Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The countdown has begun. I finally signed up for a trackday with my Ninja 400. It will be with Pacific Tracktime at Sonoma Raceway on Sunday, September 6th. They will be there for Sat and Sun, but I am only able to go on Sunday. If anyone in the area is able to make it out there on that day let's pit together...

Looking forward to finally getting this thing out on the track to see what it can really do!...:cool:(y)

Pacific Tracktime

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Good on you! You wont regret it and could be the start of something... 😄
I had a look at the info link. Heck I hope they're giving you a discount on that price for only doing the Sunday.?

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good on you! You wont regret it and could be the start of something... 😄
I had a look at the info link. Heck I hope they're giving you a discount on that price for only doing the Sunday.?
Sonoma Raceway and Laguna Seca are considered to be the premium local tracks and are on average $100 more than the other California tracks. $275 is top dollar and more than I usually spend. I told the wife it’s what I want for my birthday since it’s on my birthday weekend and Sonoma is relatively close and not as far of a drive compared to the other tracks. And the weather is always perfect there too...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Sonoma Raceway and Laguna Seca are considered to be the premium local tracks and are on average $100 more than the other California tracks. $275 is top dollar and more than I usually spend. I told the wife it’s what I want for my birthday since it’s on my birthday weekend and Sonoma is relatively close and not as far of a drive compared to the other tracks. And the weather is always perfect there too...
That's funny cuz almost nobody in MotoAmerica considers Sonoma to be a premium track lol I've heard a lot of negative comments from the MA pros that have raced there. Part of the reason they even dropped it from the calendar for this year (before Covid was around). But at least since it was a MA track, there is plenty of data out there to compare your lap times to against the kids on 400s :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
You are unlikely to get rained out at Sears Pt (that has happened in first of season races/early spring) but it can get pretty hot in summer (after the morning fog lifts) so if you've got (or can borrow) an EZup take one with you.

sbk1198, what were the complaints you heard about the track? The facility is pretty nice now (especially compared to the gravel pits and no amenities of the late 1970s/early 1980s) and the track is fun to ride, though it has in the past had spots that were not good to crash in.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's funny cuz almost nobody in MotoAmerica considers Sonoma to be a premium track lol I've heard a lot of negative comments from the MA pros that have raced there. Part of the reason they even dropped it from the calendar for this year (before Covid was around). But at least since it was a MA track, there is plenty of data out there to compare your lap times to against the kids on 400s :)
Well it's way better than Buttonwillow and Willow Springs...LOL

I think the "premium" part is mainly because of the location and the weather. The track is pretty fun though, but definitely not world class. As far as lap times go, I don't really care about that too much. I won't really have a way to measure my lap times until I download the Gopro footage when I get home. I just want to go out and have a safe fun day and work on my braking and body position...

·
Registered
246 Posts
I can tell you this, it is ADDICTIVE!!!!!!!! Get two more jobs and choose a kid to part with (born or unborn) or know the secret password. It is not Rumplestiltskin. 😂 Seriously though, you have the correct attitude going in to it. Everyone I've ever known says some crazy shite like they will be the next (insert whomever is on the top of the world that year).
Take your time, enjoy the freedom of holding her wide open without having to look for cars or the police, sit up early apply the brake and stay on the track.

oh ya,

Keep the rubber side down!!!!

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can tell you this, it is ADDICTIVE!!!!!!!! Get two more jobs and choose a kid to part with (born or unborn) or know the secret password. It is not Rumplestiltskin. 😂 Seriously though, you have the correct attitude going in to it. Everyone I've ever known says some crazy shite like they will be the next (insert whomever is on the top of the world that year).
Take your time, enjoy the freedom of holding her wide open without having to look for cars or the police, sit up early apply the brake and stay on the track.

oh ya,

Keep the rubber side down!!!!
Sorry, I guess the title was a little misleading. It's not my first trackday, just my first trackday on this bike. I started doing trackdays in 2002 and have probably done around 20 or more since then. The last time was in 2017 on my 2009 SV650S so it's been a little while. I had aspirations of joining the AFM but then we had my daughter and then a son so that slowed me down a bit and I had to refocus priorities...

These days I'm lucky to get the occasional trackday due to time, money, and now this COVID thing. I had originally planned to go to Thunderhill in April but it was cancelled so I'm really looking forward to this one...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Sorry, I guess the title was a little misleading. It's not my first trackday, just my first trackday on this bike. I started doing trackdays in 2002 and have probably done around 20 or more since then. The last time was in 2017 on my 2009 SV650S so it's been a little while. I had aspirations of joining the AFM but then we had my daughter and then a son so that slowed me down a bit and I had to refocus priorities...

These days I'm lucky to get the occasional trackday due to time, money, and now this COVID thing. I had originally planned to go to Thunderhill in April but it was cancelled so I'm really looking forward to this one...
Yeah I misunderstood that and assumed actual first track day, but after a few posts I realized it wasn't, and thought it was just your first track day at Sonoma or first on this bike. 18 years and only 20 track days in this time? You are one of the rare ones who did NOT get addicted to this obviously lol I'm 9 years into it and between track days and race days....I've lost track of how many days I've done. I'm assuming somewhere around 110-120, but not exactly sure on the number. And I'm probably below average. I know some people that have done that in about 4-5 years only lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
Track days are cheaper track time than racing, but it is still a pretty expensive pastime that is not going to fit into a lot of people's budgets. Dirt riding can be less expensive and done more frequently (especially if doing trails/fire roads) but even that can be a budget squeeze.

Motorcycling is often not a good hobby for the impecunious. :)

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Track days are cheaper track time than racing, but it is still a pretty expensive pastime that is not going to fit into a lot of people's budgets. Dirt riding can be less expensive and done more frequently (especially if doing trails/fire roads) but even that can be a budget squeeze.

I'm really aware that not having an immediate family frees up a lot of cash and time to devote to racing. It's def not a substitute for that though, I just love the racing!

Impecunious... I had to google that. Something new every day huh. :giggle:

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

True. I'm at the point where I feel too old and out of shape to get into dirt bikes (never ridden one) because I've heard it can be pretty hard on your body, and I care more about the quality of the laps that I do on track than the quantity, which is why I've focused mostly on racing. For me a typical race weekend is cheaper than a track day weekend when you look at the total. If you look at the $ per lap, then track days would be cheaper, but like I said...for me it's quality over quantity and I'd much rather do only 40 laps in a race weekend that are all at race pace or close to it while racing with my friends than do 80+ laps at a slower pace because there are a bunch of people on all sorts of different bikes and skill levels at the same time on track.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
True. I'm at the point where I feel too old and out of shape to get into dirt bikes (never ridden one) because I've heard it can be pretty hard on your body, and I care more about the quality of the laps that I do on track than the quantity, which is why I've focused mostly on racing. For me a typical race weekend is cheaper than a track day weekend when you look at the total. If you look at the $ per lap, then track days would be cheaper, but like I said...for me it's quality over quantity and I'd much rather do only 40 laps in a race weekend that are all at race pace or close to it while racing with my friends than do 80+ laps at a slower pace because there are a bunch of people on all sorts of different bikes and skill levels at the same time on track.
Same. Because I race a 80HP bike tyre wear is much more of an issue than I guess it is with the Ninja. Unfortunately my local track is also the most abrasive in NZ and that combined with our generally cold temps (cold tear city) means you can chew out one side of a rear in a day easy. We have an endurance race once a year and I always sit it out because I'd rather not eat up tyres going round and round at a pace less than full noise. Generally that's the meeting I take the Ninja down to and ride in the 'Hav-a-go' class. Always good fun!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Same. Because I race a 80HP bike tyre wear is much more of an issue than I guess it is with the Ninja. Unfortunately my local track is also the most abrasive in NZ and that combined with our generally cold temps (cold tear city) means you can chew out one side of a rear in a day easy. We have an endurance race once a year and I always sit it out because I'd rather not eat up tyres going round and round at a pace less than full noise. Generally that's the meeting I take the Ninja down to and ride in the 'Hav-a-go' class. Always good fun!
Yeah I'm not jealous of the guys on the big bikes (1000cc). I know some guys that go through 2-3 rears in a weekend depending on how many races they do.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Out here at Sonoma this weekend for the Shelby Club event. They are doing a combined event with NCK Karting. Lots of cool cars and karts. I‘m helping out in the pits, not racing Karts anymore...
3A4652CA-0FC2-4A18-B21B-A69C43CB15E3.jpeg
8134D644-3D32-40F4-80E8-A73B732D4499.jpeg
9F5D9084-85C4-4843-87DC-10D560D05A2A.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
1,184 Posts
Everything in my life is a race, from walking down the street with the wife and kid, sailing, drinking beer and anything else that involves any kind of competition! But after my weekend at Willow Springs, I was walking around like a person who just had their first heroine ( at least that is what they told me!!) if I wasn’t so overbooked with everything, I would be at the track every chance I could. I am looking forward to finding one in Colorado, maybe next summer. And as much as I love my dirt bike and the fact that I ride it every day for 20-30 minutes, it is no replacement for going fast on a track!!

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Everything in my life is a race, from walking down the street with the wife and kid, sailing, drinking beer and anything else that involves any kind of competition! But after my weekend at Willow Springs, I was walking around like a person who just had their first heroine ( at least that is what they told me!!) if I wasn’t so overbooked with everything, I would be at the track every chance I could. I am looking forward to finding one in Colorado, maybe next summer. And as much as I love my dirt bike and the fact that I ride it every day for 20-30 minutes, it is no replacement for going fast on a track!!
Yes, ain't it a shame you cant do it at home easily like dirt riding. For me I find this is the biggest frustration.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts