Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for sharing. I like the fender eliminator, but I'm not a fan of those those pod signals at all, hopefully we'll see some different alternatives. Do people opt to eliminate the fenders merely for the changes in aesthetics? I see the OEM fender is considerably more bulky.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I like the fender eliminator, but I'm not a fan of those those pod signals at all, hopefully we'll see some different alternatives. Do people opt to eliminate the fenders merely for the changes in aesthetics? I see the OEM fender is considerably more bulky.
Most do because it looks better, they are working on an integrated tail light so I’ll deal with the signals until they finish the tail light.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Sometimes the aftermarket tail tidy can be considerably lighter than the OEM item. Esp if it's a swap from steel to aluminium.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Fender Eliminator and Sequential Lights

Oooh, I really like those sequential lights, but I'm inclined to agree that it looks and functions better with the multi sequence. Thanks for sharing, definitely a mod I would be interested in making. Do you remember approximately what the old set up cost you and how involved it was to change?
It was around close to $100 or so and I remember it was pretty much plug and play. It replaced the stock OEM Unit pretty close and well worth the time and money for this really cool Install. Just hope that later on the Motodynamics can come up with one for the Ninja 400 very soon. By the way I just got in my Fender Eliminator from TST Industries and when I get time I will go for the Install soon. I think the TST would be a good price for the Fender Eliminator and will hold off until the 1.2.3. Sequential Light comes out from Motodynamics

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rear fender eliminator kit

Hey guys,

So I recently picked up a Yoshimura fender eliminator kit, put it on the bike and rode to work. Got off at work, checked the holder and it was hanging by the wires about an inch above my rear wheel!

Turns out you MUST put loctite threadlocker on the bolts, otherwise say bye bye to the bolts as I did :(

Since the kit doesn't come with the bolts (only the nuts) I thought I'd post the size of the bolts needed here in case someone else has the same misfortune and doesn't want to buy about 5 different sized bolts to see what fits...

5/16 3/4 inch will do it. Remember that loctite!!!

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Hey guys,

So I recently picked up a Yoshimura fender eliminator kit, put it on the bike and rode to work. Got off at work, checked the holder and it was hanging by the wires about an inch above my rear wheel!

Turns out you MUST put loctite threadlocker on the bolts, otherwise say bye bye to the bolts as I did :(

Since the kit doesn't come with the bolts (only the nuts) I thought I'd post the size of the bolts needed here in case someone else has the same misfortune and doesn't want to buy about 5 different sized bolts to see what fits...

5/16 3/4 inch will do it. Remember that loctite!!!
Good advice. Nyloc nuts is another option too.

5/16 is M8 for metric country members. :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Do people opt to eliminate the fenders merely for the changes in aesthetics

For me.. it was all about the looks... The only part in "looks" I didn't like on the 400... The back end just looked wrong to "me" with the stock setup. Although I do like the directionals separate from the brake light to be seen in a more positive way. Once tucked in closer to the body, they do not seem all that large to "me". This is the Vagabond eliminator and I love the stock look when finished. The design has bolts pressed on the Eliminator and then nuts applied... so no need in worrying about them falling out. Hands down, the best under $100.00 Mod "I" could do to this Motorcycle!

https://amzn.to/2LOuMwp :3tens:

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’ve bought several vagabond tail tidies. I have bought yoshimuira kits and kits from other manufacturers. For the price paid for the vagabond, you won’t find a better one. My inspection sites look for dot or some manufacturing designation in the turn signals, brake light, and plate light. I reused all the stock lights with the kit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
For me.. it was all about the looks... The only part in "looks" I didn't like on the 400... The back end just looked wrong to "me" with the stock setup. Although I do like the directionals separate from the brake light to be seen in a more positive way. Once tucked in closer to the body, they do not seem all that large to "me". This is the Vagabond eliminator and I love the stock look when finished. The design has bolts pressed on the Eliminator and then nuts applied... so no need in worrying about them falling out. Hands down, the best under $100.00 Mod "I" could do to this Motorcycle!

https://amzn.to/2LOuMwp :3tens:
Looks nice and clean. I really like the reuse of the stock blinkers and license plate lights. Many of the aftermarket lights look cheap and to my eye don't fit with the rest of the bike's looks. Thanks for sharing.

What tank and tail bags are you using? They look nice too. Are you satisified with them?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yes quite pleased in how it turned out..

What tank and tail bags are you using? They look nice too. Are you satisified with them?

They are both by Nelson Rigg and seeing we need small bags on a small bike, yes I like them for what they are.

Nelson tailbag - https://amzn.to/2ATdHN3
Nelson Magnetic Tank Bag - https://amzn.to/2MbV0Zf
I think they are fairly priced.

Reactions: motomation

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes quite pleased in how it turned out..

They are both by Nelson Rigg and seeing we need small bags on a small bike, yes I like them for what they are.
I have the strap version of the same tank bag on my BMW F650. I like the bag on the BMW and the look on your bike. Needed some storage space, so I replicated it. I may also consider some Nelson-Riggs saddle bags for a longer trip. Have you looked at those?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have the strap version of the same tank bag on my BMW F650. I like the bag on the BMW and the look on your bike. Needed some storage space, so I replicated it. I may also consider some Nelson-Riggs saddle bags for a longer trip. Have you looked at those?

Yes, I have the Nelson SPRT-40 version... only 10-11 liter per side.. they "should not" bother the wheel or the exhaust.. any larger bags may be an issue with stock exhaust. If you have the tail bag they don't look to bad over the top of it for absolute no side hang. :grin::nerd::grin: No rain cover included, but you can use a drybag inside which will end that problem.really not a lot of room..but a pair of sneakers split.. or rolled t-shirts, socks etc.. couple of drinks.. something like that. I am still waiting to find a zero gravity dark smoke touring windscreen in stock someplace and I will be ready to go across country.. or umm .. more likely to walmart down the road..:)

Reactions: motomation

·
Registered
656 Posts

Yes, I have the Nelson SPRT-40 version... only 10-11 liter per side.. they "should not" bother the wheel or the exhaust.. any larger bags may be an issue with stock exhaust. If you have the tail bag they don't look to bad over the top of it for absolute no side hang. :grin::nerd::grin: No rain cover included, but you can use a drybag inside which will end that problem.really not a lot of room..but a pair of sneakers split.. or rolled t-shirts, socks etc.. couple of drinks.. something like that. I am still waiting to find a zero gravity dark smoke touring windscreen in stock someplace and I will be ready to go across country.. or umm .. more likely to walmart down the road..:)
Fuby... just Plasti dip your wind screen, $6.00 - you just spray the underside and it will look awesome. its rubber you can peel off later.... If ya nee to.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Fuby... just Plasti dip your wind screen, $6.00 - you just spray the underside and it will look awesome. its rubber you can peel off later.... If ya nee to.
thanks for the thought, but..

While that may work, if I didn't make it look fugly with rubber runs... I actually like the windscreen size of the zero gravity touring windscreen.. and its only umm.. 80 dollars more than the spray...:)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Well since your gonna change it anywho, get the Plasti dip n spray the one ya got while you wait for the one you want... :nerd:

·
Registered
237 Posts
For those in AU and NZ. I'd recommend the one from mustardbike to save you a bit on shipping cost. Just got mine installed and it looks amazing
Yeah, I've got a Mustard Bikes one on mine, they're easy to install and look great

Attachments

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I just installed my fender eliminator that I got from
Custom Bike Parts

Also available on EBay
https://m.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-NINJA-EX400-EX-400-ABS-400ABS-Fender-Eliminator-Tail-Tidy-2018-2019/332780590936?fits=Model:Ninja+400&hash=item4d7b44d758:m:mafLm_uS3KPnjHoT0NLXBMg&var=541902734651

It was a very easy install and I like the fact that it allows you to use the stock signals. He also includes a LED plate light and a bare metal version if you want to save a few bucks and paint it yourself.

Quality materials and made in USA. Very quick shipping and good communication as well...highly recommended and a good value for $24.99.

Here are a few pics...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts