Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just recently got a 400 after having owned a gs500 and a rc390. Loving the bike so far (have about 550mi on it) but one thing I've been curious about is how hard it is to find neutral on this bike compared to my previous ones. It seems like the shift into neutral is soo sensitive... I usually have to go up and down from 1st/2nd a couple times before getting it in N.

Is this a common experience with others here?

·
Registered
105 Posts
The thread title sounds like a movie.. ?

I have no problem going neutral from gear 1 at a stop. But while moving, I can't shift to neutral, like it's some sort of preventive mechanism of false neutral..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that sounds about right, I tend to start trying while slowing down after downshifting but usually get it once the bike comes to a stop.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Same here, I was talking to a buddy about it. Hard to find neutral while moving, but come to a full stop and just click it without trying to find it and it does no problem. Probaby what Reezu suggested.

EDIT: Boom! xorbe for the win. Seems to work going from 2nd to N while stopped as well. That's my experience so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting... Thanks for the info guys. I'd rather the bike allow the rider to have full control over shifting but I'm sure it's something I'll get used to over time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes the positive neutral finder is meant to do this in both directions (lock out neutral when moving too fast). Good riding practice specifically states you should stop in gear then shift into neutral if warranted.
@xorbe another transplant from R3 forums!??! Nice to see you around again :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yes the positive neutral finder is meant to do this in both directions (lock out neutral when moving too fast). Good riding practice specifically states you should stop in gear then shift into neutral if warranted.

@xorbe another transplant from R3 forums!??! Nice to see you around again :)
Don't trust it and don't care for it, on a few occasions it's failed me causing the bike to lurch forwered during the break in period front and center at a couple stoplights, just went back to the old ways of down shifting to neutral while rolling to a stop,

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't trust it and don't care for it, on a few occasions it's failed me causing the bike to lurch forwered during the break in period front and center at a couple stoplights, just went back to the old ways of down shifting to neutral while rolling to a stop,
That works until someone wants to rear end you and you can't move in neutral quick enough :) - it happens way too much where I live.

·
Registered
21 Posts
OMG Thank you!!!! I thought for a while it was just me and I was starting to get really frustrated. I can get to neutral just fine once I'm stopped but trying to get to neutral when down shifting...forget it. I go all the way to 1st while breaking and just kick it into Neutral once I'm stopped. Like I said this is my first bike and I'm a brand new rider so I was kinda concerned maybe I just was failing at this badly. It's just super odd I can get to neutral no issue once completely stopped, just click. Trying to get to it while braking and downshifting...nope.
I was thinking while practicing (yeah I'm still in a parking lot that has a side road) that this bike is toying with my emotions. Oh you want to go to neutral, sure here let me...hahaha nope just kidding, you're going to 1st try again. Oh almost there, nope lets go back up to 2nd. Good luck from here.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The Positive Neutral Finder is great engineering. How can people hate it? It eliminates fumbling for neutral. So glad it's in the N400.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The Positive Neutral Finder is great engineering. How can people hate it? It eliminates fumbling for neutral. So glad it's in the N400.
Hey Watcher...

I respect your opinion man, Originally I thought it was a very cool concept until it almost threw me out in cross traffic after shifting past neutral, all because I let my guard down due to a few key words in the manual - and I quote " when the motorcycle is standing still, the transmission cannot be shifted past neutral from first gear " which after the first time it did shift past neutral - I started checking to make sure it was in neutral before letting out the clutch.

So if I have to Dbl check to make sure that the positive neutral that according to the manual " cant go past neutral from first gear " is working before I let out the clutch, then why bother. As far as that positive neutral goes... fool me once shame on you. fool me twice shame on me.

Right now if i'm coming to a stoplight and I think the light may change soon, I will stop while I'm in first gear and then up-shift to neutral if its not, but if I know the light going to just stay red, I just down-shift to neutral as I come to a stop like I always have.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hey Watcher...

I respect your opinion man, Originally I thought it was a very cool concept until it almost threw me out in cross traffic after shifting past neutral, all because I let my guard down due to a few key words in the manual - and I quote " when the motorcycle is standing still, the transmission cannot be shifted past neutral from first gear " which after the first time it did shift past neutral - I started checking to make sure it was in neutral before letting out the clutch.

So if I have to Dbl check to make sure that the positive neutral that according to the manual " cant go past neutral from first gear " is working before I let out the clutch, then why bother. As far as that positive neutral goes... fool me once shame on you. fool me twice shame on me.

Right now if i'm coming to a stoplight and I think the light may change soon, I will stop while I'm in first gear and then up-shift to neutral if its not, but if I know the light going to just stay red, I just down-shift to neutral as I come to a stop like I always have.
Sure hope your tranny ain't messed up.

I guess we gotta change our riding habits a bit, or get a different bike...NOT!

Reactions: Mr Mike

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's no different than making sure you made it to neutral normally. You should never dump the clutch, some bikes I've ridden that showed neutral were still in gear.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It's no different than making sure you made it to neutral normally. You should never dump the clutch.
Hi Omega..

your statement above says it all and should be included in the manual just under the positive neutral sentence.. dropping the clutch after becoming comfortable with this new feature is absolutely my fault, I put to much faith in the words stated in the manual " cannot shift past neutral " after all it worked flawlessly the first 50 times, I always have my foot on the rear break while at stops anyway - so no harm done.

lol positive neutral is just misleading, it should have been called - Easy Neutral.....hahahahahaaa.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Omega..

your statement above says it all and should be included in the manual just under the positive neutral sentence.. dropping the clutch after becoming comfortable with this new feature is absolutely my fault, I put to much faith in the words stated in the manual " cannot shift past neutral " after all it worked flawlessly the first 50 times, I always have my foot on the rear break while at stops anyway - so no harm done.

lol positive neutral is just misleading, it should have been called - Easy Neutral.....hahahahahaaa.
I love you lol don't be so harsh on yourself though. All I meant by it was if the dash indicates neutral you should still act like it's in gear on clutch release. I have had several bikes in neutral that were in gear because it can't always be perfect.

·
Registered
18 Posts
"The Positive Neutral Finder is great engineering. How can people hate it? It eliminates fumbling for neutral. So glad it's in the N400."

Yeah, I don't know how it works, but I bet it's great engineering. Kawasaki seems to have put some smart people into this bike.

It never used to work like that. I'm still getting used it. I don't like it because I come to the parking spot in 2nd or 1st an can't get neutral until I stop.

·
Registered
33 Posts
basically the ONLY time my bike is in neutral is when its parked. I just don't understand riders who want to coast to a stop in neutral. You see it all the time commuting. You have zero control over the bike in neutral, and if something changes, you wont have time to find a gear and do something about it. but who knows, maybe i'm just a grumpy old *******.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts