Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in uk we having a great summer weather is red hot ,so I decided to go and a see one of my friends
who is very ill.
I got the bike out to go the 32 miles I went nice and steady up to 60mph back down to 50 letting bike cool a down a bit,
I got to my friends house stopped bike and to my horror the bike tipped over on top of me, I had to get help to lift it,up on looking bike over nothing was broken just a few scratches.
After a a few hrs I started for home im on a 70 mph road and im in left hand lane going about 50 mph
I noticed a small blue car very close behind so I opened up a bit to 60 car was still very close in fact far to close,if I had to slow down it would have hit me ,so I thought ok had enough and opened throttle wide open at 90mph it was still behind me
but im now catching up to a lot of traffic,car pulles out and shoots passed me , and a white car which stayed close to blue as they went round bend in road,theres a parking area I can see blue flashing lights as I go by the white car was police and they had stopped the blue car,
but sadly my bike will no longer need a break in period now,how ever it runs just great,
keith

·
Registered
656 Posts
Here in uk we having a great summer weather is red hot ,so I decided to go and a see one of my friends
who is very ill.
I got the bike out to go the 32 miles I went nice and steady up to 60mph back down to 50 letting bike cool a down a bit,
I got to my friends house stopped bike and to my horror the bike tipped over on top of me, I had to get help to lift it,up on looking bike over nothing was broken just a few scratches.
After a a few hrs I started for home im on a 70 mph road and im in left hand lane going about 50 mph
I noticed a small blue car very close behind so I opened up a bit to 60 car was still very close in fact far to close,if I had to slow down it would have hit me ,so I thought ok had enough and opened throttle wide open at 90mph it was still behind me
but im now catching up to a lot of traffic,car pulles out and shoots passed me , and a white car which stayed close to blue as they went round bend in road,theres a parking area I can see blue flashing lights as I go by the white car was police and they had stopped the blue car,
but sadly my bike will no longer need a break in period now,how ever it runs just great,
keith,
So sorry to hear your bike fell over, I hope your not injured in anyway... Fortunately the bikes pretty light - you would be surprised how many people drop there new bikes purely by mistake, its not just a you thing.

Your in the UK, Yet you are quoting Mph instead of Km per hr...? Your bike should display Km per hr... 60 Mph is equal to 100 Km per hr so if you were doing 90 Mph you would be around 150 Km per hour - which I think sounds a bit fast - please let us know.

Traveling at a high rate of speed to be safe does not negate the break-in period, just because you went 30 miles at a higher speed then recommended - you still need to fallow as best you can the recommended breaking-in procedures, the transmission and many other components aren't getting exercised as they would in stop and go traffic.

How many total Km does the bike have now - make sure your reading it correctly please... if its Mph you need to take it to your dealer and have them change it.

Theres a ton of nice eager to help people here on the forums ready to help best we can, but we need to sort out the Mph Or Km Per hr first...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Mr MIKE, Sorry you have that wrong,.

as U K-Rider says here in UK we use
mph and my speedo is set to mph, and I was up to 90 miles an hour
surprised how easily it got to that speed,

Im not new to bikes, bike before this was a 1200 Harley sportster,and one before that,
was Honda VFR750, which was best bike I ever owned, out of a lot of bikes big and small
I passed my bike lince test in 1959,
keith

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bike falling...glad you are ok and the nice part, just a few scratches and right back on it!!

as we already know..some rear end drivers will always exist.. sigh. better days ahead.. safe travels..

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mr MIKE, Sorry you have that wrong,.

as U K-Rider says here in UK we use
mph and my speedo is set to mph, and I was up to 90 miles an hour
surprised how easily it got to that speed,

Im not new to bikes, bike before this was a 1200 Harley sportster,and one before that,
was Honda VFR750, which was best bike I ever owned, out of a lot of bikes big and small
I passed my bike lince test in 1959,
keith
Hello stikflote.
I stand corrected, Mph it is - You buy petrol by the liter who new.:biggrin:

I didn't assume you were a new rider cause your bike fell over my good man, I was just concerned with the statement that you don't need to continue the break-in process is all. Context eludes me sometimes - maybe you were just being funny saying since you went beyond the limits its no longer necessary...

Good day sir.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello stikflote.
I stand corrected, Mph it is - You buy petrol by the liter who new.:biggrin:

I didn't assume you were a new rider cause your bike fell over my good man, I was just concerned with the statement that you don't need to continue the break-in process is all. Context eludes me sometimes - maybe you were just being funny saying since you went beyond the limits its no longer necessary...

Good day sir.

Hello mr Mike not being funny just thought I might have spoilt the break in period
and yes it is funny that we buy our petrol by the litre govt make more money out of us when it was a gallon and price went up it was one hit,now when it goes up its on every litre our Petrol today is £1 31 a litre 4 So its about £6 a gallon,
how much is your petrol or gasoline?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hello mr Mike not being funny just thought I might have spoilt the break in period
and yes it is funny that we buy our petrol by the litre govt make more money out of us when it was a gallon and price went up it was one hit,now when it goes up its on every litre our Petrol today is £1 31 a litre 4 So its about £6 a gallon,
how much is your petrol or gasoline?

lol I just assumed you were Km per hr because you buy petrol by the liter - Just filled up the bike at 3.07 a gallon... total was $8.57

As for the Break-in you didn't spoil it, but these Ninja 400s have a weird break-in period compared to other bikes, Per the book - Max rpm to 600 miles is not to exceed 4000 Rpm and 600 to 1000 miles is not to exceed 6000 rpm.

How many miles do you currently have on your bike Sir....?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MR Mike your fuel is cheap that works out £6,45p so to fill my tank its around £13 ,
I,ll tell you a bit about UK the maximum speed is 70mph on our motorways and Aroads
its 50 on country roads it was 60 ,our number plate is legal in any part of UK
we keep the same licence But its split categories if you pass your test in a automatic car ,we cant drive a manual 4 on the floor
you lads say
but if you pass on a manual that allows you to drive an Auto, its very expensive to get a car or bike licence close to a thousand £pounds
Bike insurance is very expensive we are not allowed on road without it,you get the road tax on bike bike or car without it
any bike or car over 3years old must a ministry test ,£35 which is brakes lights exhaust corrosion steering and other bits,if any are not good we get a certain time
to make good otherwise we pay for another test if they find cars dangerouse then its taken off road till its fixed or scrapped,Nice talking to you Keith

·
Registered
656 Posts
MR Mike your fuel is cheap that works out £6,45p so to fill my tank its around £13 ,
I,ll tell you a bit about UK the maximum speed is 70mph on our motorways and Aroads
its 50 on country roads it was 60 ,our number plate is legal in any part of UK
we keep the same licence But its split categories if you pass your test in a automatic car ,we cant drive a manual 4 on the floor
you lads say
but if you pass on a manual that allows you to drive an Auto, its very expensive to get a car or bike licence close to a thousand £pounds
Bike insurance is very expensive we are not allowed on road without it,you get the road tax on bike bike or car without it
any bike or car over 3years old must a ministry test ,£35 which is brakes lights exhaust corrosion steering and other bits,if any are not good we get a certain time
to make good otherwise we pay for another test if they find cars dangerouse then its taken off road till its fixed or scrapped,Nice talking to you Keith

Insurance how much..? Our operator license is about $50.00 for a stranded lic.

My insurance for the bike is 650.00 year, you get a driver license with additional endorsements added as you pass the tests for them. Road tax is included in gas price..

We pay yearly for our vehical license plates, based on vehicle value.. The 400 cost me 165.00 to register for a plate but next year it will go down a little.

license & plates are pretty much good everywhere in the North america while traveling, you only Chang it if you move to a different state permanently.

Each state has smog laws with California being the strictest. Road rules are pretty much the same state to state thou, 75-80 mph on highways, 45 on 3 lane in town and 25 on residential streets and others with posted sign limits.

We don't have a vat tax, but pay a tax on everything you buy that is not a necessity like food, we pay for personal health insurance monthly, we pay an income tax to the us government and in some states a state income tax.

Nice chatting Sir.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What way did it fall? To the left or right? Hate to say it but I did the same, happened when I was messing with the shifter at a light it fell to the left. somehow I managed to lift it with my noddle arms and my 105lb body. Only a few small scratches on the lower front fender that I plan to just cover with some decals. I would hate to drop it on the right side, feel that would do so much more damage.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello it fell to the right with me underneath, lucky only a few scratches.
I was stopped outside mates house just about to get off,

·
Registered
656 Posts
What way did it fall? To the left or right? Hate to say it but I did the same, happened when I was messing with the shifter at a light it fell to the left. somehow I managed to lift it with my noddle arms and my 105lb body. Only a few small scratches on the lower front fender that I plan to just cover with some decals. I would hate to drop it on the right side, feel that would do so much more damage.
lol... You should seriously consider racing, you would be the fastest person on the track.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello it fell to the right with me underneath, lucky only a few scratches.
I was stopped outside mates house just about to get off,
Glad you and the bike are okay, sounds like you saved it for the most part. :)

lol... You should seriously consider racing, you would be the fastest person on the track.
Haha maybe, think I need a bit more training, I'm still on my M2.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts