. Got rid of the spnginess but still feels a bit 'wooden'. Once my pads are worn I will go for sintered.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts