Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
It looks much improved. I ordered 1 today. However, at $70, it is hugely overpriced. I run a metal fabrication company. We have lots of lasers, turret presses, press brakes and a powder coating line. I'm going to have our estimator calculate the cost. If I can't make a decent margin at a sales price of $35 or less, I'll be surprised.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OEM fender isn't aesthetically pleasing and heavier than alternatives, but it works as a mudguard better than anything and I believe it's very important.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Hey guys,

So I recently picked up a Yoshimura fender eliminator kit, put it on the bike and rode to work. Got off at work, checked the holder and it was hanging by the wires about an inch above my rear wheel!

Turns out you MUST put loctite threadlocker on the bolts, otherwise say bye bye to the bolts as I did :(

Since the kit doesn't come with the bolts (only the nuts) I thought I'd post the size of the bolts needed here in case someone else has the same misfortune and doesn't want to buy about 5 different sized bolts to see what fits...

5/16 3/4 inch will do it. Remember that loctite!!!
BIG THANK YOU!!!!! Yoshi is what I plan on going with.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I wanted to keep the OEM signals, waiting for the TST integrated tailight to come out (within this decade I hope) so I ordered this one a couple days ago, I like the side cut outs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Eliminator-License-Plate-Holder-For-KAWASAKI-NINJA-400-NINJA-250-2018-19/273503378954?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=572896688289&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

I bought this one, early on, when he said it was for the 2018 Ninja 400, he has since pulled it off the description as it does probably fit the 2011-2013 EUR and Canada 400 since they have similar tail sections as the older Ninja 650.
I made it fit for now, and it looks good.....I also do not use the license plate LED/light since the state I am in does not enforce needing one and the tail light lights it up enough to read it at night, in the state of TN in the USA you need only need a mirror on a motorcycle, a day time headlight that is always on the tag mounted in a visible spot (on a backpack, back of your helmet, etc.) and that's about it.

Also I prefer not to ride at night...only 3/4 of my ride into work will I do in the dark, riding in the dark is not as safe, especially out in the country(I have jumped hay bails in the middle of the road before in corners at night cause I could not see it until too late)

Turn signal requirements are optional...which people driving cars also see using them as optional :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/License-Pl...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

So I will have $60 total in it.

Once the tail light comes out I will probably keep this one and cut the turn signal mounts off it, if it fits well because I also strap a tail bag onto the tail/passenger seat and use the tag mount for a mounting point (the stock fender had little hooks on it)

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Vagabond Fender Eliminator Cost

I received the vagabond fender eliminator today.
I'm shocked that they have the temerity to charge $70 (including delivery) for what, IMO, ought to cost maybe $30.
Aluminum sheet costs me around $2.50/lb
The blank from which the bracket is fabricated measures approximately 9" x 7.5" and would weigh less than 1 pound. (the finished bracket, with 4 bolts, weighs LESS THAN 1/2 pound)
Add in laser time, bending time, 4 pressed in bolts and some good exterior grade powder coating.
Toss it in a bag with a single page instruction sheet, a couple of screws, 4 nuts, and a grommet and voila- MAYBE $7 - $9 manufacturing cost.
Add in $10 for delivery and a plastic bag for packaging

All in I'd be at $17 - $19, maybe $20?

Put on a 50% margin and I'm a hero if I sell it for $30- which is less than 1/2 of Vagabond's direct price.

I'll confirm on Monday once my estimator runs the numbers.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
I received the vagabond fender eliminator today.
I'm shocked that they have the temerity to charge $70 (including delivery) for what, IMO, ought to cost maybe $30.
Aluminum sheet costs me around $2.50/lb
The blank from which the bracket is fabricated measures approximately 9" x 7.5" and would weigh less than 1 pound. (the finished bracket, with 4 bolts, weighs LESS THAN 1/2 pound)
Add in laser time, bending time, 4 pressed in bolts and some good exterior grade powder coating.
Toss it in a bag with a single page instruction sheet, a couple of screws, 4 nuts, and a grommet and voila- MAYBE $7 - $9 manufacturing cost.
Add in $10 for delivery and a plastic bag for packaging

All in I'd be at $17 - $19, maybe $20?

Put on a 50% margin and I'm a hero to sell it for $30- which is less than 1/2 of Vagabond's direct price.

I'll confirm on Monday once my estimator runs the numbers.
That's why the only fender eliminator kit should be TST Industries! $26 and then $4 for an LED license light.

·
Registered
143 Posts
That's why the only fender eliminator kit should be TST Industries! $26 and then $4 for an LED license light.
The TST one doesn't come with a bracket that holds side blinkers, right? Also doesn't come with the "close out" bracket that cost $30 - with that it would be pretty close to $70.

I'm all for cheaper fender eliminator. If someone wants to make me one, I'll "test" it for you. lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
The TST one doesn't come with a bracket that holds side blinkers, right? Also doesn't come with the "close out" bracket that cost $30 - with that it would be pretty close to $70.

I'm all for cheaper fender eliminator. If someone wants to make me one, I'll "test" it for you. lol
That's true. TST markets a 'Pro' version that basically just covers up two holes. The one I am talking about does not support the factory turn signals, leaves those two mounting holes open and it does not come with a licence plate light. You're paying $26 for a bracket that holds a US license plate. I don't remember if it even came with the bolts, because I just reused the OEM ones. Which btw you can just slot in the back two holes and cover it up. It's not worth spending any more than $26 and wont look $70-$115+ better IMO.

I bought a simple LED strip and stuck it to my plate and an integrated rear brake light and I'm very pleased.

Here's a video of how the integrated taillight works and looks:
Here's some pictures of my fender eliminator and taillight:
Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Wheel Auto part

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Bumper

Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper Vehicle Rim

All in I paid about $130.

·
Registered
998 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts

My point is that the unit sold by Vagabond is very expensive. Less than a pound of Aluminum, fabrication, finishing, some hardware and an instruction sheet should not cost $70, including delivery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ran the license plate - turn signal bracket through my estimating department and they replied with:

1,000 pcs. @ $ 14 / ea.
500 pcs. @ $ 15 / ea.
250 pcs. @ $ 17 / ea.
100 pcs. @ $ 22 / ea.
50 pcs. @ $ 31 / ea.

These prices represent our costs to manufacture out of 1/8" aluminum, install 4 machine screws (press fit), apply a heavy exterior grade of powder coating, drop it in a bag with some hardware and an instruction sheet.

So, if we decide to enter this market- we'd make 500 @ $15/ea, add on a small margin of maybe 20% and see how Amazon reacts. We'd need to look at costs to ship to their warehouses?

Or, look at selling them direct for $30ish, including delivery?

Either way, I think it's pretty clear that $70 including freight is really expensive.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I ran the license plate - turn signal bracket through my estimating department and they replied with:

1,000 pcs. @ $ 14 / ea.
500 pcs. @ $ 15 / ea.
250 pcs. @ $ 17 / ea.
100 pcs. @ $ 22 / ea.
50 pcs. @ $ 31 / ea.

These prices represent our costs to manufacture, install 4 machine screws (press fit), apply a heavy exterior grade of powder coating, drop it in a bag with some hardware and an instruction sheet.

So, if we decide to enter this market- we'd make 500 @ $15/ea, add on a small margin of maybe 20% and see how Amazon reacts. We'd need to look at costs to ship to their warehouses?

Or, look at selling them direct for $30ish, including delivery?

Either way, I think it's pretty clear that $70 including freight is really expensive.
While you’re at it, how about making a cheap exhaust hanger as well?...

Similar to the Yoshimura or R&G...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just installed my fender eliminator that I got from
Custom Bike Parts

Also available on EBay
https://m.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-NIN...58:m:mafLm_uS3KPnjHoT0NLXBMg&var=541902734651

It was a very easy install and I like the fact that it allows you to use the stock signals. He also includes a LED plate light and a bare metal version if you want to save a few bucks and paint it yourself.

Quality materials and made in USA. Very quick shipping and good communication as well...highly recommended and a good value for $24.99.

I bought and just installed this very same product.

Since there were no instruction, I had to install based on trail and error. The picture above helped me a lot.

A couple of things to note:
- To use the stock turn signal, you'll have to do the following:
1. Remove the signal from the OEM fender by unscrewing the tiny phillips screw and then removing the metal plate. Then squeeze out the stalk of the signal.
2. On the new bracket, break the side tabs. That will allow you to install the signal in reverse of above: squeeze the rubber part of the OEM turn signal and then lock it in place with the metal screw lock plate (picture below)

NOTE: I was tempted to cut the stalks out cause there's a metal stopper that prevent fishing out the connector. DO NOT cut anything. You will regret it.

- To mount the new bracket to the tail of the Ninja, you'll need to use 4 addition nut as the OEM fender have pre-tapped holes. The OEM screws will accept M8x1.25 nuts.

In all, what should have been a 15 min install turned out to be 30 with a trip to Home Depot. Not bad considering you can reuse most of the OEM stuff, a huge selling point as you don't need to buy extra relays to compensate for aftermarket blinkers. Total cost was less than $40. Highly recommend.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts